Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 325 of 862
madhouse1
natasha8850
Serenity_Now
Was wondering if anyone would be able to share any details on the below? I've had a look through this thread and a few others but wasn't sure if the information was still current:

*Anyone have an upgrade cost for LED downlights and whether the provided downlights are still only 4.5w? I'm thinking of asking PD to only rough in the downlights but am concerned that post handover when the electrician drills into the ceiling that there will be a beam in the way!

*I understand that PD uses Wattyl paint, anyone have an upgrade cost and whether they were able to change it to something else e.g. Dulux?

Thanks!

I wouldnt get porter davis to do your downlights, from memory its about 150 for a normal down light not a LED and around the 200 mark for LED, we are building the waldorf so downstairs we got all battans and they cost $65.00 each and we got our own LED lights and once we get them installed it still will be alot cheaper then they quoted!!

hope that helps

We did the same! I just found that when you added them all up there is such a lot. It will be a pain having to change them all over but probably about $50 per light less in the long run.

I was at Tender today and asked about changing paint suppliers. Answer was that can't change suppliers from Wattyl due to contractual reasons. My understanding is that they use Dulux on the exterior if this helps you out.
So we had our Tender appointment today - about 6.5hrs. Still not finished as we had to leave. Back again on Monday to finish everything off.....
MummaDJ
Mikey_Harrison
chrystee
Hi madhouse. OMG 7 hours! did you change the floor plan much? Our is pretty standard and we're building an access home with only a few modifications around walls, doors and windows to our alresco. Hope it doesn't take that long. Our contract appointment is after the January long weekend.

Hi Chrystee
Contract took about 7 hours for us too and we were Access. No major changes either...
Go in with a list of mods that you can check off as the order keeps changing on all documents.
See that they match the quoted prices from your Sales Consultant and check everything !!
And take all emails for confirmation... there were a few things they weren't going to add but I had the emails and quotes from the Sales Consultant so they did.
I guess the main delays during the day was waiting for the plans to be changed by the draftsman upstairs, a few times...
Best would be to plan that it takes the day... I had to keep calling work during the day saying 'd me late and I never made it...
And I thought it was just going to take 2 hours !!
Silly me
But, it's not too tricky, just make sure you understand everything and query what you dont know or dont understand as you'll be refering to this contract for 2 more years !
Good Luck
Mikey

Hi guys
Just to check, is this 7 hours for your Tender or Contract. We have our Tender for a Lifestyle this week. I have 4 hours in my mind.

We spent 8 hours on Tender with a 9AM start and they still had to make some adjustments after we left and signed the final tender a few days later.

We also then had an 8.5 hour 9AM start Contract signing.

We then had a 3.5 hour final construction drawing signing. Don't know why this one was so long thou, as we were just waiting for them to present them.

I'm just retrospectively updating my blog with my tender now and as I’m writing it there was so much we did on each of tender/contract appointment.
Ive just remembered - (how quickly you forget!!) we ended up having two tender appointments. We told them we wouldn't be signing anything on the first tender because they wouldn't let us see anything before the 'big day' and I didn't want to feel pressured to sign there abd then on the day.
They were both pretty long because there was so much wrong.
My best advise is to make a long list if all your upgrades, changes, additions and finally questions and systematically go through it. Don't rely on PD having made your requested changes and make sure you understand everything fully. Oh and cross check and question every price you're given for changes. For example, to move a wall should cost you nothing, it's still the same work and materials involved.... Good luck everyone, it's an exhausting process.
We had 2 tenders, about 10 hrs all up, and 2 contract days, due to their refusal to provide prior. We dragged it out. It was exhausting.

Even on the last contract day, we were waiting for our energy rating to be completed. At one stage, we were looking at having zero downlights. We nearly walked over that single issue, forget all the rest of the issues.

Up till contract signing, it was a nightmare, afterwards was fantastic until handover.
Hi everyone, Could anyone possibly tell me which caesarstone bench-tops are standard please... silly me didnt write down what the category 1 caeserstone colours are.

I do have 'the classic colour collection' pamphlet provided by porter davis that has a + mark indicating there standard range.... would this + be the category 1 range?
djames
I do have 'the classic colour collection' pamphlet provided by porter davis that has a + mark indicating there standard range.... would this + be the category 1 range?

Yes - Cat 1 and Standard are the same thing.
Not all the ones in the booklet are cat1 we gother night sky but that was a cat2 with hopetoun but cat1 on booklet
Anyone have issues whereby the Construction plans were WRONG?! The draftsperson wrote the wrong dimension on a plan (I didn't pick it up as I didn't know what it meant) and the carpenter built it to the dimension (wrong) on the plan

My contract CLEARLY states the proper dimensions tho.. This is a dispute that I raised with my SS and BC (several emails and phonecalls) but nothing seems to be happening.. and I just get ignored... and it looks like they will just continue regardless of my protests!

NOT HAPPY Porter Davis... not happy at all!!
seashoremontague21
Not all the ones in the booklet are cat1 we gother night sky but that was a cat2 with hopetoun but cat1 on booklet

Oh no not more upgrades

Ok so ill ask this then.... are any of the following cat 1,

pure white
snow
osprey
white shimmer
organic white

thanks for your replies.
Osprey is definitely cat 1. I have them written down somewhere, I'll have a look.
Hope this helps, but what I was told about 6 months ago....

pure white - NOT AVAILABLE
snow - CAT 3
osprey - CAT 1
white shimmer - CAT 2
organic white - CAT 3

Other Cat 1's include:
Nimbus
Ice Snow
Ivory
Latte
Zulu

madhouse1
Osprey is definitely cat 1. I have them written down somewhere, I'll have a look.

Awesome.... you have made my night, hopefully your notes confirm this.

Thanks for sharing.
madhouse1
Hope this helps, but what I was told about 6 months ago....

pure white - NOT AVAILABLE
snow - CAT 3
osprey - CAT 1
white shimmer - CAT 2
organic white - CAT 3

Other Cat 1's include:
Nimbus
Ice Snow
Ivory
Latte
Zulu

Thanks heaps madhouse1!!!

osprey it is then and the good thing is that out of all the whites that was our first choice... I can go to bed happy now
djames
seashoremontague21

Oh no not more upgrades

pure white
snow
osprey
white shimmer
organic white

thanks for your replies.

I have written down the following as Category 1 - Osprey, Ice Snow, Latte - there is one more. I believe there are only 4 in Category 1. This is from a visit in November.
Were having Osprey too. I'm so glad it was your first choice... go to carserstones website and they'll post you out a free sample, it's a great help with matching things to it

Good luck with the colour selections and I'm very happy to hear you'll be sleeping well tonight. It's great when something works out!!
MummaDJ
djames
seashoremontague21

Oh no not more upgrades

pure white
snow
osprey
white shimmer
organic white

thanks for your replies.

I have written down the following as Category 1 - Osprey, Ice Snow, Latte - there is one more. I believe there are only 4 in Category 1. This is from a visit in November.

Great further proof osprey is cat 1
cheers
jnkbids
Anyone have issues whereby the Construction plans were WRONG?! The draftsperson wrote the wrong dimension on a plan (I didn't pick it up as I didn't know what it meant) and the carpenter built it to the dimension (wrong) on the plan

My contract CLEARLY states the proper dimensions tho.. This is a dispute that I raised with my SS and BC (several emails and phonecalls) but nothing seems to be happening.. and I just get ignored... and it looks like they will just continue regardless of my protests!

Hi Jnkbids,
We need to find a resolution to your concerns ASAP. Could you please private message me on this forum with your contact and build details and I will follow up and get back to you.
Regards
Helen
madhouse1
Were having Osprey too. I'm so glad it was your first choice... go to carserstones website and they'll post you out a free sample, it's a great help with matching things to it

Good luck with the colour selections and I'm very happy to hear you'll be sleeping well tonight. It's great when something works out!!

Thanks for the tip... I will def be getting that sample, yes it would be a great help. Out of all the whites I think its the nicest with a nice blend of tones in the flakes and not too big... and still white in all.

It is nice when something works out as we are trying to stick with mainly cat1 as the price would easily sky rocket. so far we are not doing to bad... however I have not even looked at tiles yet... I read somewhere that the cat 1 choices were not very nice. In saying that we are going for a clean white look throughout (like the amalfi at providence (minus the greys)) so hopefully we find something nice.
Team PD
jnkbids

Hi Jnkbids,
We need to find a resolution to your concerns ASAP. Could you please private message me on this forum with your contact and build details and I will follow up and get back to you.
Regards
Helen

Just sent you a pm Helen.. Hope you can help
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum