Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 322 of 862
inglewood
chrystee
Had my electrical and colour selections yesterday. All went really well, very happy with the selections, the colour consultant was awesome. Very exciting! I have started a blog, the link is

http://chrysteeporterdavis.blogspot.com.au/

Lovely floor plan! What a huge pantry you'll have! Looking forward to following your progress!

We've just this week got our dates for our tender and colour appointments - in March. Can't wait!

Thanks Inglewood. I really didn't want the fridge in the pantry, but they wouldn't let me change it. I've deleted the melamine shelves and am doing it myself after handover. I want part bench space, part pantry cupboard, and part open shelves
I don't want all my products on display, and I think the dust would get to them because there is no door on the pantry.
When is your land expected to title?
jnkbids
ma2531
PD had given us R6.0 batts in the celing, and R2.5 in walls and sisalation, and all double glazed windows in the lounge/study/dining windows. so hoping it will be good enough. ill let u know whenever the house is finished!
keep up the good work.........................

Is there a way of confirming the windows are double-glazed? My plans say PD to supply as double glazed windows as well so I was wondering if there was a way of visually confirming they are double-glazed. Do your double-glazed windows look different to the standards? Don't suppose you have a picture of the double glazed window (close up of the glass) as I couldn't see one on you blog...

Your plans should say DG next to the window name to indicate double glazed. A double glazed window is easy to tell, look at the frame and you can see to two pieces of glass separated by about 7mm of open air space. The windows/doors generally feel a a-lot more solid.
chrystee
inglewood
chrystee
Had my electrical and colour selections yesterday. All went really well, very happy with the selections, the colour consultant was awesome. Very exciting! I have started a blog, the link is

Lovely floor plan! What a huge pantry you'll have! Looking forward to following your progress!

We've just this week got our dates for our tender and colour appointments - in March. Can't wait!

Thanks Inglewood. I really didn't want the fridge in the pantry, but they wouldn't let me change it. I've deleted the melamine shelves and am doing it myself after handover. I want part bench space, part pantry cupboard, and part open shelves
I don't want all my products on display, and I think the dust would get to them because there is no door on the pantry.

I'm not sure what series of house you are building, but moving the walls around so that the fridge isn't in the pantry should not be a big deal all all. I'm not sure what their issue is. At most it would cost $300 and about 10mins for a drafter to update. If you are really keen on this you should push for it. One thing I've found is that nearly anything can be done right up to final drawings (and even after) You just need ask in the right way and be patient. Don't be afraid to tell them you will walk away to another builder who will do it for you. That being said, looking at the plans for your house, I don't think you would have enough room to rotate the fridge into the Kitchen, especially if you have/plan to have a wide fridge.

Another thing to think about is that you could add a cavity sliding pantry door. From memory they are around $300.
I'm not sure what series of house you are building, but moving the walls around so that the fridge isn't in the pantry should not be a big deal all all. I'm not sure what their issue is. At most it would cost $300 and about 10mins for a drafter to update. If you are really keen on this you should push for it. One thing I've found is that nearly anything can be done right up to final drawings (and even after) You just need ask in the right way and be patient. Don't be afraid to tell them you will walk away to another builder who will do it for you. That being said, looking at the plans for your house, I don't think you would have enough room to rotate the fridge into the Kitchen, especially if you have/plan to have a wide fridge.

Another thing to think about is that you could add a cavity sliding pantry door. From memory they are around $300.[/quote]

I thought about moving the fridge space to face the island but there is not enough room to do it. I do have a large fridge. I asked about getting a cavity sliding door too and was told there is not enough room to do it, but at the same time I don't really want to be opening another door just to get to my fridge! But it would have been nice to have the option.

Another thing to think about is that you could add a cavity sliding pantry door. From memory they are around $300.[/quote]

Hey PDKallara33
You'd be surprised how limited the choices and alterations are in the Access range. Both Lifestyle and Prestige offer a lot of negotiation for changes. Bigger builds, bigger budgets... Generally a 2nd or 3rd home owner, maybe more idea of what they want ? I built an Access and pretty much got what I wanted, but by no means does PDA have the breadth an depth on offer to PDL or PDP. Just a smaller crew so less availability for change... even it it seems logical or doable...
I got quite a few changes though that they told me no one ever asks for which surprised me...
Happy Christmas all
Mike
New Porter Davis display centre ‘Ambrosia’ opens in the East on Saturday 5 January.

For those of you who are yet to have the colour selections appointment with Hopetoun, this is a great opportunity to see first-hand the latest interior design themes and colours available from Porter Davis.

Take this opportunity to view the all new ‘Prestige’ range Waldorf 46 with the brand new Hyde Park façade which features the Bordeaux France World of Style, the all new Dunedin 29 which was recently launched into the ‘Lifestyle’ range and features the Californian Desert World of Style and the Cannonvale 21 from the ‘Access’ range which features the Legian Bali World of Style.

On Sunday the 13th and 20th of January there will also be a range of activities on at our ‘Ambrosia’ display centre which will feature face painting, barista made coffee and even a visit from Mr Whippy.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Ambrosia Display Centre
Fortuna Crescent
Cranbourne West
Melways Ref 132 J4
chrystee
inglewood
chrystee

I see what you mean about the fridge. Hopefully you'll be able to sort something out. Are you making any other changes to the floor plan?

Not sure when our land will title. They say worst case scenario is June - so hopefully April/May (March would be great but I think that's being too hopeful!
). Construction vehicles are busy on the land digging for the pipes. Roads haven't been started yet.

RE 24/7 PORTAL...

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if ANYONE out there actually has their 24/7 portal kept up to date?

We are now almost at lock up and have had no photos posted at all, let alone our final contract variations or building variations.... in fact even our colour selections aren't on there. Our electrical selections are actually on there....but it's the wrong version and our tile selections have never been put on there. There are NO progress claim details on there either even though we've paid all deposit monies and two progress stages now.

It's pretty disappointing when the sales guys all tell you about this fantastic 24/7 site where you have access to everything.... and nothing is ever actually put on it.

Is it just me - or is everyone in the same situation?
pdkallara33
jnkbids
ma2531
PD had given us R6.0 batts in the celing, and R2.5 in walls and sisalation, and all double glazed windows in the lounge/study/dining windows. so hoping it will be good enough. ill let u know whenever the house is finished!
keep up the good work.........................

Is there a way of confirming the windows are double-glazed? My plans say PD to supply as double glazed windows as well so I was wondering if there was a way of visually confirming they are double-glazed. Do your double-glazed windows look different to the standards? Don't suppose you have a picture of the double glazed window (close up of the glass) as I couldn't see one on you blog...

Your plans should say DG next to the window name to indicate double glazed. A double glazed window is easy to tell, look at the frame and you can see to two pieces of glass separated by about 7mm of open air space. The windows/doors generally feel a a-lot more solid.

Our plans say the same....but..... Our windows where it says DG on the plans look to be standard windows to my untrained eye, i thought it would be obvious to see the difference but I don't think we have been supplied with double glazed at all, another thing to chase up!!!
Also, this may be a stupid question, so I'll apologise in advance
.....but is there any way to tell which batts are the correct ones? Our contract says R6.0 in roof and R2.5 in external walls also, when I get to that stage what should I look for to see if we have in fact been given the correct batts?
Thanks - in advance
chrystee
madhouse1
chrystee
Is there anything else I should have put in my contact? Any other tips you can give me? Thank you

Hi chrystee,
Some of the great ideas we've picked up to add to our contract have been from the Porter Davis upgrades forum, if you don't know it, the link is on my blog (which is 'clickable' at the bottom of this page - not on phones though, just a PC)
Here are some things I remember:
Plumbing behind the fridge for fridges that have water dispensers or ice makers.
Plumbing to any area you might like an inbuilt coffee machine
Outside powerpoints
Plumbing for a BBQ in the alfresco
Obviously lots of powerpoints
Gas point for any future fireplace you may have in mind
Think about how you will use your kitchen pot drawers, and they can be reconfigured if necessary. (I didnt want 8 shallow ones, so changed that)

Those are just a few things, hopefully the upgrade forum will help and good luck!!

Thank you very much madhouse1 I have had a look at that, and the things you forgot summary. I'm nervous about the contact signing and am very disappointment that they won't allow me to review it until the actually day! Even the night before would be fine, at least that way I would be able to come in ready and more prepared. I feel it would benefit them as well. Are you allowed to bring other people to your contact appointment to help you? Did you get your contact read over by a solicitor? I have read the standard HIA contact.

Sorry Chrystee, I have just seen this now!!

I dont see why you couldnt bring along anyone you like to the contract appointment, ours went for about 7 hours - ridiculously long....and I completely agree with you about having the plans prior to the contract to look over, this is why it took so long on the day, we still hadn't finished after all that time but because the draftspeople went home we could do no more!!!
I didn't get the contract read over by a solicitor, but like you I did read it myself.
You've probably had your appointment by now - if so how did it go?
Mikey_Harrison
At PCI (6 months ago) I logged an issue with a missing roof tile above the rear garage rollerdoor. There was flashing there and it was sealed, but it still needed a roof tile as the flashing area was HUGE. Tile was added, I was happy.

Flash Forward to this weekend…
I was on the garage roof washing the cobwebs off the second story walls and noticed on the rear roofline that touches the house that the tile they used was a DIFFERENT COLOUR. They slotted it in on the lowest row away from the window so I couldn’t see it when I looked out the window, and it was just behind the wall so you couldn’t see the different coloured tile from the ground. In fact you’d never see it if you were not on the roof…

And guess what colour this rouge roof tile is ??? The same colour as my neighbour’s (different builder). So do I assumed the guy who installed this tile it just mistakenly got the wrong colour from another PD site and failed to notice as he swaped 2-4 tiles on my roof, or do I assumed they stole the tile from the next door building site ? No wonder I had so many of their tiles in my yard. I assumed the neighbour’s builder just chucked the broken ones in my yard before the fence went up… Poor form either way !

Look closely people !
Mikey

Wow, that's not good at all. You'd probably put that one on the tradesman, although Porter Davis are ultimately responsible.
We went to have a look at the 3 new Ambrosia Displays at Cranbourne yesterday.

The Dunedin 29 there has the Bolero Laminate Flooring (I checked with Hopetoun). As this is the standard timber look flooring currently in the Flooring Package, it is great to see this in a display in large scale.

Sorry pictures so big, not sure how to make smaller.
madhouse1

Our plans say the same....but..... Our windows where it says DG on the plans look to be standard windows to my untrained eye, i thought it would be obvious to see the difference but I don't think we have been supplied with double glazed at all, another thing to chase up!!!
Also, this may be a stupid question, so I'll apologise in advance
.....but is there any way to tell which batts are the correct ones? Our contract says R6.0 in roof and R2.5 in external walls also, when I get to that stage what should I look for to see if we have in fact been given the correct batts?
Thanks - in advance

PD's windows are supplied by Stegbar from memory, I would got and check out a Stegbar show room and ask to see a single glazed and a double glazzed window.

I also remember that the PD Waldorf 48 in Greenvale had double glazing specifically the upstairs master bedroom window/door, because I remember taking specific notice while our 1 yr old DD was playing on the bed.

Another method I thought off that might work if you have someone on the outside and someone on the inside and have one person slightly push the glass in the middle just enough to flex the glass, if its double glazed the person on the other side should not feel the pushing as its separated by air...

In regards to your R6.0 batts, they will be very thick around 260mm based on Bradford batts.

http://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au/getdoc/91345c74-c3e6-4e77-aabd-b96fb5ffbd93/Gold-high-performance.aspx

R2.5 Wall batts will be around 90mm thick.

http://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au/Products/Residential/Thermal-insulation/Gold-wall.aspx
pdkallara33

Thanks.. my plans have DG marked clearly but I just want to make sure double glazed windows are installed by PD and not regular windows .. things tend to slip through the cracks sometimes..
madhouse1

That is my main worry too... I personally hope that if the wrong windows are installed, they will be replaced!! poked around the stack of window frames on my block but can't seem to see any double glazed windows... maybe they haven't been delivered yet... another thing to make a note of later and chase up...
looks like PD tradies started work back early.. my 1st floor frame just got added to the home.. Updated the blog with pictures..
madhouse1
RE 24/7 PORTAL...

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if ANYONE out there actually has their 24/7 portal kept up to date?

We are now almost at lock up and have had no photos posted at all, let alone our final contract variations or building variations.... in fact even our colour selections aren't on there. Our electrical selections are actually on there....but it's the wrong version and our tile selections have never been put on there. There are NO progress claim details on there either even though we've paid all deposit monies and two progress stages now.

It's pretty disappointing when the sales guys all tell you about this fantastic 24/7 site where you have access to everything.... and nothing is ever actually put on it.

Is it just me - or is everyone in the same situation?

Hi madhouse1,
If you could Private Message me with your contact and build details, I will look into this for you.
Cheers, Helen
jnkbids
looks like PD tradies started work back early.. my 1st floor frame just got added to the home.. Updated the blog with pictures..

You must be the only one, mine, and the PD houses near me have had no work done today, we were supposed to have framing starting today, not even a delivery of timber or lines marked down disappointing.
Lucky ^^ No work for us today either! We are heading towards PCI now and I am itching to be in the house already!!
madhouse1

Ours was next to useless. There was a list of phone calls (with no details) and the ticker thingy was updated when each stage was complete, but that was pretty much it. The few times I couldn't find something in my own records the 24/7 didn't have it either.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum