Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 276 of 862
CBPH
Zinner, I feel for you, we have friends in the same position as you with PD, it is a bloody joke. They are at the point now of thinking about hiring a private detective to find where their SS lives so they can hassle him every single day in person until what they have paid for is completed.

ZOMG!!!
I dont think I would get to that point but I know exactly the frustration they are feeling. The sense of feeling totally powerless to do anything about it is sometimes overwhelming.

I personally don't blame the BC or new SS. I believe they are doing all they can. I dont think its the new SS's fault as from what I hear, he has been swamped with extra builds since the restructure. From the jist of how my old SS was, if they don't have anything positive to report they usually wont answer the call. If they have good news to deliver, then they answer it.

My assumption is that its more of a bean counter / upper management thing and they are directing resources to where they are most needed by the company. I guess there are builds out there that need more attention than my build does at the moment.

I'm am also very very happy with the workmanship on my build. The place looks awesome!! It is just the few things that need repairs that are holding the whole build up and pushing it into overtime. I know I'll be happy once I get in... after all, its like my house has already hit the 3 month repair stage so at least there wont be many surprises.

In summary.. very happy with the quality of the build, just need the minor errors fixed (alfresco roof and balcony) and to LET ME IN!!!
Squeaky wheel and all that though Zinner, get on to the Construction Manager and ask when your build is going to become a priority. Definitely understand it's not the current SS etc fault, they can only work with what they've been left with.

Really hope it all gets sorted for you soon.
JLD
Squeaky wheel and all that though Zinner, get on to the Construction Manager and ask when your build is going to become a priority. Definitely understand it's not the current SS etc fault, they can only work with what they've been left with.

Really hope it all gets sorted for you soon.

Thanks JLD.

Squeaky wheel
...maybe I should of "unleashed" the DW onto them earlier in the build... her, in all her glory, doesn't really fit the definition of squeaky however... more like fingernails on blackboard

Even though the only explanation I have been given is "..don't know why, its just one of those things.." I can make another assumption and say that it might also be due to Repairs. From what I understand, Tradies are not very fond of fixing up other Tradies mistakes. Something about having to accept responsibility for the other Tradies mistakes which in could turn into a legal issue for them down the track. This leaves the builder having to wait for the original contractor /Tradesmen to come back and fix there mistakes. I guess a lot of tradies are not really fond of doing this as there is no money to be made in the short term from it. Again, this is just another assumption by me.

At the end of the day, the SS should be there to inspect and approve all work done BEFORE the tradesmen get paid for it. I don't this happened with some of the earlier stages of my build and waiting for them to come back and fix repairs could be another reason why it has blown out.
Geez when reading trouble people like humble and Zinner are having I feel silly complaining on here about my issues!

We love our house but still have a couple of issues that need to be addressed, my BC and SS are both aware of it, but seem less interested now that we are in.

The back door to our garage has a different lock to the rest of the house, and we don't have a key for this lock. Found that out the hard way when our driveway was done lol.
Our phone wiring in our data cabinet is wrong so we haven't yet had our phones connected. I'm told this is an Argus issue and the are to make a time to fix it, but after 3 weeks since i was told this, I'm starting to think its a PD issue.
I never did get an answer to my query about the Cat 5e connectors
Hi All. Just needed your opinions on a few things.

1. When your bricks were cleaned, for those whose garage was on the boundary, did they clean the bricks if the it was on the boundary.

2. We received an invoice for lock-up and after inspecting the house, we didnt feel it was at lock up. There was a window missing from the bathroom, laundry door was on but doesn't close as the frame is too big, there are 2 alfresco doors missing of the 5. Thoughts?

Thanks your opinions are appreciated
They should clean every brick. Ours was on boundary and they cleaned them. When they did neighbours on the other side they covered our house by tarping it. So that the acid wash never went on our windows and plants.
Doesn't seem to be much love for PD at the moment. Shame, used to have a pretty good rep.

Can someone please explain how the invoices get sent to us. Don't the accounts payable team at PD send you the invoices based on the HIA recommended schedule that we have signed.
Advance = 5% of contract
Slab = 10% of contract value
Frame = 15 % of contract value
Lock up = 35% of contract value
Fix = 25% of contract value
Completion = 10% of contract value + PCV

So far we have just completed the frame stage and we have received invoices amounting to 50% of the contract value instead of 30% of the contract value. Is this the case with everyone that has built with PD. i have sent an email to their accounts payable to provide an explanation. I think its better to have the money in my bank account than their bank account.
captainsideburns
Doesn't seem to be much love for PD at the moment. Shame, used to have a pretty good rep.

Still do
but there are always ups and downs with builds. Sometimes there's a run of annoying things that get you down and we vent on here. I think you'll find though that for all of those who have recently finished will tell you they love their house.

J & C
Can someone please explain how the invoices get sent to us. Don't the accounts payable team at PD send you the invoices based on the HIA recommended schedule that we have signed.
Advance = 5% of contract
Slab = 10% of contract value
Frame = 15 % of contract value
Lock up = 35% of contract value
Fix = 25% of contract value
Completion = 10% of contract value + PCV

So far we have just completed the frame stage and we have received invoices amounting to 50% of the contract value instead of 30% of the contract value. Is this the case with everyone that has built with PD. i have sent an email to their accounts payable to provide an explanation. I think money in my bank is better than money in their bank account.

Yep it's based on your contract, sounds like somethings gone wrong somewhere
Did anyone else go to the Coco Republic sale at the PD houses in Williams Landing today? I did, but didn't really find anything. I was however completely amazed at the rudeness of some people. I was pushed down the stairs when someone thought I wanted 'their' cushion. Hilarious
It's a real frenzy, so amazing what people will do for what they think is a bargain. It is still extremely overpriced considering the stuff is second hand and showing wear.

We went to one a while ago. We bought a matching chair and ottoman, which they lost the ottoman. So we decided against the chair as we wanted them together. It was a real waste of time as it was on the other side of the city.

People were just walking out with stuff to load up on their trailers, I reckon it got pinched.
We went to the sale at Williams landing. And I agree ppl are just rude. We ended up buying 7 frames for our theatre, study and ensuite. And got all of them for $900 with very strong negotiations. We were wrapped with it.
Quick question, above our alfresco slide doors and windows we have a grey metal strip to cover the brick holes, do they paint them or just leave it grey?
Wow, that sale seems crazy!

We drove out to the block today to see the site scrape
3hour round trip - how completely dull and outrageously exciting, lol!
Is it normal for PD to use F5 pine for the frames instead of MGP10.
Doreen_Kallara33
Quick question, above our alfresco slide doors and windows we have a grey metal strip to cover the brick holes, do they paint them or just leave it grey?

The steel plate (or wood in some cases) should get painted the same colour as your window / sliding door frames (assuming aluminium).
J & C

The contract states that F5 is used for the wall construction (Studs / noggings), but MGP10 is generally used for load bearing beams / bottom plates, and roof trusses.

Some more info here:

http://www.*.com/f76/using-f5-timber-instead-mgp-10-a-95380/
Rups
J & C

The contract states that F5 is used for the wall construction (Studs / noggings), but MGP10 is generally used for load bearing beams / bottom plates, and roof trusses.

Some more info here:

http://www.*.com/f76/using-f5-timber-instead-mgp-10-a-95380/

Thanks for this! I thought they always used MGP10 in all their houses they constructed some years ago.

I read from your blog on this forum that you have used New Home Inspections, Has PD rectified any error / flaws that were pointed out by the home inspector, what process did you followed.
J & C
I read from your blog on this forum that you have used New Home Inspections, Has PD rectified any error / flaws that were pointed out by the home inspector, what process did you followed.

Yep. Every single one. I'm just updating the blog with a copy of the report from the pre-handover inspection and how that went, so stay tuned.

For the other reports, we sent them to our BC as soon as we got them, asking for immediate attention. For items from the slab/frame report, NHI will review the rectification at the pre-plaster Inspection. You have to follow up with your SS for rectification of the items from the pre-plaster inspection. The pre-handover defects form part of the PCI fix list.
hi guys just updated blog for those interested.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum