Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 28 of 862
oded
My partner and i were building with Porter davis and we just got the house after 3 weeks late. As per the contract, they have to pay $250 per week. However, they have refused to pay because of the brick issues.
As far as we read on HIA contract, there is nothing to say they are not liable to pay if they have a brick issue. They havent advised what kind of brick issue. they just advised that the house was delayed because of bad plastering job by their contractor as per what they advised us.
We have to pay rent for another month because of they couldnt get their job done . There is still some outstanding tasks that are yet to be completed from the handover.
Can anyone advise whether they are liable for the delay?
Thanks

I think Clause 34 of the contract is the relevant part for this.
Building work can be extended due to "any other cause that is beyond the Builder's direct control". Not sure whether bad plastering job is out of their control, after all the SS supposed to watch over the building process & make sure the contractors are doing their jobs.
Then 34.1 states that they have to give you a written notice stating the cause & the extent of the delay.
If you disputed the delay then 34.2 states that you have to tive them a written notice.

That's just my thought.
oded
My partner and i were building with Porter davis and we just got the house after 3 weeks late. As per the contract, they have to pay $250 per week. However, they have refused to pay because of the brick issues.
As far as we read on HIA contract, there is nothing to say they are not liable to pay if they have a brick issue. They havent advised what kind of brick issue. they just advised that the house was delayed because of bad plastering job by their contractor as per what they advised us.
We have to pay rent for another month because of they couldnt get their job done . There is still some outstanding tasks that are yet to be completed from the handover.
Can anyone advise whether they are liable for the delay?
Thanks

I would say that any time after the standard contract days they are late they will be paying me $250. So for me 7 days past 176 days I will be asking them for money

I'm no expert but that's what it says in the contract, and thats what I'm expecting if a delay happens
We have been told that our house will be late. Were are going to loose around $3k stamp duty deduction because of it. The house needed to be completed within 12mths to get the deduction. I am interested to see how this 'guarantee' is going to work. Our house waited 4 weeks for a brick layer (not bricks) and missed the guaranteed site start. We have had some rectification work done from contract errors and PD have started to let me know its because of this. (as if its my fault for wanting what I was expecting)

For all their PD points of difference, that supposedly add $14k value to you - I have not found anything to be worthwhile. PD 24/7 has only been updated once (at my request) and now it seems from the above they dont want to be held to their guarantee completion date
Lunchtime
We have been told that our house will be late. Were are going to loose around $3k stamp duty deduction because of it. The house needed to be completed within 12mths to get the deduction. I am interested to see how this 'guarantee' is going to work. Our house waited 4 weeks for a brick layer (not bricks) and missed the guaranteed site start. We have had some rectification work done from contract errors and PD have started to let me know its because of this. (as if its my fault for wanting what I was expecting)

For all their PD points of difference, that supposedly add $14k value to you - I have not found anything to be worthwhile. PD 24/7 has only been updated once (at my request) and now I see they dont want to be held to their guarantee completion date

Clause 34 states that they can claim extension of time for a request for variation by the owner.
With the brick layer, I think it is not beyond the builder's direct control, at least I would argue that with them.

Did they give you written notice informing you of the extension of time? They have to include the cause & extent of the delay in the letter.
SSAZ
Lunchtime

For all their PD points of difference, that supposedly add $14k value to you - I have not found anything to be worthwhile. PD 24/7 has only been updated once (at my request) and now I see they dont want to be held to their guarantee completion date

Clause 34 states that they can claim extension of time for a request for variation by the owner.
With the brick layer, I think it is not beyond the builder's direct control, at least I would argue that with them.

Did they give you written notice informing you of the extension of time? They have to include the cause & extent of the delay in the letter.

No, they have not given anything officially. With the building variations that we have signed they state something along the lines of "this will add 0 days to the constrution time" (not the exact words, I dont have it infront of me)
Lunchtime
No, they have not given anything officially. With the building variations that we have signed they state something along the lines of "this will add 0 days to the constrution time" (not the exact words, I dont have it infront of me)

Then I guess you have a strong argument against them since they didn't do it in writing & not in accordance to Clause 34 of the Contract.

Probably Jess from Porter Davis can help you more on this matter, send her a PM.
I have had delay claim letters for brick delays and for hiring my own inspector ...

Spewing that my build is taking so long!
Debra50
Team PD
Hi Debra,

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations. Have you brought these issues up with your New Home Care Administrator? PD only recently began including insulation batts (roughly 6 weeks ago) in the ceiling as a standard inclusion. I suggest giving your CSA a call to discuss the blowin and bifold door that was installed and see what advice they can offer you. If you have any trouble contacting them then please let me know. Cheer, Jess.

Thank you for that....6 weeks
pity the sales consultant didn't have the correct information when we asked and signed. All new PD clients, 'if the contract doesn't spell it out, don't presume' - same with the bifold door of which I am waiting an answer on - again an explaination from the sales consultant that did not materialize. PD Administration and Drafting unfortunately left us bewildered. Even though we have these disappointing issues the house is excellent with all credit to our SS who was extremely thorough and professional.

Hi Debra,

I'm sorry you felt misinformed during your contract signing. Do you mind sending me a Private Message with the name of the Sales consultant that you talked to and details of the times you felt there was miscommunication between you and the sales staff so that I can look into this. On another note, I am glad you found your SS professional and helpful. Thanks, Jess.
Yellow
Team PD
Hi Debra,

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations. Have you brought these issues up with your New Home Care Administrator? PD only recently began including insulation batts (roughly 6 weeks ago) in the ceiling as a standard inclusion. I suggest giving your CSA a call to discuss the blowin and bifold door that was installed and see what advice they can offer you. If you have any trouble contacting them then please let me know. Cheer, Jess.

Hi Jess

For the current clients who will have R2.5 rated Ceiling insulation done in the next month or so would get blow in insulation? Can you please confirm this.

Thanks
Yellow

Hi Yellow,

Unfortunately Kerry-ann is right. We only recently began including the ceiling insulation batts as a standard and it applies to all clients that signed up after this was introduced. For those clients receiving blow in as standard, ibe assured t does have the same R2.5 rating as the batts. However if you would like to change from blow in to batts, we are happy to do so but there will be a charge. Best to have a chat to your SS or CSA about it. To reassure you, there will not be any fire hazards as a result of the blow in. We ensure all down lights are heat protected to prevent this. Thanks, Jess.
Lunchtime

For all their PD points of difference, that supposedly add $14k value to you - I have not found anything to be worthwhile. PD 24/7 has only been updated once (at my request) and now it seems from the above they dont want to be held to their guarantee completion date

Hi Lunchtime,

I have read through your comments and understand your frustrations regarding delays and issues with the lack of updates in the 24/7 tool. I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing these difficulties. Have you directed these issues to you Customer Care Administrator? Cheers, Jess.
Hi Victoria_g06,

Great to hear, yeah we won't have much of a back yard which both kind of a bad and good thing. Without having to read through all the posts (which I am slowly doing), how have you found PD to work with to date? I'm reading a lot of posts mentioning that the tender and contract signing is bloody nightmare with PD not revealing prices and not allowing you to take your contract home to read first etc. Plus making changes to the contract appear to be a no no also. Did you experience any of this? Be great to hear your experience (if you haven't repeated earlier).
Thanks[/quote]

I have found them very good although you really have to pay attention when you first go to the sales office and then to contract. Picking from the Access Range means you don't get a Tender appointment. You go straight from sales quote to contract signing! I found a few mistakes on contract signing and they just made a post contract variation to fix them.

The only thing I can't understand is when reaching contract I had the promotion Madison Corinthian Door with 4 small obscure glass parts which came to $315! Whereas my sidelight; Full glass obscured only was $90 odd dollars. I dont get that having less glass makes it more expensive?! I deleted the obscure glass and opted for the regular promotion door for $34.

I did find it a bit confusing that even at the colours appointment where all the prices were noted they still changed in the contract signing (Some slightly less, some slightly more) But what can you do? I had things I wanted and a few dollars more were disappointing but needed in the long run.

It is true that you cant take your contract home but they do give you five days to amend or cancel with very little cost. But honestly everything should have been sorted by then, again, you can make post contract variations if needed.

I hope this answers some of your questions. P.S I will say it again, You really have to have an eye for details, in my contract signing they had around 5 mistakes that I couldn't of changed later if I didn't pick them up!![/quote]

Hi Victoria_g06,

Thanks so much for the useful info! Still deciding but a lot the of people's comments don't give me much confidence
Hi everybody

We are apparently close to construction (told they'd bring us forward to a November start, which looks like November 29ish LOL).
Moving on from the tile experience, I am looking forward to a perfect build (yes I do expect perfect from them).
I did have to laugh at the tender where it says under variations "Sealing of gaps and cracks between house frame and window/door frames" umm so thats not really a standard??

Anyway, I can't wait for the start of our construction, and look forward to showing off some pics at some stage soon.
I must say Thank you to Jess, PD's representative on Homeone who makes herself available, I really do hope she passes on our thoughts and comments to PD management who could really learn a lot from this forum, any business can only get better from constructive feedback.
Hi Lunchtime,

I have read through your comments and understand your frustrations regarding delays and issues with the lack of updates in the 24/7 tool. I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing these difficulties. Have you directed these issues to you Customer Care Administrator? Cheers, Jess.[/quote]

Thanks Jess - to be honest I gave up. On 24/7 it took them time to get my name right and I even had to send a screen dump to show where the error was. When they fixed it they decided to use my first and middle name rather than my surname. After 4 mths there is two photos in the gallary and none of my documents or colour selections have been uploaded. At this stage of the build it isnt worth worrying about

But what is a concern and if PD are genuine in learning from customer feedback is that dont tell me you are going to do something if you cant. Same goes with the guaranteed site start and 20 weeks to completion. We are struggling with paying rent and close enough to full mortgage while finding money for curtains, driveway etc and thought we would be helped with the guarantee but from what I read above I dont have any confidence that our safety net that I was told you provide with the completion guarantee will be met.

To be honest these are not the reasons that I signed up but they could have been nice extras but without the follow through it has turned the PD point of difference into a sore point as in my experience there is no difference.

Overall I have been very impressed with the quality of work and my SS and CSA team. These issues are trival when compared to what has been happening onsite. I would even go as far as to suggest that these items be removed altogether as they are not essential and only seem to take away from what has been a good experience overall

I would class myself as a PD advocate and have discussed my experiences with a couple of other potential customers and encouraged them to go with PD as the core product is very good. However this comes with the cavet of check all your documents, check the changes in specification from the display home to the final drawings and dont sign off on the plans until you have taken your final drawings too the display home to search out any differences. And finally IGNORE all marketing FLUFF and guarantees as it seems there is loop holes for everything
Team PD
Tramsok
Hi everyone,

Wow great forum and a lot of useful information. We are looking at building and selecting a builder which is not easy. We got a 14mx28m block. Trying to find a layout that we like that fits our block is tough. Then trying to compare the inclusions from builder to builder is another difficult thing. We've seen the Creswick 24 which is a new addition to the Porter Davis Access range. We love the layout but was wondering if anyone has built the house before? Porter Davis' current promotion of $999 for $48,000 worth of upgrades is great but is still lacking quite a few features other builders like Carlise Homes and even Places (which is part of PD) offer as standard. Even when it comes to Facades. Do you get insulation to the walls as standard? Do the standard range bricks and roof tiles OK? Or you people normally upgrade them too?
Any advice would be appreciated. So many builders these days, hard to decide who to go with
Thanks

Hi Tramsok,

It's good to see you're researching prior to choosing your builder. Selecting a builder and layout that fits your block can be a challenging task. I think visiting as many display homes as you can, talking to sales staff, comparing the current promotions across all builders, and getting an idea of what designs inspire you is a good place to start. Sales staff at the display homes will be able to tell you what options you have for homes that suit your particular block of land. If you are interested in viewing the bricks and tiles PD offer in their homes, from the standard range to upgrades, then I also suggest visiting a National Tiles & Boral Bricks Display Centre to view their range and get some ideas.

PD does not include insulation batts to the walls as standard. We supply R2.5 insulation batts to the ceiling as standard. However, the insulation batts to your walls are available as an upgrade. Just talk to a sales staff for more information. Goodluck with your research and choosing a layout. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers, Jess.

Hi Jess,

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to quickly run me through the process step by step for purchasing and building an ACCESS home (I have the PD procedure of purchase already). So you go for your colour and electrical appointments, make upgrades, changes etc. without knowing the exact cost. When do you find out or see the costs of all the changes and upgrades so that you can make a decision whether it is within your budget? At tender or on the signing of the contract? I read somewhere that for ACCESS that you do not goto tender but straight to contact signing? I presume at some point before you sign the contract you will get a total of what all ugprades costs?
My understanding is that you can't see a copy of your contract with your changes or upgrades prior to signing (just a copy of generic HIA contract). So on the day of signing you go in, review everything, make changes and remove things that may have been too expensive. If things are incorrect in the contract, do you request to make changes and NOT sign and book another contract appointment? Or are you expected to sign there and then and have the changes made post contract? Isn't it a bit dangerous to sign something and then have it changed after? If you want a copy of the contract to take home and have a lawyer or someone look over it before you sign it do you have to pay a 3% deposit? Does it mean you have to sign it before you can take it home? Any insight to the whole process would be much appreciated. I really like the layout of PD homes, but really scared of the process.

Thanks in advance
Hi everyone,

Just one quick question, not sure if anyone can help me with. We have purchased land in the Harcrest estate in Wantira South. As part of the estate convenants, all homes must be of 6 star energy rating. As PD are building homes in this estate, I asked a PD sales consultant whether a PD home built to meet this energy rating will need to have wall insulation bats and their answer was some homes will have it and some may not. I am a bit puzzled by how this can be the case. I assuming that all homes would require it and not just some and not others, and can a home achieve a 6 star energy rating without insulation bats in the walls? Any advice or expertise in the matter would be much appreciated.
Tramsok
Hi everyone,

Just one quick question, not sure if anyone can help me with. We have purchased land in the Harcrest estate in Wantira South. As part of the estate convenants, all homes must be of 6 star energy rating. As PD are building homes in this estate, I asked a PD sales consultant whether a PD home built to meet this energy rating will need to have wall insulation bats and their answer was some homes will have it and some may not. I am a bit puzzled by how this can be the case. I assuming that all homes would require it and not just some and not others, and can a home achieve a 6 star energy rating without insulation bats in the walls? Any advice or expertise in the matter would be much appreciated.

It has a bit to do with home and window orientation and the heating/cooling of your home.
This site explains a little in layman terms http://www.improvemyhome.com.au/article ... -your-home
Tramsok
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how it can achieve it but the Lisbon 22 is a 5.8 star energy rated house, But I would put that up to maybe 6.2 -6.5 because I added Sarking to the roof and soundproof insulation to the bedrooms, I tried to get an updated report but unfortunately they can't do that..
Tramsok
Hi Victoria_g06,

Great to hear, yeah we won't have much of a back yard which both kind of a bad and good thing. Without having to read through all the posts (which I am slowly doing), how have you found PD to work with to date? I'm reading a lot of posts mentioning that the tender and contract signing is bloody nightmare with PD not revealing prices and not allowing you to take your contract home to read first etc. Plus making changes to the contract appear to be a no no also. Did you experience any of this? Be great to hear your experience (if you haven't repeated earlier).
Thanks

Victoria_g06
I have found them very good although you really have to pay attention when you first go to the sales office and then to contract. Picking from the Access Range means you don't get a Tender appointment. You go straight from sales quote to contract signing! I found a few mistakes on contract signing and they just made a post contract variation to fix them.

The only thing I can't understand is when reaching contract I had the promotion Madison Corinthian Door with 4 small obscure glass parts which came to $315! Whereas my sidelight; Full glass obscured only was $90 odd dollars. I dont get that having less glass makes it more expensive?! I deleted the obscure glass and opted for the regular promotion door for $34.

I did find it a bit confusing that even at the colours appointment where all the prices were noted they still changed in the contract signing (Some slightly less, some slightly more) But what can you do? I had things I wanted and a few dollars more were disappointing but needed in the long run.

It is true that you cant take your contract home but they do give you five days to amend or cancel with very little cost. But honestly everything should have been sorted by then, again, you can make post contract variations if needed.

I hope this answers some of your questions. P.S I will say it again, You really have to have an eye for details, in my contract signing they had around 5 mistakes that I couldn't of changed later if I didn't pick them up!!

Tramsok
Hi Victoria_g06,

Thanks so much for the useful info! Still deciding but a lot the of people's comments don't give me much confidence

Honestly I felt the same when looking through builders and house designs, really there is not one builder that no one says anything bad about; they all make mistakes, I went for PD because of the quality of their homes and particularly they had the only squarish design around! Everyone else were building for long narrow houses and I wanted a square. I think look at the designs first and then compare what the builders include.

Hope this helps,
Hello All,

For those following our progress, I just wanted to say that we have now signed the Tender Document (Yes we are going to be building with PD) and we have our Tile, Colour & Electrical appointments over the next 2 weeks followed by signing of the Contract a week or so later.

For those who are thinking of building with PD and have some concerns after reading the various posts on here I would like to take this opportunity to offer some advice.

1) If you have a specific question, try and locate the best person to answer it. I know that your CSA is the first point of contact (and by all means contact her first) but in parallel try and find the best person within PD and ask to speak to them as well.

To offer an example, we had some concerns about the actual design of our slab (as we are building something slightly away from the standard) and although we found our CSA helpful, she obviously did not have the relevant experience to satisfactory answer our questions. To overcome this, we asked to speak to one of their Engineers and although we were initially told that they were all busy, after some discussion we were finally able to speak to one.

Although the converstion with the Engineer only lasted 5-10 minutes, we were left feeling much more confident about proceeding with our build as our questions could be answered straight away without the need to go through a 3rd person which runs the risk of the information being unintentially distorted.

In regards to lack of prices at Hopetoun, which is an issue for most people, how we dealt with it was as follows:

1. Firstly, we visited Hopetoun on 2 seperate occasions (during the weekend) and reasonably accurately managed to select most of what we wanted upgraded. As a side note, for anyone not familiar with Hopetoun yet, please do not leave visiting there until your colour / electrical appointments. You will create unnecessary stress for yourself !!

2. During the same weekends, we also visited National Tiles and was able to get a feel for what tiles we liked. Although, pricing is available from them due to the number of people who are there at the weekend you may not get much time to speak to a member of staff. However, you can easily select the tiles you like on your own and before you leave, politely ask how much (roughly) they cost. With this info and the floor plan of your home (which you can get from your Sales person) you can reasonably accurately calculate the cost of your possible tile selections prior to actually having your official appointment.

3. For of the bigger upgrade items as well as any structural items we wanted changing, we communicated this information to our Sales person who was able to update the initial quote and give us an idea of price. As an example, although we hadn't chosen our exact brick, we were confident that we wanted to select one from a particular category, so as a result was able to get a price in advance.

4. For the lesser expensive items which we wanted to upgrade (Doors, Window Glass, Benchtops, etc) we communicated this information to our CSA prior to our Tender Appointment. These items were then included on the Tender contract so we had an actual figure. From Tender onwards, structual changes cannot be made but all other selections can be altered if necessary.

We now have our Tiles & Colour appointment approaching in the next few weeks, and (with the exception of the wall colour and a few small items) have our chosen selections already prepared.

Hopefully then, unless prices have changed a lot over a few weeks, we should have a reasonable idea of what we are expected to pay prior to our contract and if our budget cannot stretch to that amount at least we will have time in advance to make a decision rather than wait until we attend our contract appointment.

Hope this helps...

Chorlton
building1
Hi everybody

We are apparently close to construction (told they'd bring us forward to a November start, which looks like November 29ish LOL).
Moving on from the tile experience, I am looking forward to a perfect build (yes I do expect perfect from them).
I did have to laugh at the tender where it says under variations "Sealing of gaps and cracks between house frame and window/door frames" umm so thats not really a standard??

Anyway, I can't wait for the start of our construction, and look forward to showing off some pics at some stage soon.
I must say Thank you to Jess, PD's representative on Homeone who makes herself available, I really do hope she passes on our thoughts and comments to PD management who could really learn a lot from this forum, any business can only get better from constructive feedback.

Hi Building1,

I'm glad to hear that you are close to construction. Please keep us updated on your progress and post lots of picts! I'm glad to be here on the forum to help out where possible. Your comments, stories and feedback are most welcome. Goodluck with everything. Jess.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum