Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 249 of 862
JLD
Not sounding good Zinner, hopefully just a lack of tradies rather than a problem. How good is your SS?

Have updated my thread with pics of our place without scaffolding.

Interesting we have also not seen much action since being hit with the lock up invoice 2.5 weeks ago although front door open today and they were working on our stairs.
I also expect not much will happen after the end of this week for next few weeks with school holidays/Easter in this period but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

MEWS
http://waldorf48wonga.blogspot.com.au/
We were 4 weeks from lockup to fixing Zinner.

Get a site meeting with your SS to understand exactly what the hold up is, what has been completed and what is remaining.
Mews
JLD
Not sounding good Zinner, hopefully just a lack of tradies rather than a problem. How good is your SS?

Have updated my thread with pics of our place without scaffolding.

Interesting we have also not seen much action since being hit with the lock up invoice 2.5 weeks ago although front door open today and they were working on our stairs.
I also expect not much will happen after the end of this week for next few weeks with school holidays/Easter in this period but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

MEWS
http://waldorf48wonga.blogspot.com.au/

Oh no. I forgot about Easter and School Holidays. Yet another reason for no work to be done on my build.
Zinner
Wateman
What would be the average length of time to get to PCI once fixing is complete?
I know most of you are building/have built big houses, and ours is only small, but I was just curious. Ours seems to be flying along so far, we will be at week 9 next Wednesday and fixing was complete last Wednesday (29th).

I have a similar question about the fixing stage. How long did it take for most peoples fixing stage to be complete. (i.e. from Lockup to fixing)

My build was at Lockup in week 14. It is now week 30 and my fixing stage is still not complete. So that is 14 weeks to Lockup and 16 weeks in fixing stage and still the fixing stage is not complete. The fixing stage has gone for longer than all previous stages combined.

From this I can only ascertain 1 to 3 things (one or all 3 must be true)

1. My Lockup invoice was given out to early.
2. There is something badly wrong with my build that is holding up fixing that I have not been told about.
3. PD no longer cares about my build.
(4. Somehow my house has been confused with someone who is building on the moon and not in the SE suburbs of Melbourne - ah-la the lack of tradesmen working on my build)

Hi Zinner,

I’m sorry to hear that you feeling like PD no longer care about your build. Have you spoken to your BC about how you are feeling? They would be the best people to explain or answer your questions regarding this. If you like, you can send me a private message with your full name, lot address, your BC’s name and I can follow this up. Cheers, Ebony
Team PD
Hi Zinner,

I’m sorry to hear that you feeling like PD no longer care about your build. Have you spoken to your BC about how you are feeling? They would be the best people to explain or answer your questions regarding this. If you like, you can send me a private message with your full name, lot address, your BC’s name and I can follow this up. Cheers, Ebony

I have spoken to my BC about it and have been assured that it is not the case. I have also asked my SS if something was wrong with any/all stages of my build (had that feeling since the frame inspection back last year) but have been told that there is nothing really of major concern. My independent inspector has also only picked up what he called "minor" issues in both the frame and pre-plaster inspections.

It's not really until I lay it all out (14 weeks to lockup plus an additional 16 weeks at fixing stage so at week 30 and still fixing is not complete) that it starts to scream "something is not right here" and hence, my questions about other peoples fixing stages and how long they took.

I was penciled in for a site inspection with my SS for Friday or Monday last week as both he and my BC rang and told me that fixing should be completed and it will be ready for painting this week. When I discovered on Friday that the fixing was not complete, I assumed that the inspection would be cancelled. I have rang both over the last few days but not heard back from either yet with an update.
Hi Zinner,

Hang in there and hopefully if you meet your SS on site it may clear some things up for you. We met with our SS 3 weeks ago and he said that our PCI would most likely be the end of March and handover 1 week later, we are still waiting for that as of Saturday our new front window was yet to be installed and the painting had been completed. I usually leave messages for my SS and he doesnt call back and he must call the BC to advise of my concerns and she then emails an update. She actually called my other half with an update on Monday which would be 2.5 weeks since our last update, which i requested.

I have read a lot on other threads that communication with PD BC and SS's is terrible and I am thinking that are absolutely right! I think if there is a delay of any kind and behind in schedule i think a weekly or bi weekly update is warranted.
Just spoke to our SS - he said late April looks like our completion date. the fittings are all getting done now, with the easter break pushing us back a week, but oh well, that will make about 16 weeks in total, including all the holidays etc, so really about week 12-13. I had guessed 27th of April a couple of months ago!
At least we have a date to set our sights upon!
Wateman
Just spoke to our SS - he said late April looks like our completion date. the fittings are all getting done now, with the easter break pushing us back a week, but oh well, that will make about 16 weeks in total, including all the holidays etc, so really about week 12-13. I had guessed 27th of April a couple of months ago!

That’s fantastic news, at least now you can start planning the big move and all that horrible landscaping stuff that will be the centre of your life for the next 6 months LOL.... Well that’s how I feel right now.

Best of luck with handover.
Regards
T
Zinner
Team PD
Hi Zinner,

I have spoken to my BC about it and have been assured that it is not the case. I have also asked my SS if something was wrong with any/all stages of my build (had that feeling since the frame inspection back last year) but have been told that there is nothing really of major concern. My independent inspector has also only picked up what he called "minor" issues in both the frame and pre-plaster inspections.

It's not really until I lay it all out (14 weeks to lockup plus an additional 16 weeks at fixing stage so at week 30 and still fixing is not complete) that it starts to scream "something is not right here" and hence, my questions about other peoples fixing stages and how long they took.

I was penciled in for a site inspection with my SS for Friday or Monday last week as both he and my BC rang and told me that fixing should be completed and it will be ready for painting this week. When I discovered on Friday that the fixing was not complete, I assumed that the inspection would be cancelled. I have rang both over the last few days but not heard back from either yet with an update.

Hi Zinner,

Thank you for the update, please be sure to keep me in the loop with the progress on this and if you would like my assistance I’d be happy to follow this up for you. Cheers, Ebony
Wateman

Hi Wateman,

That’s excellent news. I’m looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your fittings all finished. I’m agreeing with tstr1a, have you started thinking and planning your move and landscaping?
Cheers, Ebony
Hey all, how picky did you get with placement of power points? Haven't had time to do a proper walk through but my quick glance last night saw a power point in our entry way that's supposed to be tucked into a corner (for less visibility) is further along the wall close to the bedroom entrance. Did you get things moved?
JLD
Hey all, how picky did you get with placement of power points? Haven't had time to do a proper walk through but my quick glance last night saw a power point in our entry way that's supposed to be tucked into a corner (for less visibility) is further along the wall close to the bedroom entrance. Did you get things moved?

My SS had me come in at pre-plaster and do a quick check of all the power point placements (at roughing in stage, all you see is a little bracket on the frame) and make sure they were all correct or in the correct positions. I took my Argus electrical plans in and checked the major ones off. You still have to imagine it all with a wall at pre plaster so it makes it a little hard at that stage.

It has been so long since I did that check that just the other night as my head hit the pillow that I shot bolt upright and thought "OMG! I forgot to check if the powerpoint for the fridge recess is there". Quickly rushing to my paperwork I saw that it was on the plans and figured that I had checked it.

I guess I still have to wait and see once they put them all in how there placement works in a practical sense as now I will see it with all the doors and walls on. I'm thinking I will still want and extra powerpoint or 2 and will most likely want some of them repositioned but I might wait until after handover to do this. I don't want to slow my build down any more than I have to at this stage.
JLD

I moved a couple, but our electrician did an awesome job.
Hi Guys,

I hope everyone's build is travelling well (or landscaping - Humble).

If anyone is interested I've written a post (on my blog) on the energy efficiency of our house. We all know that a new build needs to be 6 star rating as prescribed by law, it got me thinking if adding insulation, eaves, double glazed windows, ect really works. I've monitored our internal and external temperature to see if all the extra $$ we spent makes a difference.

I would love to read your experiences and comments also I would love to know what extra inclusions you added to your house to make it energy efficient and less reliant o artificial heating and cooling.

Regards
T
tstr1a
Hi Guys,

If anyone is interested I've written a post (on my blog) on the energy efficiency of our house. We all know that a new build needs to be 6 star rating as prescribed by law, it got me thinking if adding insulation, eaves, double glazed windows, ect really works. I've monitored our internal and external temperature to see if all the extra $$ we spent makes a difference.

I would love to read your experiences and comments also I would love to know what extra inclusions you added to your house to make it energy efficient and less reliant o artificial heating and cooling.

Regards
T

Hey T,
Just checked out your latest blog - impressive info..
I have increased the wall insulation to 2.5 but stuck with the 3.5 for ceiling (was undecided but can easily change after)
I have also installed double glazed windows\doors throughout the house (for efficientcy and noise).
We also have included the add on cooling (18KW) and happy now that Ive seen your feedback.
In terms of power we have installed LEDs into the main common areas downstairs and upstairs will be done straight after the build (wiring already setup). Decided against panels as you do not get bang for buck anymore. Check out one of my earlier responses in this thread for details.
The house was rated at 7.2 stars before the build - interesting to see how long this lasts and how the house holds the temps
Sorry no help on the energy efficiency of our house, we did the 6 star part but otherwise no extras.

Our insulation got installed today and I rang the SS to discuss an electrical question and turns out they're going to start plaster tomorrow! Thanks to everyone for the advice on whether to move stuff....not sure we're going to be able to now that the plaster starts tomorrow....haven't even had a chance to check if everything is where it should be. Fingers crossed.
Alpal
tstr1a
Hi Guys,

Regards
T

Hey T,

Just checked out your latest blog - impressive info..
I have increased the wall insulation to 2.5 but stuck with the 3.5 for ceiling (was undecided but can easily change after)
I have also installed double glazed windows\doors throughout the house (for efficientcy and noise).
We also have included the add on cooling (18KW) and happy now that Ive seen your feedback.
In terms of power we have installed LEDs into the main common areas downstairs and upstairs will be done straight after the build (wiring already setup). Decided against panels as you do not get bang for buck anymore. Check out one of my earlier responses in this thread for details.
The house was rated at 7.2 stars before the build - interesting to see how long this lasts and how the house holds the temps

Hey Alpal,

7.2 WOW that awesome. Dpuble glazing makes a big difference.

I agree with the solar panels, after the government reduced the rebate it not worth getting them installed.
Hi All,

Still lurking and checking out all your blogs with envy! Your houses are all looking fantastic and coming along. Jealous!!

We had tender today and I found the girl really helpful and we have been happy with the process so far. Colour appointments next Tues and Wed (the exciting bit!)

We are including extra sarking in the roof and looking to possibly upgrade insulation too (pending what comes back as included in our 6 star) to try and combat some heat upstairs. We are also installing cooling though. Our estate is also including a second hot water solar panel as neccessary and a water tank.

Love reading this thread! Cheers!
tstira i really enjoyed reading ur write on the energy eff.
i have learnt so much from ur blog and took alot of you have said into consideration, up graded the heating unit, the only thing i wish we did was to get the heating zoned which i forgot all about in our electrics app.
PD had given us R6.0 batts in the celing, and R2.5 in walls and sisalation, and all double glazed windows in the lounge/study/dining windows. so hoping it will be good enough. ill let u know whenever the house is finished!
keep up the good work.........................
PD had given us R6.0 batts in the celing, and R2.5 in walls and sisalation, and all double glazed windows in the lounge/study/dining windows. so hoping it will be good enough
==================================================

Hi ma2531, have questions about your post. Do the lounge/study/dining window face north?
It's good that PD had given you those things, ours still wait till the assesment before PD could offer any extra or we have to bear the cost ourselve.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum