Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 229 of 862
tstr1a
J & C
Thought I'd get some estimates for the decking and we have been offered a rate for 90mm merbau decking at $220/m2. Is this competitive ?

Little expensive but it's a Labour intensive job.

what is the ballpark one should expect to pay according to you
Ray153
The long gap is an expansion joint, your house would destroy itself over the course of a year without them, you should have a few all up. There will be a caulking compound put on there in due course to fill it.

The small holes are called weep holes, again they are there for a purpose. Mainly for when your house is sad........ Seriously, they serve to allow the air in the wall space to breathe in effect, drains condensation I think.

Thank you great explanation! I figured they were fine, but haven't met my SS to ask about it yet
Ray153
The long gap is an expansion joint, your house would destroy itself over the course of a year without them, you should have a few all up. There will be a caulking compound put on there in due course to fill it.

The small holes are called weep holes, again they are there for a purpose. Mainly for when your house is sad........ Seriously, they serve to allow the air in the wall space to breathe in effect, drains condensation I think.

Correct on both counts...
J & C
tstr1a
J & C
Thought I'd get some estimates for the decking and we have been offered a rate for 90mm merbau decking at $220/m2. Is this competitive ?

If you do it yourself it would cost you around $80 per m2, the rest is for labour. I'm going to do my decking myself.

How many m2 are you intending to do?
J & C
tstr1a
J & C

Well to give you a idea.. 140mm merbau, 81sqm, total materials cost.. $4200, actual timber (decking, joists, bearers) including screws $3800

Based on $220 a sqm, I would be looking at 17k.
If you’re confident in doing the decking yourself you can save heaps. Huge saving humble... well done, like you I’m doing most of the landscaping and its hard work and rewarding at the same time.

Love to see pics of your deck, I love the look of 140mm merbau.
tstr1a
If you’re confident in doing the decking yourself you can save heaps. Huge saving humble... well done, like you I’m doing most of the landscaping and its hard work and rewarding at the same time.

Should have it done this weekend, I have been in America for the last 22 days!
humble
tstr1a

Building a house requires lots of $$ and it’s always good to save some $$ for a rainy day.

Tradies these days ask for big bucks coz people are willing to pay for it. Shop around for the best price, sometimes getting 3 quotes isn’t enough.
tstr1a
humble
tstr1a

Building a house requires lots of $$ and it’s always good to save some $$ for a rainy day.

Tradies these days ask for big bucks coz people are willing to pay for it. Shop around for the best price, sometimes getting 3 quotes isn’t enough.

hell no, its with the backyard and front yard, I am happy to do it with the wife over the course of a few weekends!

We are saving a massive amount as well in the process..
Rups
Sounds good Alpal! Happy with the way things are coming together?

We started bricks yesterday, and have to go back on-site this morning (SS called yest) to specify the placement of the front door handle, as we told him that we're very particular about where it goes, so best to be there when the guy does it. What a legend!! Sparkies in today and insulation Friday. Pre-plaster independent inspection booked for Friday...

Agree with Alpal about the saw dust, will go thru when brickies finish and all rough ins complete.

Picked up 3 slabs last night, one for the brickies, one for the sparkies and one for our SS... Gotta keep the wheels greased

Hi Rups,
Your build is steaming ahead, can’t wait to see your next photo update on your blog. How did the slabs go down with the tradesmen?
Ebony
Quick update- we went by our palce last night and some a$$holes threw bricks threw all our west facing windows and 1 of our front windows which means where there are holes where the brick hit the sheet rock, which will now need to be filled or replaced!

The a%%holes also tried to kick the front door in and thankfully the deadbolt was locked, but looks like we will need a new door frame as the frame has chipped and the actual locks are now exposed!

Left message for SS last night- i wonder if he knew or not? I will be emailing the BC this morning advising her too.

A display home across the street was also effected. I would think it would be all builder best interest for stage 1 building to have a security person on site?!
Sammyjane31
Quick update- we went by our palce last night and some a$$holes threw bricks threw all our west facing windows and 1 of our front windows which means where there are holes where the brick hit the sheet rock, which will now need to be filled or replaced!

The a%%holes also tried to kick the front door in and thankfully the deadbolt was locked, but looks like we will need a new door frame as the frame has chipped and the actual locks are now exposed!

Left message for SS last night- i wonder if he knew or not? I will be emailing the BC this morning advising her too.

A display home across the street was also effected. I would think it would be all builder best interest for stage 1 building to have a security person on site?!

Agreed - this seems to be a regular occurance in the new estates....
If they are not vandalising their stealing...
Whats the world coming to....
Alpal
Sammyjane31

Agreed - this seems to be a regular occurance in the new estates....
If they are not vandalising their stealing...
Whats the world coming to....

some ppl have nothing better to do. I wish I could destroy their property in return
They probably don't have any...but my hold their parents accountable.

I couldn't imagine a responsible adult doing this....but you never know!
Hi tstr1a,

I just went through the thread after couple of months & your house looks awesome. Love the colours & the kitchen.....
Thanks for the details on the Blind Selection as it was very useful for me right at the moment as I'm getting some quotes from some companies.

I too have 21 windows & thought of going for curtains for the downstairs & for the upstair master bed room & the rest with roman blinds & timber venetians for the bathrooms & WC. I have got 4 quotes so far & the cheapest is $11,200. I have not heard of the Sharon Curtains & Blinds & after I read your blog I rang them up to place an appointment to get a quote.. I too got a quote from Kresta & they gave me 14K............
Roshi
Hi tstr1a,

I just went through the thread after couple of months & your house looks awesome. Love the colours & the kitchen.....
Thanks for the details on the Blind Selection as it was very useful for me right at the moment as I'm getting some quotes from some companies.

I too have 21 windows & thought of going for curtains for the downstairs & for the upstair master bed room & the rest with roman blinds & timber venetians for the bathrooms & WC. I have got 4 quotes so far & the cheapest is $11,200. I have not heard of the Sharon Curtains & Blinds & after I read your blog I rang them up to place an appointment to get a quote.. I too got a quote from Kresta & they gave me 14K............

Hi Roshi,
How is your place going? Are you happy with the finish and quality of your new home?
I’m glad that my post is helping out and I would defiantly recommend giving Sharon’s curtains and blinds a try, they have such a huge collection of materials and I would recommend that you go and visit there show room (not the best presented show room but they have everything)

Regards
T
Little expensive but it's a Labour intensive job.[/quote]

what is the ballpark one should expect to pay according to you[/quote]

Well to give you a idea.. 140mm merbau, 81sqm, total materials cost.. $4200, actual timber (decking, joists, bearers) including screws $3800

[/quote]

Will you be doing the decking by yourself...that's cheaper than Tstr1a's around 52sqm

based on what you are saying labour per sqm is around 168, isn't that way over the top
J & C

what is the ballpark one should expect to pay according to you[/quote]

[/quote]

Will you be doing the decking by yourself...that's cheaper than Tstr1a's around 52sqm

based on what you are saying labour per sqm is around 168, isn't that way over the top[/quote]

Way over.. How many people are working the job?
Sammyjane that is terrible!! It really is hard to watch someone tarnish your dream.

Welcome home Humble....thought you'd been quiet
Did the police ever find who broke into your place?

Well our bricks are still going up! The garage, the alfresco pillars and portico are all done but the back wall is still waiting on the stacker door and so am I! Really can't wait to see what it looks like.

The plumber was there today putting in the pipes for upstairs so things are starting to happen inside as well as out.

Funny fact, for those that remember we have another Cayman being built a couple of streets away in our little town (1650 people). I drove past the other day and SNAP we may just have the same bricks....will have to wait to see them started but from the way they look on the pallets looks like they have great taste
I'm interested to know how many people here have had more than one CSC or Site Supervisor during the relationship with PD. If more than one, was there an improvement or downgrading of service when the change happened?
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum