Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 227 of 862
cattycatcat
Sammyjane31
cattycatcat looks like you are moving right along! Kitchen and bathroom cabinets look great! We picked a similar colour for the bottom cabinets in the kitchen.

Will they instal the architraves before painting and the flooring? I saw last night that our architraves and internal were delivered but not installed.

Thanks!

Hey Sammy,

The Architraves are fitted before he flooring and painting is done. Between now and painting there's still all the electrics to be done and a few other things
I can't wait to see my tiles go in. After seeing the kitchen in its great to see more colour in my plastered box!

Sent from my iPhone so please excuse my spelling mist cakes

I would have thought painting before the architraves and cabinets are in would be easier but I am not the builder.lol
I cant wait to move in - hope the SS can get us to move in around Easter?!
Bricks look fab guys... well worth the extra $$ upgrade. In about 5-6 weeks you will be plastered, cabinets will be in and architraves will be fitted... ready for painting. Amazing isn’t it?
Hi All.. Just wanted to ask, I there anyone on here who has built a 30-35sq single home with PD and increase there ceiling height to 2740mm? Just wanted to see how much it cost. Thanks All..
Doreen_Kallara33
Hi All.. Just wanted to ask, I there anyone on here who has built a 30-35sq single home with PD and increase there ceiling height to 2740mm? Just wanted to see how much it cost. Thanks All..

budget around $3k to $4k
tstr1a
Doreen_Kallara33

budget around $3k to $4k

2590 is ample for a single storey. I find that 2740 is very high.
We've done 2740mm in our 33sq single, and it was additional $3718 from 2590mm (which was incl. in promo - although I think this is fairly standard).

Friends of ours have done the same in their single storey 33sq, and it looks fantastic. You do notice the difference.

Albeit 2590mm is still pretty good and a darn site better than 2440mm!
I have 2740 and it looks really good, it makes the house feel bigger
ok great. we are also getting 2740 ceilings but wanted to make sure it was $3718 so thats confirmed
. We also increased our door heights coz i think high ceilings with high doors looks great
Doreen_Kallara33
ok great. we are also getting 2740 ceilings but wanted to make sure it was $3718 so thats confirmed
. We also increased our door heights coz i think high ceilings with high doors looks great

Increased door height (2340mm) cost us $96 extra per door. It’s a must with high ceilings otherwise the doors look odd.
tstr1a
Doreen_Kallara33

Increased door height (2340mm) cost us $96 extra per door. It’s a must with high ceilings otherwise the doors look odd.

Keep in mind this will also increase your heating\cooling costs
We were told bricklayers will be delayed till next Wednesday, but looks like they started today! Can't complain about that, very happy with how fast and smooth things have gone so far *touch wood*
tstr1a
Doreen_Kallara33

We didn't extend our door heights T, we found it made them look too narrow/elongated, especially in the bedroom passageway of our display. We did extend the height of our bifolds from 2100mm to 2340mm
Rups
tstr1a
Doreen_Kallara33

We didn't extend our door heights T, we found it made them look too narrow/elongated, especially in the bedroom passageway of our display. We did extend the height of our bifolds from 2100mm to 2340mm

How much did it cost to increase the height of the bi folds?
Your house is going to come out beautiful, I can tell that you guys have good taste
At our electrical appointment the consultant told me to get argus to do the foxtel prewiring for $168 per point as you can't do it later if you have a double storey house. I told the consultant that it can be done afterwards but its a little more time consuming. Foxtel is here at my place right now and it took the installer 20 min to run the wires. Guys don't believe everything you are told, make your own assessment.

The installer run all the cables in the wall cavity and no external conduits. Nice neat job.
tstr1a
At our electrical appointment the consultant told me to get argus to do the foxtel prewiring for $168 per point as you can't do it later if you have a double storey house. I told the consultant that it can be done afterwards but its a little more time consuming. Foxtel is here at my place right now and it took the installer 20 min to run the wires. Guys don't believe everything you are told, make your own assessment.

The installer run all the cables in the wall cavity and no external conduits. Nice neat job.

Also I must add that internal walls not facing the external brick are impossible to fit for foxtel on the ground floor of a double storey so get argus to pre wire this
Or even better run your own conduit at frame stage. They are $25 at bunnings
tstr1a
tstr1a
Doreen_Kallara33

budget around $3k to $4k

2590 is ample for a single storey. I find that 2740 is very high.

I agree - we have 2590mm and I already like the way opens up the rooms in the house (we also upgraded all doorways and robes/tall cupboards to 2340 high as well to so that the higher ceiling doesn't look "out of place") and it definitely makes the house itself look "bigger" and more "airy" internally.

Personally I think 2740mm ceiling would make it look cavernous and throw the proportions of the house out a little - especially in smaller rooms and passageways - as well as possibly making things such as cleaning the arch's, changing light fittings, etc just that little bit more of a pita but that's just my take and others may disagree.
I'm having a really disappointing first experience with Porter Davis and my build hasn't even begun! What I initially thought was a good deal, not a really great deal, keeps taking a nose dive. Price is a huge consideration in anyones build, especially for first home buyers like myself especially when embarking on the experience by yourself. You can understand that I have been saving for quite a number of years to be able to afford a house which is comfortable but not over the top. It's a common trap to expect to be able to have everything you want in a new house, and an easy one to fall into.

So what's my issue with Porter Davis and why do I want to share it? Simple, this forum is for sharing information and this is information for first home buyers and other buyers that are thinking about going with Porter Davis, it's my experience but I don't speak for everyone. I was quick to jump on an offer before Christmas in November 2011 for a terrace house in Marriott Waters, an estate I had looked at previously and was keen to live in since it's close to family and not too far from work. My first dealings with PD were very welcoming and the sales staff are very friendly and very knowledgable and if the answer wasn't known you would soon have a response. I liked the house, I liked the price, so I signed up and started my PD experience.

From that point on the customer service failed miserably, once assigned a BC (Building Coordinator) I was very slow to receive answers to questions and that was if I got a response. I used the 24 Seven portal to ask questions as soon as I received my login details with no reply from the BC, I then sent a follow up email instead of the 24 Seven portal, after which I received a phone call the next day from the BC with an answer. This was before Christmas and before having had my tile, colours and electrical appointments. Three weeks before needing to choose tiles, colours and electricals I asked a couple of price related questions for my considerations when picking different items to my BC. Two weeks had passed with no response, I sent another follow up email for an answer to which the BC replied apologising as they thought they had answered the email I was promised a response by the end of the day. The next week I chose my tiles, colours and electrical, still now answer from the BC regarding some pricing on items relating to these appointments. To this date I still have not received a response from my BC and my contract signing is next week.

Now it has come to my attention that PD have some very generous specials on the Access range of houses and I can't help but feel extremely ripped off when I haven't even signed a contract. There are items now included which I am paying extra for such as the simple fact of having a remote control garage door, things that should be included as a standard item but instead end up breaking the budget to include in my case, cutting out a lot of other things I would like. Anyone will agree when it comes to money and a lack of service you can't help but feel ripped off.

This is a case where I feel as soon as I signed up for this experience and put my deposit down PD just doesn't care about it's customers. I'm buying a house which I intend to live in for quite a number of years, it's a massive purchase for anyone. While I feel like I'm crying poor I am mainly disgruntled from the extras not included in my package and I'm not normally one to complain. I don't want to take away from the small amount of positive experiences, the most helpful people along the way have been the sales consultant at the beginning, the fantastic staff at National Tiles who should be an example of how to treat customers and lastly the help I received during my electrical appointment, truly amazing customer service.

I'd like to think this is only happening to me but some family members purchased the same house a street across from me and are having exactly the same issues. I'm really disappointed this is the case because PD have such a high reputation, at this point I can almost guarantee when I am next considering building or if friends and family are I would in no circumstances recommend Porter Davis.

A disappointing first post but I needed to vent, thanks for reading

Matt
Hi matt
I know exactly how you feel, if your not happy and haven't signed a contract you are in the position to walk away. Your should never extend yourself financially and only spend within your limits.

A good BC makes a world of a difference when you are at the admin stage, if you start building your SS is your new best friend and you won't need to deal with the BC
Matthew83
I'm having a really disappointing first experience with Porter Davis and my build hasn't even begun! What I initially thought was a good deal, not a really great deal, keeps taking a nose dive. Price is a huge consideration in anyones build, especially for first home buyers like myself especially when embarking on the experience by yourself. You can understand that I have been saving for quite a number of years to be able to afford a house which is comfortable but not over the top. It's a common trap to expect to be able to have everything you want in a new house, and an easy one to fall into.

So what's my issue with Porter Davis and why do I want to share it? Simple, this forum is for sharing information and this is information for first home buyers and other buyers that are thinking about going with Porter Davis, it's my experience but I don't speak for everyone. I was quick to jump on an offer before Christmas in November 2011 for a terrace house in Marriott Waters, an estate I had looked at previously and was keen to live in since it's close to family and not too far from work. My first dealings with PD were very welcoming and the sales staff are very friendly and very knowledgable and if the answer wasn't known you would soon have a response. I liked the house, I liked the price, so I signed up and started my PD experience.

From that point on the customer service failed miserably, once assigned a BC (Building Coordinator) I was very slow to receive answers to questions and that was if I got a response. I used the 24 Seven portal to ask questions as soon as I received my login details with no reply from the BC, I then sent a follow up email instead of the 24 Seven portal, after which I received a phone call the next day from the BC with an answer. This was before Christmas and before having had my tile, colours and electrical appointments. Three weeks before needing to choose tiles, colours and electricals I asked a couple of price related questions for my considerations when picking different items to my BC. Two weeks had passed with no response, I sent another follow up email for an answer to which the BC replied apologising as they thought they had answered the email I was promised a response by the end of the day. The next week I chose my tiles, colours and electrical, still now answer from the BC regarding some pricing on items relating to these appointments. To this date I still have not received a response from my BC and my contract signing is next week.

Now it has come to my attention that PD have some very generous specials on the Access range of houses and I can't help but feel extremely ripped off when I haven't even signed a contract. There are items now included which I am paying extra for such as the simple fact of having a remote control garage door, things that should be included as a standard item but instead end up breaking the budget to include in my case, cutting out a lot of other things I would like. Anyone will agree when it comes to money and a lack of service you can't help but feel ripped off.

This is a case where I feel as soon as I signed up for this experience and put my deposit down PD just doesn't care about it's customers. I'm buying a house which I intend to live in for quite a number of years, it's a massive purchase for anyone. While I feel like I'm crying poor I am mainly disgruntled from the extras not included in my package and I'm not normally one to complain. I don't want to take away from the small amount of positive experiences, the most helpful people along the way have been the sales consultant at the beginning, the fantastic staff at National Tiles who should be an example of how to treat customers and lastly the help I received during my electrical appointment, truly amazing customer service.

I'd like to think this is only happening to me but some family members purchased the same house a street across from me and are having exactly the same issues. I'm really disappointed this is the case because PD have such a high reputation, at this point I can almost guarantee when I am next considering building or if friends and family are I would in no circumstances recommend Porter Davis.

A disappointing first post but I needed to vent, thanks for reading

Matt

Hi Matt,

As Tstr1a has stated if you have not signed the contract, you can walk away and they will return your deposit.

And a good BC does make a huge difference...so far we have had two BC's...the first BC was good and replied promptly...the second one is getting there after the initial do not care attitude.

If you think that the current promo is better that the first I don't see a reason (if you ask) they will offer it to you, remember the sales person gets his commission only after you have signed the contract.

Cheers - J & C
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum