Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 194 of 862
Eli-Kay your current garden is beautiful-shame to leave it. Pittosporum silver sheen will cover that wall great! My mum has also made some cuttings of them and enligh box hedges, so hopefully we will have something to start with. our front yard will be our priority as it needs to be completed by 3 months of occupancy(i am sure that is flexible) but it would be great to get it established before next winter.
JLD
Well we've had site scrape and cut & fill so I think that qualifies as commenced

237 days to go

Hi JLD,

Congratulations! That definitely qualifies as commencement. Cheers, Ebony
Sammyjane31
Eli-Kay your current garden is beautiful-shame to leave it. Pittosporum silver sheen will cover that wall great! My mum has also made some cuttings of them and enligh box hedges, so hopefully we will have something to start with. our front yard will be our priority as it needs to be completed by 3 months of occupancy(i am sure that is flexible) but it would be great to get it established before next winter.

Aren't mother's just wonderful. You can rely on them for the help. As we want a little veggie/herb patch my future mother in law has already organised pots of herbs for me, God love her.

I am hoping the new owners will continue to look after my garden. Although it's small it is/was my pride and joy. I'd be devastated if they let it go. I will be a stalker and be sure to drive past it from time to time just to see and show my two girls. It was their first home. Funnily enough, I still keep driving past my parents old home where I was brought up just to see how the new owners are treating it.

Yes we are in the same boat as you, we have to have our front yard completed within 3 months. In one way it's good, so the street looks nice. Otherwise people could take years to do the front and it makes the area look unsightly.
I've been reading this forum for over a year now and have found it really helpful during our build. We're first home builders building on the northern suburbs. We purchased the land in september 2009 which was due to title in may 2010. We signed PD contracts in December 2009. Land got delayed by 12 months so titled in may this year. So after 12 months delay and a significant amount of money that we had to pay to PD for delays that were not our fault, we began our build on July 18 this year. Wind forward almost 5 months to the day, we will be getting the keys to our house on December 20!! The actual build process has been fantastic our SS is amazing and the last 2 BC have been great too. The quality of the build has been great and there have only been minor issues that have needed to be rectified.
The initial admin process was less than impressive and we had a few BCs that were not that helpful to the point that we considered selling our land and
buying an established house. Luckily we stuck with it because we are very happy customers
Bricks aren't available. We knew this was coming but were given a slight glimmer of hope at Construction sign off that there may have been stock of the Hawthorn brick kept aside for PD.

Sad part is, we're not sold on any other Austral bricks - we've been doing research on alternatives.

Reaching out on a limb to see if Boral is an option... doubt we'll have any luck, but have to ask. But none of those really grab us either...

Grrrr... stupid bricks.
Rups
Bricks aren't available. We knew this was coming but were given a slight glimmer of hope at Construction sign off that there may have been stock of the Hawthorn brick kept aside for PD.

Sad part is, we're not sold on any other Austral bricks - we've been doing research on alternatives.

Reaching out on a limb to see if Boral is an option... doubt we'll have any luck, but have to ask. But none of those really grab us either...

Grrrr... stupid bricks.

Yup.. you could see it coming, look at the dramas I had, I got the hawksburns back in the end, and cut it completely fine, with only 2 bricks left over.

No go on the Boral. Oh well.

Need to find the best match from Austral to the Hawthorn. Not interested in the Hawksburn anymore...
humble
Rups

Grrrr... stupid bricks.

Yup.. you could see it coming, look at the dramas I had, I got the hawksburns back in the end, and cut it completely fine, with only 2 bricks left over.

/quote]

That sucks! I guess i should be some what thankful we didn't upgrade our bricks.

Keep us posted!
Rups
No go on the Boral. Oh well.

Need to find the best match from Austral to the Hawthorn. Not interested in the Hawksburn anymore...

So sorry to hear Rups. I know exactly how you feel and I am sure Humble does also but he did have a happy ending..... like us you will have to choose another brick. We did the same as you and begged for a boral brick but it was no go.

I had a look for you...what about Austral Blackwood here is a link of a home built using this brick. It looks similar to the Hawthorn. http://oursavannah28.blogspot.com/2010/ ... eaned.html

If you like it get Austral to give you addresses of homes built using this brick. Good luck matey.
[quote="humble

/quote]

Humble, I'm a little confused. You wrote above you got the Hawksburn bricks but I thought you ended up getting the Hawthorns. Is this a typo. If you did get the Hawthorns and you want some spare bricks eg. for a letter box or wall etc.. look what I found on ebay.....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hawthorn-Bri ... 3cbf21c261
Hi All,

Just wondering how often the SS should keep in contact with you...
I have spoken once to our SS 5 weeks ago just prior to the build over the phone and have not heard from him since.
Considering we are half way through the framing stage I'm disappointed no contact has been made.
Would have thought a quick phone call would be made to tell me the slab had been finished?

I have fired an email to my BC indicating my concerns, lets see what traction I get.

How often is everyone else SS speaking to them?
Aside from our first introduction, our SS has never called us. We are at lock up now!

He is an absolute delight though, we call whenever we have a concern or want an update and he gets straight to the task. No complaints from us!
Alpal
Hi All,

I have spoken once to our SS 5 weeks ago just prior to the build over the phone and have not heard from him since.
Considering we are half way through the framing stage I'm disappointed no contact has been made.
Would have thought a quick phone call would be made to tell me the slab had been finished?

I have fired an email to my BC indicating my concerns, lets see what traction I get.

Hi Alpal,

We speak to our SS on average once a fortnight. If you have your SS mobile, just call him. We do send emails to our administrator to pass onto our SS for any issues we have so it's all documented. PD prefer this so nothing is a miss and it's all documented and she always gets back to me on the matters.
eli-kay123
Alpal
Hi All,

Hi Alpal,

We speak to our SS on average once a fortnight. If you have your SS mobile, just call him. We do send emails to our administrator to pass onto our SS for any issues we have so it's all documented. PD prefer this so nothing is a miss and it's all documented and she always gets back to me on the matters.

I or my SS will speak once a week, any issues that we have with the build are emailed to the BC for record keeping, and I also typically follow up with emails after every every call.

Just before regarding the bricks, yes, we typo'd.. We got the Hawthorns, not Hawksburn.
Alpal
Looks Great JLD!!

Block has great access, looks nice and flat also...
They should have at least the slab and some of the frame up by XMAS you think?

Nope! Got a call today from our BC letting me know that the SS has delayed slab pour from the 12th to the 19th due to today's weather
I must have a record of some sort, weather delay after 1 day!

Not worried, it gives the slab plenty of time to cure.

Rups

Grrrr... stupid bricks.

That's no good Rups/Leanne....hope you can find something that you like.
argh rups and leanne, feel for you!

well we now have our piers and we got our plumbing, electrical underground going in tomorrow. one little hiccup we need an extra retaining wall as per SS and my DH chatting. I emailed to confirm that PD will be footing the bill [we already paid an extra $15K over in site costs than another builder had quoted for the exact same specs] but our BC [who is also lovely] rightly said we will jump that bridge when we come to it. So I hope that things work out tomorrow when DH and SS and the retaining wall guys are meeting to discuss it.

Anyway, Im super pleased that things are moving along.
Great that things are moving along for you BB. Sounds like your SS is a good one
JLD
Nope! Got a call today from our BC letting me know that the SS has delayed slab pour from the 12th to the 19th due to today's weather I must have a record of some sort, weather delay after 1 day!

Not worried, it gives the slab plenty of time to cure

Probably not a bad thing...
I was worried that the framing would sit in the elements for the month (XMAS Break) which I didnt want..
As for mine - At the start I was crossing my fingers that the roof and wrapping is on before XMAS - would be surprised if it wasnt now...
Lui
I've been reading this forum for over a year now and have found it really helpful during our build. We're first home builders building on the northern suburbs. We purchased the land in september 2009 which was due to title in may 2010. We signed PD contracts in December 2009. Land got delayed by 12 months so titled in may this year. So after 12 months delay and a significant amount of money that we had to pay to PD for delays that were not our fault, we began our build on July 18 this year. Wind forward almost 5 months to the day, we will be getting the keys to our house on December 20!! The actual build process has been fantastic our SS is amazing and the last 2 BC have been great too. The quality of the build has been great and there have only been minor issues that have needed to be rectified.
The initial admin process was less than impressive and we had a few BCs that were not that helpful to the point that we considered selling our land and
buying an established house. Luckily we stuck with it because we are very happy customers

Hi Lui,

I’m really pleased to hear you’re happy and that your home is now only an arm’s reach away. Thank you for sharing your honest feedback on the forum, I’m sure it will help other members who are building at the moment. I’d love to see some photo’s if you have any. Cheers, Ebony
Alpal
Hi All,

Hi Alpal,

I’m glad you’ve reached out to your BC about this and to the members on the forum – you’ve had quite different responses. Do you have the contact number for your SS? Your BC should be able to give you this if you dont have it. Cheers, Ebony
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum