Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 156 of 862
Hey Mel,

You will easily fit a French door fridge in 950mm. We have 910 and we are going to get one too.

The Electrolux EHE5107SA has really good reviews. Its dimensions are 1745(h) x 790(w) x 612(d). Here is a pic, it is beautiful (for a fridge). Ohh and the capacity is 510L

Leanne

Rups
humble
cattycatcat
Hi!

I have my colour and electrical appointment at Hopetoun on Monday. Got any tips? anything that ihave to remembr or make sure they do?

Cheers,

Cat

Make sure you have ALL your lists already.. go today if you must, but make sure you know exactly what you want. With Electrical.. Its a stupid process tbh.. I got really frustrated with the electrical and was fed incorrect information (especially around 6 star),

Just go prepared.

+ 1
make sure you have about 80% of your selections already done so you are not pressured with time. Let them help you with the 20% you are not sure of. Take your tile samples with you.

Add anything and everything you could possibly want, then take them out at contract if they end up too much. The staff at Hopetoun are NOT accurate with their price estimates.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much!
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone has successfully used 1/2 strength colours from the
Wattyl finishing touches brochure? We are having a huge wait to get an answer on this question. We were thinking 1/2 Reiki but read someone on homeone that it is perhaps not possible to half strength the paints?

Also does anyone know the brick, render and downpipe/fascia/garage door colouring for the Livingstone 21 display at Saltwater Creek Point Cook? Waiting for ages on that one too.

Finally; we gave our $1000 deposit back in August and then on 25 August the brick categories changed so that the brick we wanted is now in a different category. What gives - did we lock in the prices as we thought by giving our deposit or do we have to pay the extra $$ now that the brick has changed category.

Thanks!
Hi bigbuild,

Have you rung Hopetoun direct? I've spoken to the girls there on the weekends by phone or during the week and they go and get the details straight away for you. Just tell them the Display and they will look up the colours.

When I was in there looking the other day I asked for the paint deck and they had the half strengths on the deck so I assumed that was no problem.

As for the price lock, my understanding is that it is only to lock in the base price of the house and the promotion that was offered then. All the colours and options only get price locked at contract.

Hope you get your answers
Hi everyone, I need some honest opinions as to whether im being a fussy, annoying customer(something I was determined not to be) or whether I have reason to be concerned with my service so far.

I'm still at a very early stage (contract signing next week) but I feel like it's been a constant battle ever since our sales consultant handed our file over to the building coordinator.
She rang and introduced herself and booked our contract signing and left it at that, I expected a letter or something with ways to contact her, instead i got an example HIA contract and nothing else, luckily she called me on my mobile so I had the number stored on there to call back.
I managed to get her email from somebody else in the office so I could ask some questions, but it wasn't until I had a whinge on here and Ebony helped that I actually got any answers, then only after asking for it she gave me details for the 24seven portal.
On there I notice our build address was the same as our current address so I tell her, no reply regarding that so I assume not a big deal. Get to our electrical apt and they are not prepared cos they don't know we are building in a FTTH estate, they thought it was a knockdown and rebuild. Also they dont have our proper plans as the soil test was not back yet so drawings are not done.
Another email gets the address fixed up, I also ask about whether our contract date is going to be ok (it was booked for tomorrow 12th) a couple more days before an email saying we have to move contract back due to the soil report, so it's pushed back 10 days to the 22nd. This affects what we were planning on doing with our finance, as land settlement is October.
Now I notice on the 24seven portal that they have our correct build address, except the estate is completely wrong (they have Selandra Rise, we are building in EdenBrook, different estates, different suburbs. It's not like we picked an estate nobody had heard of, it was a house and land package exclusive to PD. Now im concerned that this mistake will affect the soils report, I also notice our selections are up there but are missing a couple of small additions that were made immediately after the appointments.
So I sent another email that was received before 12 on Friday, I just have to wait again to see if I get a reply at all about this.
I feel like an annoying customer, I don't wanna be one! But it feels like if I wasn't being annoying that I would be in trouble
JLD
Hi All,

Quick question, how long after your Sales Consultant got your file to head office before you heard from your BC with appts?

TIA

Mine is 2 days.
visine
JLD
Hi All,

Quick question, how long after your Sales Consultant got your file to head office before you heard from your BC with appts?

TIA

Mine is 2 days.

Mine was 10 Days
Hi All,

Have a quick question re tile selection...
We signed the house with the Style promo that includes Cat 1 flooring tiles or laminate. Paid a visit to Nat Tiles yesterday and puzzled\shocked by the prices...
I selected a tile (porc "wet cemet") that is showing $40m2 on the vendors website yet when I asked the price to the sales consultant they told me it was $60m2 ABOVE the flooring allowance...

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? I was informed by the SC the cost would be the difference in price from the Cat1 to selected tile but this does not seem to be the case? The Standard tiles are around $25m2 on their website.

Appreciate anyones advice

Cheers
Alpal
Hi All,

We signed the house with the Style promo that includes Cat 1 flooring tiles or laminate. Paid a visit to Nat Tiles yesterday and puzzled\shocked by the prices...
I selected a tile (porc "wet cemet") that is showing $40m2 on the vendors website yet when I asked the price to the sales consultant they told me it was $60m2 ABOVE the flooring allowance...

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? I was informed by the SC the cost would be the difference in price from the Cat1 to selected tile but this does not seem to be the case? The Standard tiles are around $25m2 on their website.

Cheers

Same thing happened to us.
We picked porcelain tiles priced at about $30m2 at National Tiles and when doing our selection were told the price was about double even though our package included standard ceramic laid we thought we'd be paying $30m instead paid double

In saying that, the tilers that laid ours did a brilliant job and I don't know that if I paid somebody later to do it it would be any cheaper or as good a job.
So, basically PD "give" you ceramic tiles as part of your package, you don't get a credit back if you decide not to use them and you still pay full price for your porcelain plus a fee to lay...
Alpal
Hi All,

Cheers

The price NT gives you includes supply and laying. The price on the manufacturer's website will *probably* be supply only.
Wateman
Hi everyone, I need some honest opinions as to whether im being a fussy, annoying customer(something I was determined not to be) or whether I have reason to be concerned with my service so far.

I'm still at a very early stage (contract signing next week) but I feel like it's been a constant battle ever since our sales consultant handed our file over to the building coordinator.
She rang and introduced herself and booked our contract signing and left it at that, I expected a letter or something with ways to contact her, instead i got an example HIA contract and nothing else, luckily she called me on my mobile so I had the number stored on there to call back.
I managed to get her email from somebody else in the office so I could ask some questions, but it wasn't until I had a whinge on here and Ebony helped that I actually got any answers, then only after asking for it she gave me details for the 24seven portal.
On there I notice our build address was the same as our current address so I tell her, no reply regarding that so I assume not a big deal. Get to our electrical apt and they are not prepared cos they don't know we are building in a FTTH estate, they thought it was a knockdown and rebuild. Also they dont have our proper plans as the soil test was not back yet so drawings are not done.
Another email gets the address fixed up, I also ask about whether our contract date is going to be ok (it was booked for tomorrow 12th) a couple more days before an email saying we have to move contract back due to the soil report, so it's pushed back 10 days to the 22nd. This affects what we were planning on doing with our finance, as land settlement is October.
Now I notice on the 24seven portal that they have our correct build address, except the estate is completely wrong (they have Selandra Rise, we are building in EdenBrook, different estates, different suburbs. It's not like we picked an estate nobody had heard of, it was a house and land package exclusive to PD. Now im concerned that this mistake will affect the soils report, I also notice our selections are up there but are missing a couple of small additions that were made immediately after the appointments.
So I sent another email that was received before 12 on Friday, I just have to wait again to see if I get a reply at all about this.
I feel like an annoying customer, I don't wanna be one! But it feels like if I wasn't being annoying that I would be in trouble

Although we haven't had the same level of mistakes you've had, our BC is a bit on the unresponsive side, but when pushed, gets her act into gear. Not an ideal situation, as it gets tiring and the onus is on us to make sure our admin stuff is getting sorted.

Do you have a good relationship with your SC? Have a chat to them, letting them know your issues and that you don't want to go ahead due to lack of capability. They will most likely get in touch with your BC's boss who may contact you and give you the option to change...
Rups
The price NT gives you includes supply and laying. The price on the manufacturer's website will *probably* be supply only.

True, but i'm sure when PD supply you ceramic tiles as part of your package they're supplying them laid, they're not just dumping them in a pile on your lounge room floor, so they are double dipping on the labour charge when they're charging your $30m2 to lay your non standard porcelain...
building1
Rups

True, but i'm sure when PD supply you ceramic tiles as part of your package they're supplying them laid, they're not just dumping them in a pile on your lounge room floor, so they are double dipping on the labour charge when they're charging your $30m2 to lay your non standard porcelain...

That is also true, but rectangular tiles cost more to lay than square; square tiles larger than 300mm cost more to lay; and porcelain tiles cost more again!!

Plus I would hazard a guess that the volume discounts PD get on the standard range would be compensated for in the upgraded selection...

...And after forking out the hard earned, hoping that the tilers take pride in their work like yours did!
building1
Rups

As soon as you make a change.. expect to get shafted.. all builders do it this way.. sad.. but true.
Wateman

Hi Wateman,
Your BC doesn't seem to be in control of your case, I recommend that you give her a call after 2days if she does not reply to your email. It would be better to speak to her directly about your concerns. I had a similar problem at first with my BC who didn't reply within 48hrs, so I would give her a call and then told her that I would appreciate if she could reply to my emails within 48hrs or at least acknowledge that she received my emails. So communication is very important.

Hope things improve for you
pup
humble
building1
Rups

As soon as you make a change.. expect to get shafted.. all builders do it this way.. sad.. but true.

Really appreciate everyones feedback..

I tend to agree this is a rought and double dipping...
We are thinking that we will get them to lay laminate on the main floor with the intention to rip them up and replace within 5 years with a better quality engineered\hardwood timber which I should get at a better price. Im getting over the "this is included - but you're going to get ripped if you upgrade" mentality. Not donating anymore than I have to for the PD privillage....

Have Tender appointment tomorrow so will be interested to see the hidden costs..

Cheers
MelNRob
eli-kay123
MelNRob
I have arisen from the nomans land of building..hehe...hope everyone's build is going smoothly! Blog has been updated with the last months progress (wow that is amazing how the time is just flying by!) we are nearing the end. SS thinks we can have PCI on the 4th October now! YYYIIIPPPEEEE!!!

Hi MelNRob,

Your home is coming along really well. It's looks really good.
Bugger!!! I noticed you have a featured Niche. I should have put one in the hallway entrance. I'm kicking myself now.
I bet it didn't even cost that much to do. So many things going on in your head during selection stage and you forget little things like this. I also should have made the walk in pantry door 720mm wide instead of the 820mm wide so I could have made the cavity for the fridge wider. I haven't measured that cavity yet but by looking at it I don't think I can fit a humungous fridge there.
/quote]

Hi Eli-Kay! We're getting there...i'm kinda getting over living in one room without our "Stuff"...lol. I can't remember exactly what it cost to do the niche. No more than a couple of hundred i reckon. I actually picked up on the idea on here (theres a thread about things to remember when going through selections) and thought with a nice hall table in front it would just lift the entry way a bit. if you have someone pretty handy you can probably do one urself within the framework...be sure to take a pic of the area so you know where the studs are and if there is any wiring in the vicinity.

I too missed the boat on the widened fridge space
. Didn't even know it was an option! I really like the design rejig that Puppyso did to alter their fridge cavity. i want one of those french door styles. Rob reckons the 950 width will be plenty for that style. It should be ok and not limit you to fridge choices too much, unless when you say humungous fridge it is because you are feeding a family of ten and need the industrial size? lol!

We might build into the pantry a cabinet on the left hand side and install a bar fridge (for all those drinks that take up space in a fridge) and then we wouldn't need to get too big a fridge...we're nearing that fun stage where we will have to go out and look for fridges...started last month and went to the Clive Peters closing down sale in Dandenong in the hopes of finding a bargain but there was nothing left! it was crazy!

Cheers,
Mel

Hi Mel,

Yes good idea, I will take a picture just in case we decide down the track to do a featured niche. Yes, I love those french door fridges like Rups had mentioned. I did leave a cavity in the laundry for my current fridge as I want to purchase a new style fridge for the kitchen. Believe me, it doesn't take long for me to fill up the fridge and freezer. Because I work 5 days a week, I like to make batches of lasagna or bolognaise sauce and freeze it, so we can have quick meals during the week. My partner thinks I'm nuts lol... I tell him look at your mum and dad, they are only 2 elderly people and they have 2 fridges and a freezer, and it's all stocked. We are two adults and 4 kids and we definitely need another fridge. In the end I won that fight.

Here are some reviews of french door fridges. This is a great site to read peoples feedback/reviews about lots of products. I use this site to help me decide on certain products. Things that salespeople don't always tell you or aren't aware of.

http://www.productreview.com.au/c/frenc ... ators.html
Have worked out by zooming in on a load of pics that the house we liked the brick, garage and fascia etc of is actually the Darnley 29 at saltwater creek point cook!

What number were you using for hometoun? I must have tried 20 times no luck getting answers.
JLD
Hi All,

TIA

Hi JLD,
Firstly congrats and welcome to the forum! As you can see it’s excellent in seeking advice or help from other home builders who are at all different stages! Another great source is the PD Blog - http://blog.porterdavis.com.au/ Plus I’m also here to help as well so please feel free to private message me if you need further assistance. If you don’t hear from BC please let me know.
Cheers, Ebony
humble
Now this is commitment.. rain is coming in sideways and my framers are out in it.. putting up the frame.
I have the front master bedroom done.. its a start!

Hi humble,
Now that is commitment! I hope the rain subsides for the rest of the week so they can finish the rest of the frame work!
Cheers, Ebony
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum