Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 153 of 862
visine
Wateman
visine
I was quoted for smart wiring lite pack for less than $1700 excluding trenching. Is this what normally offered by PD. Always thought that trenching is included in price.

Hi Visine,
I just had my electrical appointment on Friday and was given the same price. I was under the impression that the trenching is included in the 'estate covenants' section of my quote. I think maybe because you MUST have the trenching done (at least in my estate) but you don't have to have the smart wiring.
I am still waiting for an email to confirm this though!

Hi Wateman,
Ive got a separate Telstra underground trenching in sales quotation and was advised that this wasn't for smart wiring cabling. Not sure if this is right, my understanding is all underground cabling and piping can go in the same trench provided that there is at least 300mm separation between them.

We have the smart wiring pack for ~$1700, but had to pay an additional $308 for the trench and conduit. We are in a Telstra Velocity smart community, so it's for the fibre from the pit to the side of the house.

What I found odd was that PD / Argus never mentioned the option. It was only post contract when we were reading our documentation (for the gazillionth time) that we wondered if it needing specifying, and lo n behold, it did... as did forking out more money for it...
Hi Rups,

The other thing i found odd is that PD claim their houses meet 6 star energy rating in any orientation (it used to be 5 star last year) with only just sisalation wall instead of batts insulation. I would be tempted to get independent energy consultant to rate the house.
visine
Hi Rups,

The other thing i found odd is that PD claim their houses meet 6 star energy rating in any orientation (it used to be 5 star last year) with only just sisalation wall instead of batts insulation. I would be tempted to get independent energy consultant to rate the house.

hey visine,

my thoughts is that if you are going to get independent checks to check everything that PD do then why build with them if you have a trust issue. It's actually state law for all new houses to be 6 star otherwise a permit to build wont be issued.
visine
Hi Rups,

visine
Hi Rups,

Hi Visine
To my knowledge, at the moment they are meeting these requirements through lighting. We signed our contract just before the 6 star change came in. We made some adjustments to our plan which affected our 5 star rating (adding larger windows and bifolds) so we had to increase our ceiling batts to R3.5 and add R2.0 to the walls. This cost us about 1.5k from memory.

Friends of ours did their electrical plans after the change and all PD had on offer at this stage to meet these requirements was to make all the lighting more energy efficient. The down lights are now all LED and they were restricted with the number of flood lights they could have.
Hi Rups

Some great ideas for your landscape! I have two dogs so also want mine all done before I move in (am I worng to still be hoping to be in by Christmas??).

I really should get cracking and have a serious thinks about what I want!
tstr1a
visine
Hi Rups,

hey visine,

my thoughts is that if you are going to get independent checks to check everything that PD do then why build with them if you have a trust issue. It's actually state law for all new houses to be 6 star otherwise a permit to build wont be issued.
visine
Hi Rups,

Hi tstr1a,

I didn’t explain myself clearly beforehand. What I meant was if wall sisalation met 6 star energy rating with base inclusion and promotion kept as standard without any upgrades to building fabric and lighting which include single glazing and batten points, then Im happy with it. BCA 2011 have called artificial lighting must not exceed 5W/m2 which really hard to work with even with LED. What I’m not prepare to happen is that if PD came back to me with a couple thousand bill to add 1.5 wall batts in order to meet 6 star rating requirements. My understanding is since 6 star is in the promotion, it should’ve been included. I haven’t got into this stage yet and being a professional builder I don’t think PD will charge extra unless major upgrades to building fabric and lighting which require walls to have better insulation.
I just got the phone call from PD to say I am officially at lock up now! Invoice is in the mail!
I totally agree with you, but (and there is always a BUT with builders) 6 star is based on a standard plan on any orientation. The reason why they don’t mention the R-value for walls and ceiling is due to all houses being different on their orientation. Some house may require more or less insulation.

Where you will pay extra is for the extent of your modifications (windows, lights, doors all pay a significant factor to the rating). They charged us $271 to add a draft stopper to the front door and increase the wall batts from R1.5 to R2 (due to the mods we made to the house).

On top of this I increased the ceiling insulation rating from R2.5 (which was perfectly fine for our rating) to R4.0, which they charged me $800.

I would recommend that everyone should factor $500 to $1,500 into their budgets.
macfan
Noticed some posts regarding SS. Our SS rang couple days before the slab pour and one of the first things he said was "do not contact me on weekends". Just this statement alone showed us how helpful he was going to be. The problems started right away, with the slab pour first (still not resolved), then framework (resolved), now brickwork. It is very difficult to get in touch with our SS by any means and on rare occasions he rings, everything is fine to him, he does not see any problems.

During the last conversation when we tried to note the brickwork was not to what it should be, he said we should not go to the site and check it! Now we can only go to the site on weekends and SS is not allowing us to contact him on weekends, so when can we go to the site? It is our house, we are going to live in it, we are paying money for it and we expect a good job! So we are going to go to the site when we can and will keep pointing all the problems we see to the SS or by the looks of it to someone higher up now.

The only positive thing so far regarding SS is his scheduled assignment of workers on the site. There is always someone working at the site.

The question I have is who do I contact at Porter Davis to discuss this further. I am not happy with SS attitude at all. Is there a customer service email or management email where my email will not just sit there but be read and followed up?

We are building in Melbourne's SE suburbs.

Hi macfan,
I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties with your SS and the issues you’ve experienced so far with your build. I understand your frustrations and I’m sure your SS is not trying to make things difficult for you but perhaps there is a better way of managing the flow of communication. Have you spoken to your Building Coordinator about how you are feeling? They are best person to expel your concerns to. Please let me know how go and keep me in the loop with your progress. Regards, Ebony
Audreyand Oscar
Hi

I'm building with PD in Point Cook and have some updated pics on my blog - if anyone is iterested

Hi Audreyand Oscar,
Thanks for sharing your pictures! Your house if coming along great, you’ll be able to put your interior design skills to use soon once the fittings and fixtures are complete. How long until lock up? Cheers, Ebony
Frames delivery pegged for Thursday.. flying.
Audreyand Oscar
Hi Rups

Some great ideas for your landscape! I have two dogs so also want mine all done before I move in (am I worng to still be hoping to be in by Christmas??).

I really should get cracking and have a serious thinks about what I want!

Hey A&O,

I really think you have a great chance of being in by Christmas. Our friends in SWC are building PD's Churchill 33 and are up to roofing and they think they will be in by Christmas. So if they think they will be, then you definitely will.
I did another drive by after work today and SWC just keeps looking better and better. I decided then that it would be a fantastic place to have friends for New Years Eve. We would be able to walk to the end of our street and watch the fireworks.

Maybe New Years will have to be at your house this year then
tstr1a
I totally agree with you, but (and there is always a BUT with builders) 6 star is based on a standard plan on any orientation. The reason why they don’t mention the R-value for walls and ceiling is due to all houses being different on their orientation. Some house may require more or less insulation.

Where you will pay extra is for the extent of your modifications (windows, lights, doors all pay a significant factor to the rating). They charged us $271 to add a draft stopper to the front door and increase the wall batts from R1.5 to R2 (due to the mods we made to the house).

On top of this I increased the ceiling insulation rating from R2.5 (which was perfectly fine for our rating) to R4.0, which they charged me $800.

I would recommend that everyone should factor $500 to $1,500 into their budgets.

Im sure you'll feel nice and comfy inside all year round with first level being R4.0 ceiling batts.

I'm just wondering if anyone has to add extra insulation as a result upgrading sliding door to bifold door or standard window to a bigger window on the North end of the house? My understanding is maximising North windows will give a better energy rating provided others kept as standard.

I guess i have to redo our budget again tonight to include wall insulation..
visine
I'm just wondering if anyone has to add extra insulation as a result upgrading sliding door to bifold door or standard window to a bigger window on the North end of the house? My understanding is maximising North windows will give a better energy rating provided others kept as standard.

Hi Visine,

We added extra windows on our north side too and it did affect the energy rating. We had already upgraded our wall and ceiling insulation but the good thing is that when they were added as part of the rating we paid less than we would have paid otherwise.

Even though the windows face north the extra expanse of glass apparently means you need to add other energy saving features. To give you an idea, we ended up with R2.0 wall insulation and R4.1 ceiling insulation and it cost about $1400 for our double storey Wembley.

Hope that helps.. I don't think you'll regret the extra insulation.
Hi Magicjen17,

Thanks for the reply! I wouldve thought upgrading North windows will still comply with 6 star.

was thinking to keep insulation standard and now I'm more into following your path.
visine
Hi Magicjen17,

Thanks for the reply! I wouldve thought upgrading North windows will still comply with 6 star.

was thinking to keep insulation standard and now I'm more into following your path.

I'd imagine that the north facing windows would negatively impact 6 star due to the excess heat they will let in during summer.
Thanks Rups - I have everything crossed and given I received my invoice for lockup yesterday it is looking promising to be in by Christmas.

And sure....I will have the neighbourhood New Year Oarty - just bring your paint brushes, spades and any other tools you like for the working bee that goes along with it!
visine
I was quoted for smart wiring lite pack for less than $1700 excluding trenching. Is this what normally offered by PD. Always thought that trenching is included in price.

Hi visine,
It’s great to see other member’s answering and offering advice, like Wateman, on smart wiring pack. Have you approached your Building Coordinator with your question? They would also be able to give you an up to date answer. Let me know how you go.
Cheers, Ebony
humble
Frames delivery pegged for Thursday.. flying.

Hi humble,
Only 1 more day til your frames are delivered! YAY! Ebony
Its been a while since I've posted updates. Frames started Monday and looking to finish by the end of next week. Our SS is very good and organized (after all the panic I had at prebuild time).

My only concern is with the base. The slab was done last wednesday and I was happy with the result till I looked at another construction site which had slab on the same day built by Devine homes. my slab is no way near to it's finishing and attention to deal. Nothing is wrong with my slab, but I would assume PD to be superior to other builders in terms of quality and attention to deal. When I spoke to my SS this morning, he said every builder is different with how they do it and he is happy with the result of my house slab. He also recon's that bit of rough would help the tiles to be laid easily.

Anyone faced this kinda scenario??
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum