Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 142 of 862
rammy
Hi Guys,

Hope someone can shed some light about the timeframes for Building permits.

Here is the story...I bought land in melbourne west which is already titled. I have signed the contract with PD on 20th June. The CSR called me a week later and said they have to apply for building permit because I chose higher ceilings and my garage was too close to the boundary (or something like that), which would cost $650. Has anyone had this?

My second question is how long would it take to get the building permits? Its been nearly 2 months since i've signed the contract and more than a month I've settled my land and waiting for the building permit. When I contact PD for a timeframe, they have been saying next few days for a month now.

I am sitting ducks and paying the interest on the land which is not an ideal situation.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

This is a hard one coz every council has different requirements. Do you know if there are any planning overlays on you titled land? Your next door neighbour may need to sign off on it and this may cause delays.

PD is in the business of building houses and they won’t delay things coz they want to get paid. If I was you I would get a contract phone number of the person PD is dealing with and ask them why it’s taking so long
Rups
humble
Still no sign of us starting.. sigh..

What's happening Humble? Still paperwork related delays?

Well we had a week because we had to sign off our neighbors design, and then they had to sign ours off, banks took there sweet time, and we have a pcv to get through as well as apparently the heights of our block have changed. (still waiting for evidence of this) so we needed another soil test, then we had council approvals.. and yer.

rammy
Hi Guys,

Here is the story...I bought land in melbourne west which is already titled. I have signed the contract with PD on 20th June. The CSR called me a week later and said they have to apply for building permit because I chose higher ceilings and my garage was too close to the boundary (or something like that), which would cost $650. Has anyone had this?

My second question is how long would it take to get the building permits? Its been nearly 2 months since i've signed the contract and more than a month I've settled my land and waiting for the building permit. When I contact PD for a timeframe, they have been saying next few days for a month now.

I am sitting ducks and paying the interest on the land which is not an ideal situation.

Hi rammy,
I am sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your building permit and understand your frustration. If you want to send me a private message with your full name, lot number, details of the house you are building and the best number to be contacted on so I can in contact with you and discuss it further. Regards, Ebony
Roshi
Team PD
Roshi
Waiting Waiting Waiting !!!!!

I’m highly disappointed due to the time that it takes to handover the house. Now it has been taken 6 weeks after the PCI & still the house is not ready to be settled. All the defects which were there would have been fixed in maximum of 3 weeks, but it has been taken a longer time & tired of waiting.
Whenever I called the supervisor he keeps on telling me that the house would be ready by next week, but this “next week” have not yet come to us... Sounds like we are going to have a second PCI & the date has not been announced..

Has anyone else face to a similar situation.

Hi Roshi,

I am sorry to hear you are having difficulties communicating with your SS and that handover has been delayed. I understand your frustration and want to help you. I will have someone from PD office follow up with your Site Supervisor. I appreciate your patience. Please keep me in the loop with your progress. Regards, Ebony

Hi Ebony,

Thanks for your feedback & attempting to help me out in the process of handover.

Finally, this morning I was able to contact my SS & was able to place a date for the final inspection which will be on coming Friday.

Fingers crossed, hope everything will be fine & we will be able to get the house on friday.

Regards,
Roshi...

Hi Roshi,
Thanks for letting me know, I’m excited for you for Friday. I hope it goes smoothly, be sure to let us know. Cheers, Ebony
tstr1a
rammy
Hi Guys,

This is a hard one coz every council has different requirements. Do you know if there are any planning overlays on you titled land? Your next door neighbour may need to sign off on it and this may cause delays.

PD is in the business of building houses and they won’t delay things coz they want to get paid. If I was you I would get a contract phone number of the person PD is dealing with and ask them why it’s taking so long

Thanks tstr1a. I tried to call my CSR only to find out she doesn't work for PD anymore. The frustration continues.....but I am in contact with Ebony(Team PD). Hope I get an answer soon.
rammy
Hi Guys,

Seems like a long amount of time, but council plays a big factor in it. We were lucky and got ours in about 10 days? It was over the Christmas/New year period too so we were very happy.

Also how far off the boundryline is your garage? We were told they could either be hard up against the edge, or 1m away, but nothing else...
Dont worry, just got stung with a $450 fee because the council decided we couldnt scrape as much as we wanted, so our house/garage height has changed (and now its over 3m) so we needed council disposition.

humble
Dont worry, just got stung with a $450 fee because the council decided we couldnt scrape as much as we wanted, so our house/garage height has changed (and now its over 3m) so we needed council disposition.

Ahhh yes, the old council, they just love lining their pockets over this sort of thing.
Our land contract did not conform to council guidelines so when it came time to get our building permit the land owner across the road had to sign because even though our land contract said we could be 2 meters off the fence the council insisted their rule was 3 meters.
$237, thanks for coming.
I do wonder if this was a deliberate "mistake" as every time somebody had to apply to council it's $237 straight to the council coffers, we know how they love their coffers LOL
And I have a start Date.. next thursday.. 18th!
Great to hear humble
congrats Humble
congrats! you will be amazed how fast it all happens to begin with...I am six weeks in now and ready for bricks
Congrats Humble!!

I still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.....hopefully soon.

Twiggy, from memory my garage is on the boundary of my block. My other neighbor's garage is on the boundary too, so I don't that will be an issue with the council. Not sure what's causing the delay.
I just got a call from PD (Williams Landing Office) enquiring if I was still interested in building a PD house..... WTF??????

I told her that I’m already building with PD and construction has already started... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I needed a good laugh today... Thanks PD for the comedy, it really cheered me up
WTF indeed. They do make some funny mistakes. On our contract drawings we have a sink in the middle of our bedroom. lol
Rups
WTF indeed. They do make some funny mistakes. On our contract drawings we have a sink in the middle of our bedroom. lol

Yes, we had one in the middle of our backyard LOL
What a lovely water feature
Hi,

Yep I'm so excited, count down started.. Fingers Crossed..... Hope we can have the house on Friday.......

Just a query to raise from the forum users regarding the width of the Refrigerator space...

I have extracted the measurements of the space from the final drawings & could anyone please let me know whether the cavity should be 900mm or can it be less than that as there are beams next to it...

Thanks in advance............
Roshi
Hi,

Yep I'm so excited, count down started.. Fingers Crossed..... Hope we can have the house on Friday.......

Just a query to raise from the forum users regarding the width of the Refrigerator space...

I have extracted the measurements of the space from the final drawings & could anyone please let me know whether the cavity should be 900mm or can it be less than that as there are beams next to it...

Thanks in advance............

900mm doesn’t include plaster. Allow 10mm of plaster on each side which means that your cavity is really 880mm.
Now allow 20mm space on each side for your fridge to breathe as well. If you have plenty of clearance space on the top then disregards this point.
tstr1a
900mm doesn’t include plaster. Allow 10mm of plaster on each side which means that your cavity is really 880mm.
Now allow 20mm space on each side for your fridge to breathe as well. If you have plenty of clearance space on the top then disregards this point.

Hi tstr1a,

Thank you for the feedback...

Yep the fridge cavity is 870mm & I was wondering whether it has to be 900mm or can be less due to the plaster boards...

By the way there will be plenty of clearance space on the top, but will not have space on either of the sides.
In that drawing it looks to me like the cavity is 900 and the plaster either side is 90. Do those slanted equals signs mean take 90 off the 900? Sorry what I said isn't clear.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum