Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 133 of 862
SUPPORTING OF BATH

Hello All,

Does anyone know what the correct building practise is for supporting the underside of the Bath once is has been installed? Due to the location of the S-trap waste directly underneath the bath outlet, the underside of the bath cannot sit directly onto the concrete slab and must instead be raised by some means.

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton
Chorlton
SUPPORTING OF BATH

Hello All,

Does anyone know what the correct building practise is for supporting the underside of the Bath once is has been installed? Due to the location of the S-trap waste directly underneath the bath outlet, the underside of the bath cannot sit directly onto the concrete slab and must instead be raised by some means.

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

Chorlton,
If you take a look you should find a hole, or depression in the floor under the bath. At our place this was filled with cement after the pipes were fitted off. The final tile is put in place, then shazam! All done
Hi Roshi
I think only the walls that are shared with inside the house will be plastered.

Chorlton, there was a post earlier on which the bath was chocked up with bricks :/
George's
Chorlton
SUPPORTING OF BATH

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

Chorlton,
If you take a look you should find a hole, or depression in the floor under the bath. At our place this was filled with cement after the pipes were fitted off. The final tile is put in place, then shazam! All done

Hi Georges,

Our bath has recently been installed into the hob.

If I look through the access hole in the side of the hob I can see a hole in the concrete slab which is there to take the s-trap. However, as the underside of the bath itself is about 100mm off the floor slab then to support it a few spare house bricks have been used with mortor on top to "bed" the bath down onto. What makes this worse IMO, is that the bricks have only been used to support one end of the bath. The other end of the bath has nothing underneath it so in effect its only supported at one end.

I just find it difficult to believe that this is acceptable practice, so hence the question on here.
Found it!!

rramesh
Just wondering if this is acceptable work any one have any ideas.

Given this will be covered with plaster boards, I am more concerned about the structural support for the spa.

Is this usually how it is done? Or should I be concerned?
Rups
Found it!!

rramesh
Just wondering if this is acceptable work any one have any ideas.

Given this will be covered with plaster boards, I am more concerned about the structural support for the spa.

Is this usually how it is done? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks Rups..... similar set-up as our bath except only half of our bath is supported with the bricks.... Oh well... seems its common practice then
geoff7
Well we have a slab down, roof on, power and gas roughed in, Solar panel on the roof and heating and aircon in...

Minor glitches;
- Wrong colour meter box..
- some ordinary workmanship in the timber frame, not just by framers but also by other tradies who don't seem to care to much..
- Someone does not know the difference between HDMI and Component video cables..
Major glitches
- Solar panel in wrong spot
- Bricks...

Bricks is the big one I want to give people a heads up so they don't end up in the same spot as us...
It is pretty obvious that bricks are a pretty important part of the overall house.
We chose Austral Bricks Homestead Tan, this was after looking at bricks at Austral display and looking at another house that PD was building at the time.
As I had done my back I was not able to watch bricks for a few days, however as soon as we seen them it was pretty apparent that there had been a big change or a big mess up..
After a bit of research it seems that;
- Austral has changed the brick although it still has the same name.
- PD get a custom Homestead Tan.

The brick that we took to Hopetoun interiors had 3 holes in the brick, the ones we have received on site have 11 more holes.. a total of 14!!
They look really cheap and a lot of them have cracks as they are quite thin between the holes.
They are less consistent in colour and the look of our house has now changed from a clean modern look to a more rustic appearance.
Upon taking the 2 bricks to Austral they said that the original brick was 'the old homestead tan' (which was still on display in the brick walls) and the other brick was not theirs!! When I advised it was their brick they asked who the builder was.. as soon as I said PD they did not want to talk anymore.. that's ok though as once you learn that lesson you can talk to other branches... hence the point re custom homestead tan.

It has become a real pain as the exterior colours for the rest of the house were based on the brick we showed at colour selection..
Whilst bricks can change in colour, the significance of this is such that consumers need to be told prior to laying the bricks.

After a bit of pushing and explaining we now have a meeting on site on Tuesday with PD and Austral so will keep people informed, however we felt it was important as this is a colour that many people use... make sure you know what brick you are going to get..

It is pretty sad that this has occurred as we were on track and stress was behind us.. but now the heckles are up..

All imho etc..

Hi geoff7,

Thanks for the advice on bricks. We are actually building with Metricon and we took pictures of the Homestead Tan bricks at Lynbrook display centre in Victoria. I have sent you a PM for advice. I hope you can find a resolution with PD.

Cheers,
Audicieux.
Hi eli-kay123, Chorlton, tstr1a, Bel&Marz and Rups,

Thanks for your comments with regard to the garage wall. When I enquired from the Supervisor at the PCI, he mentioned me that all the walls will have the brick face, but I was bit doubtful and wanted to see how you would think... Sounds like all brick...............

Thankssssss....
Hi, has anyone placed a keyed lock to the internal doors with PD?

I simply wanted to place keyed locks to 2 of the bed rooms & requested it at the Colour Selection appointment.

But I have done a mistake as I asked for locks & not specifically used the term "Keyed Locks", hence I have got only the locks where I can lock from the inside of the room only.

Hoping to get it done after handover & not quite sure whether we can do it ourselves.

Appreciate your thoughts on it....
Not a standard thing but I reckon if you use the same brand as the one installed then hopefully it will fit in the holes.
Roshi
Hi eli-kay123, Chorlton, tstr1a, Bel&Marz and Rups,

Thanks for your comments with regard to the garage wall. When I enquired from the Supervisor at the PCI, he mentioned me that all the walls will have the brick face, but I was bit doubtful and wanted to see how you would think... Sounds like all brick...............

Thankssssss....

Hi Roshi,
I’m glad to hear that your SS has been able to clear this up for you. And it’s really great that eli-kay123, Chorlton, tstr1a, Bel&Marz and Rups were all able to offer some comments as well. You should share some photos so we can see how it turns out. Thanks for the update. Cheers, Ebony
Just got an email from PD which says they have 2 new companies in the rewards programme. One is a blinds company and one is paving. I cant get the web address to work for the blinds company - Kreative Design, and i haven't had any luck with google.

Here is the link: http://www.swiftpage2.com/CampResource/ ... 1/text.pdf
Brickwork under the spa is awful...
Under a normal bath some put expanding foam which is great but no good on spas because of the pipes.
Must be mad. Thinking of building again. :/
Really karmaz already? Lol
U only recently moved into your house!!!
Who with & what house design are u thinking of building?
HI, I will upload some internal pics of the house during this week & at the moment here's two shots of the final product....
Roshi
HI, I will upload some internal pics of the house during this week & at the moment here's two shots of the final product....

Hi Roshi,
Your Wembley looks great, quite a grand entrance with modern window frames. Can’t wait to see what the inside looks like. What are you planning for the front landscape? Handover is coming up soon, are you getting excited. Cheers, Ebony
Mel, with PD again, this time in Pakenham - completely looney hey? Not sure as yet, still *thinking* about it. The house is a relatively small 16 sq. - I'd like to see a house that size before signing up. Does anyone think a 16sq 3 br, 2 bathroom house is tiny?
karmaz
Mel, with PD again, this time in Pakenham - completely looney hey? Not sure as yet, still *thinking* about it. The house is a relatively small 16 sq. - I'd like to see a house that size before signing up. Does anyone think a 16sq 3 br, 2 bathroom house is tiny?

YEAP.

IS it going to be a rental?
Yes - investment property. We might go and see a display home before committing to anything to make sure that it is roomy enough. Blocks are so tiny and cost so much there, even though supply seems to be plentiful. I dont get it.
Thanks, Mel.
Lovely house Roshi, same facade as mine, only we didnt choose any render, and a diff colour main door.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum