Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 119 of 862
I've got Buckwheat bricks and love them. Also like them because there are hardly any houses with them
Look a lot better on the house than on that small wall too!
Oh and we thought they were pretty cheap too. Cost us about $1,400 for a 41sq double storey (Henley). That aint half bad in my books
fingers crossed
Hi All
Its been a while, but yes we have finally moved in = thinking that we had all covered with all the checks and balances, we still have a lot of work to do but loving being here, we are still finding things which arent up to scratch but thats I suppose part and parcel of building, - so for all of you still building, the fun doesnt end once you are in - its just less stressful.

Hi there fingers crossed,
Good to see you back on the forum and I’m glad to hear that you are all moved in, exciting times. Hopefully the finishing touches that you need completing will go smoothly, please know that I’m here to help where possible if you need assistance. Chees Ebony
Hello Ebony,
About 2 weeks ago I PM you a question and you still haven’t got back to me with an answer. At your earliest convenience can you please help me out.

Cheers
humble
tstr1a
humble
FYI, I have been informed by Hopetoun that the new (replacement) Austral bricks are not available for selection at the moment...

I had a feeling that this would happen. Big business need time to approve new additions and changes. They probably need to negotiate prices which could take time.

Remember that this isn't PD's fault.

I remember, I also remember that the prestige houses now have less selections then a access property..
Well we go to Contract on the 30th, hopefully they have it sorted by then. We will delay contract signing until a determination has been made.

Hi Humble
We are in a similar situation too. We have contract tomorrow but won’t be signing until we get what we want as there have been a few issues.

1. PD won’t give us a niche in our ensuite shower due to the fact we have a brick wall behind the shower. But we know it can be done by bringing out the frame work or putting a false wall. We only need the wall to come out another 90mm in order to cater for a niche and need to move the ensuite window along also.
2. We don’t like our facade. We had to compromise at tender with our chosen facade the Darlington because they said it was close to the Malvern Facade. But in looking at it very closely over the past week they are different and it’s not what we want. We are now wanting the Daintree Facade because we know this will work for us.
3. At colour selection we had to choose another brick (Buckwheat) only after two days notice that our brick was discontinued. A very nice brick but we are looking at having the Richmond brick instead(Red tone). We were told that we have up until contract to change our bricks but we have no idea if the Richmond is on PD list but it’s at Austral on display.

If we don’t get all of these we won’t be signing tomorrow. PD will say that the Facade and niche are structural and therefore we can’t change as per tender agreement but in our eyes we were pressured to choose something because we went into tender knowing we could get the Malvern Facade but during the tender we were told that we couldn't and the Darlington was the closests [Not]. Nothing has been ordered, nothing has been built, it’s only the drawings that needs to be re-done. When we're about to hand over $280K to PD we want to make sure we get what we want. So we are hoping that everything will be fine and we can proceed with the build.

On a happier note, we had tile selection yesterday. All went well. We chose polished porcelain tiles for the entry hall, laundry, ensuite, bathroom and powder room. We are going to do the entry hall as per the Waldorf in Williams Landing (diamond laid colours Wet Cement and Stratos Bianco). This was just over $1800 to do. We chose a cheaper porcelain tile to the one in the Waldorf but still looks very nice with similar colours. The rest will be done in Stratos Bianco. Total cost to tile all the rooms listed was just over $4000 which was an upgrade to our promo.

Wet Cement Polished Porcelain Tile

Stratos Bianco Polished Porcelin Tile

Austral Bricks Yarra Series Colour: Richmond

This took alot of cutting and pasting to do but here is an impression of what we like the Daintree to look like. May need some render in the middle window. I was just playing......This picture is with the discontinued 50mm Canterbury bricks though the Richmond bricks would go very well with this.

Comments welcomed....
Hey eli-kay123

Love to know if they let you change structural items such as the facade. Let you know of the outcome.
eli-kay123
Hi Humble
We are in a similar situation too. We have contract tomorrow but won’t be signing until we get what we want as there have been a few issues.

1. PD won’t give us a niche in our ensuite shower due to the fact we have a brick wall behind the shower. But we know it can be done by bringing out the frame work or putting a false wall. We only need the wall to come out another 90mm in order to cater for a niche and need to move the ensuite window along also.
2. We don’t like our facade. We had to compromise at tender with our chosen facade the Darlington because they said it was close to the Malvern Facade. But in looking at it very closely over the past week they are different and it’s not what we want. We are now wanting the Daintree Facade because we know this will work for us.
3. At colour selection we had to choose another brick (Buckwheat) only after two days notice that our brick was discontinued. A very nice brick but we are looking at having the Richmond brick instead(Red tone). We were told that we have up until contract to change our bricks but we have no idea if the Richmond is on PD list but it’s at Austral on display.
If we don’t get all of these we won’t be signing tomorrow. PD will say that the Facade and niche are structural and therefore we can’t change as per tender agreement but in our eyes we were pressured to choose something because we went into tender knowing we could get the Malvern Facade but during the tender we were told that we couldn't and the Darlington was the closests [Not]. Nothing has been ordered, nothing has been built, it’s only the drawings that needs to be re-done. When we're about to hand over $280K to PD we want to make sure we get what we want. So we are hoping that everything will be fine and we can proceed with the build.

Comments welcomed....

If you want a photo of a full house in Buckwheat let me know. My house is in that, but I couldn't find anything using it when we were looking at bricks
tstr1a
Hey eli-kay123

Love to know if they let you change structural items such as the facade. Let you know of the outcome.

No worries tstr1a, I will let you now how it goes. If it doesn't go our way.........we still have The Lexington with Henley as a fall back.
Twiggy
eli-kay123
Hi Humble

Comments welcomed....

If you want a photo of a full house in Buckwheat let me know. My house is in that, but I couldn't find anything using it when we were looking at bricks

Hi Twiggy,

Thanks for that. Would love to see a photo. We did look at two homes with the Buckwheat. My partner likes it but I found there isn't enough variation in the bricks for what we (I)
want and with the look of the Daintree facade I have mocked up (previous post) I'm not convinced it will work with the Buckwheat. Though when we chose the Buckwheat we had the Darlington facade picked. Certain colour bricks will suit certain facades.
humble
fingers crossed
Hi All
Its been a while, but yes we have finally moved in = thinking that we had all covered with all the checks and balances, we still have a lot of work to do but loving being here, we are still finding things which arent up to scratch but thats I suppose part and parcel of building, - so for all of you still building, the fun doesnt end once you are in - its just less stressful.

Examples of what you found? (might save some others including me)

We found that becausethe sliding door rales still had dirt in them we didnt see that they were actually scracthed, which I have emailed PD in advance as I dont want them saying that it was wear and tear, there is paint on the tiles in the corners, and that the tiles on the balcony are marked with cement and drout, when we had handover the tiles were wet and you couldnt see the marks again I have already emailed them this and pointed it out, the porch still has excess render on it and i have asked for this to be removed = 2 weeks in and they still havent come back, the draft under the front door is really noticebale and they have dealt with that which is great, there is grout marks on my kitchen cupboards which I thought was dust but alas its not and I dont know how to get it off, there are scracthes in the powder room and you only see this when you clean it yourself if not it looks like dust....

Get them to clean the house like you would have the house cleaned..
You would expect a new house to be given to you clean..... Building is all too hard.
Has anyone had scratched window frames and was refused by the builder to change or repair it?
fingers crossed
...the draft under the front door is really noticebale and they have dealt with that which is great....

May I ask how they resolved this?
Hi Mel, tstr1a & Karmaz,

Thanks for posting the details regarding the tapware of the powder room.

As tstr1a said if the name of the tapware no 1 is "Porcher Quatre Wall Top Assembly", no doubt I would get the No 3, as it says "Atlanta Wall top with Academy spout" in my colour document. Too bad as it is the standard tapware for the powder room, I did not verified after I received the colour document, as my colour consultant showed me No 1 & said you will be getting that as the standard, which I was really happy.

I have been verified 95% of the items in my colour document prior to signing the contract, but I have still missed this few things like these. I have upgraded the hot & cold taps to mixures in all other 3 wash rooms except the ones in powder room & the laundry.

I feel less stresful since this morning as finally my Pre-handover inspection & the PCI has been finalized, which will be held at the end of next week.

At the moment couple of things has to be placed prior to PCI such as: Front Render, Carpeting, Final paintting session, splashback & appliances.

The site has been cleaned & has removed the temporary fence & the garbage.

Hopefully, we would be able to move in at least by the 1st week of July......fingers crossed...........
Chorlton
fingers crossed
...the draft under the front door is really noticebale and they have dealt with that which is great....

May I ask how they resolved this?

they added wind sweeper... rubber strip
Tiled Skirtings in Bathroom / Ensuite ?

Hello All,

For all those who have already built (or are at least now completed the floor tiling stage) do you have tiled skirtings in the Bathrooms / Ensuites? If so, can I ask how the transition between the tiled skirtings and the normal timber skirtings was achieved?

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton
Chorlton

Hello All,

For all those who have already built (or are at least now completed the floor tiling stage) do you have tiled skirtings in the Bathrooms / Ensuites? If so, can I ask how the transition between the tiled skirtings and the normal timber skirtings was achieved?

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

Tiled skirting was included as part of our promo
Chorlton

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

We have it, but it wasn't included as standard. The tiled skirting starts at the door frame so there is no actual connection between the normal MDF skirting and the tiled skirting. The door frame separates the two.
tstr1a
Chorlton

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

Have you completed the tiling yet and if so, how did they transition from tiled to timber skirts?
Chorlton
tstr1a
Chorlton

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

Have you completed the tiling yet and if so, how did they transition from tiled to timber skirts?

I assuming that they will start the tiling from door jams/skirting.

What has happened in your situation?
joles
Chorlton

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

We have it, but it wasn't included as standard. The tiled skirting starts at the door frame so there is no actual connection between the normal MDF skirting and the tiled skirting. The door frame separates the two.

Thats a nice execution and would have been my first choice. Unfortunately, due to the layout of the home there is no door frame between Master Bed and Ensuite so I'm forced to have the transition half way along a wall which will not look that good.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum