Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 103 of 862
Bruno
Hi Humble,

We are building a prestige home with PD and we got flyscreens to all opening windows as part of the promotions. You may wnat to double check your promotions.

thanks

Different promo.

J & C

Fortunately for us we were able to get the pricing of most of our upgrades at before our tender so we had a number to build on. We feel PD can benefit much more if they can be more transparent with the pricing as most people might not adopt a conservative approach.

Has everyone on this blog been through this or did you manage to get all prices before the contract.

Look forward to your responses.

Cheers,

J & C

I am getting most of the prices along the way, and made it very clear PD are to supply as many prices as possible at tender. We are approaching this like a business transaction, so if there is any funny buggers we will pull out fairly quickly. Its open and honest or nothing. Simple.

Rups
Bruno..the latest promo doesn't have as much stuff as the one that ended in about feb/march (PD Complete)

Correct, instead they offer simplicity, and give 13k off the list price. Both offering a fairly good discount (simplicity deal for prestige is a page or so back) they are also doing all floor coverings for 2k (if you start in July, which is our provided date by PD)

Our electrical is going to be at least 5k.
Tiles unsure.
Everything else we either have a forum price or a sales pd price, so we are ok.

One thing we havent done yet is leveraged any 'deals' considering the housing market is a bit quite, we are hoping to leverage some of that. When working through the sales process, we were informed all deal leveraging should occur @ tender, that said for the most part, the price is typically the same but they might 'throw in' a few things.

Time will tell..
I am not sure about that flooring though...by the time you upgrade to something decent you might as well get it done yourself afterwards and it would still end up cheaper.

For us the complete promo worked out better as we had fixed site costs due to a house and land package.
Rups
Bruno..the latest promo doesn't have as much stuff as the one that ended in about feb/march (PD Complete)

One thing which is quite annoying is when we upgraded to wooden windows they were going to put on metal flyscreens

We ended up swapping these fly screens from the windows we upgraded (x7) for flyscreens for the stacker door in the rumpus. Doesn't seem like a good deal but its something at least. We now have to get wooden flyscreens for these windows.

Has anybody looked into those cavity flyscreens for bifolds?

I found this website regarding the bifolds flyscreens a bit too late. We're going to look into this as we might be able to retro fit it. http://www.canterburywindows.com.au/Win ... Doors.aspx
Rups
I am not sure about that flooring though...by the time you upgrade to something decent you might as well get it done yourself afterwards and it would still end up cheaper.

For us the complete promo worked out better as we had fixed site costs due to a house and land package.

Well this has been our internal argument..

Promo 2k.
Receive: Tiles to wet areas.. Carpet (cat1).. and Bolero Laminate floor (in a range of quite nasty colours - retails for $44sqm including underlaying - not installation)

We have about 110sqm of carpet, 68sqm of laminate/wood flooring, and some tiled areas. All of that costs more then 2k. (even on sale at carpet court) so we are in a bind. Do I take the base deal, knowing full well it will be underspec. But include some other things that would be better to be covered during install (upgrade bricks and some of the electrical?)

Its hit and miss. We have a House and Land as well, told there wasnt site costs, and then been quoted 15k (inc OHS) the simplicity promotion gives us 10k for site costs.. so I am a little confused, its one of them things we will address @ tender.
Hey MelNRob,
I found these ones by centor which are quite sturdy (we saw them at the home ideas show). They also have a type which has blockout which will eliminate getting blinds. I am torn whether the house will look unbalanced if we go for the block out type option. http://www.centor.com.au/screens
My worry is about these is they could be quite flimsy over a 5 leaf span. We only saw them over 4 leaf. I think having ones that join in the centre might be the best option.

----------

Humble what if you went with the flooring offer? If you really don't like it just change it after a couple of years. At least you wont have to outlay that cost now.
Rups
----------

Humble what if you went with the flooring offer? If you really don't like it just change it after a couple of years. At least you wont have to outlay that cost now.

Thats our current plan, the cat1 carpet appears pretty good, but we are doing a final run through everything this week. Its the wood flooring we have a massive problem with, but it may just have to do.
Humble, just a thought. We went with the basic carpet (cat 1) but upgraded the underlay. We were told it makes the carpet last much longer. I can vouch for the fact that it feels great underfoot, softer and much more "bounce".
karmaz
Humble, just a thought. We went with the basic carpet (cat 1) but upgraded the underlay. We were told it makes the carpet last much longer. I can vouch for the fact that it feels great underfoot, softer and much more "bounce".

Yup, that was our plan. Which cat underlay did you get? We are thinking cat4. How much did it cost, if you dont mind.

About $300 for the gold underlay in lieu of black underlay. Not too bad
karmaz

We also upgraded the underlay to the top (blue) for the whole carpeted area for the cost of $700 (30sq minus garage and tiled areas), well worth it for that extra squishy feeling underfoot....
Good price.
humble
Good price.

and worth it

took my shoes off when I walked through last week, sunk into it nicely
We too upgraded our underlay to the blue one. Cost us $732. 33sq home with carpet to all bedrooms, lounge, study, and rumpus.
Same here... can't remember what colour or cat we upgraded to, contract says Supreme Underlay, $510.

Another thing I thought of.... just posted about this in another thread so it reminded me. When we did selections, there was only those little nobs for wardrobe doors and I hated them.
We ended up deleting them and got dummy handles that match the handles on all the internal doors. I like it all to match. And I hate the nobs.
One thing I'm glad we did, was put in heating vents in the bathroom. Reduces shivering before showers, and after too. Didnt cost much at all. Things I wish we did, were more powerpoints. Still not enough.
We did that too Joles for our linen/broom cupboard $28. For the bedrooms we went for quick sliding doors to maximise space $198
joles
Same here... can't remember what colour or cat we upgraded to, contract says Supreme Underlay, $510.

Another thing I thought of.... just posted about this in another thread so it reminded me. When we did selections, there was only those little nobs for wardrobe doors and I hated them.
We ended up deleting them and got dummy handles that match the handles on all the internal doors. I like it all to match. And I hate the nobs.

Ohhhhh! I think that would look nice! Something i might get hubby to do!
You can order the handles at Bunnings. They don't stock them as standard stock, but if you got to the special orders desk they'll have a catalogue to look at and you can find the handle to match and order them.
Wow, is that all it costs to upgrade the underlay? See now, this is another way that PD are shooting themselves in the foot by being so cagey about their pricing, if I had known that was all it cost we would have upgraded for sure!

We decided to stick with the standard, I figured that since we have a young child and may have another baby we will probably be wanting to replace the carpet in the main traffic areas in ten years anyway and the bedrooms won't see so much traffic that they will need it.
Hi, thanks for all of your feedback regarding the PCI.

My SS said that the work would be able to complete in 3 weeks time hence we was ok with the scheduled date for the PCI..

I will fix the independent inspection prior to that as I can forward the defect list to my SS at the PCI.

Regarding the underlay, I have upgraded to Cat 4 & it costs me approximately $730.
This is excluding the tile areas in a 35 sqm house

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum