Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 92 of 862
Team PD
humble
Well we are full steam ahead now, bank has ok'd the loan unconditionally, spoke with the PD rep, and we should have the tender appointment sometime next week.

Guess it will be time to start a thread.

Hi Humble,

It's great to hear that your Tender Appointment should be this week. The forum is a great way to meet other people building in your estate, like flagstaffIV, and seeking advice and recommendations. Keep us updated with how you go and let me know if you have any questions in the future. Cheers, Jess

Yer, was ment to get a call to arrange a time on monday, its wednesday now though, and I am in NZ for work next week (bar monday) so its going to be interesting..

I am just rolling with it right now.. heh
puppyso
Hi SSAZ,

My CSA did tell me who my SS is but she didn't provide any details, just said that he'll call by the end of the week to introduce himself. It's been 1 1/2 weeks nothing yet.

Thank you for the info though, it's good to know

You can always call the office & ask them to put you through to the SS. They are normally in the office on Wednesday.
puppyso
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, when did your SS contact you to introduce himself?
Our base stage is nearly completed and we have yet to hear from him.

thanks

Never. We got sick of waiting and called him ourselves.
puppyso
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, when did your SS contact you to introduce himself?
Our base stage is nearly completed and we have yet to hear from him.

thanks

Hi Puppyso,

I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t been informed of your SS yet, could I suggest you contact your CSA who should be able to let you know. If you have any problems getting in contact with your CSA send me through a private message with your name, lot number and contact number, and I'll see what I can do to help you out. Regards, Jess
Just got told by our SS that a leaky porch doesnt constitute a design flaw. We have to upgrade to get it fixed. I've contacted Consumer Affairs who do not agree - complaint form is in the mail. I'd rather they just sorted it out, but it doesnt look like they want to. Disappointed.
karmaz
Just got told by our SS that a leaky porch doesnt constitute a design flaw. We have to upgrade to get it fixed. I've contacted Consumer Affairs who do not agree - complaint form is in the mail. I'd rather they just sorted it out, but it doesnt look like they want to. Disappointed.

Woweee..
karmaz

The first time I heard that a porch is supposed to be leaking. Disappointed in you PD!!!
In a nutshell what happened is: Chose the house, default plan showed a balcony/porch, had to upgrade (approx $1.9k) to actually get a porch as the default facade which goes with the default design didnt include a porch.
The balcony floor is the porch roof, if that makes sense. The floor is made of treated pine slats with gaps which are permeable. So on a chilly rainy day when you duck under the porch for cover you still get soaked as the water from the balcony comes straight through.
I'm told we'll have to pay another $2k to upgrade to tiles to get this sorted. I dont particularly care for tiles, just want a porch that is fit for purpose and doesnt leak. When one stands under a porch, you dont expect to be soaked, do you? Also, everyone knows what happens to pine/wood in the rain, how safe would that balcony be in a few years?
A friend of our who is a draftsman says the solution is simple, put cement sheets between the slats and run drainage out, but we are told we have to upgrade to tiles to get it fixed. Not impressed at the moment.
karmaz
In a nutshell what happened is: Chose the house, default plan showed a balcony/porch, had to upgrade (approx $1.9k) to actually get a porch as the default facade which goes with the default design didnt include a porch.
The balcony floor is the porch roof, if that makes sense. The floor is made of treated pine slats with gaps which are permeable. So on a chilly rainy day when you duck under the porch for cover you still get soaked as the water from the balcony comes straight through.
I'm told we'll have to pay another $2k to upgrade to tiles to get this sorted. I dont particularly care for tiles, just want a porch that is fit for purpose and doesnt leak. When one stands under a porch, you dont expect to be soaked, do you? Also, everyone knows what happens to pine/wood in the rain, how safe would that balcony be in a few years?
A friend of our who is a draftsman says the solution is simple, put cement sheets between the slats and run drainage out, but we are told we have to upgrade to tiles to get it fixed. Not impressed at the moment.

Do you have any pics to show us...

I feel your pain. You have a strong argument but I don’t understand why PD would build a house were the porch leaks. What’s the point of a porch then?
Karmaz,

I don't understand the issue. We almost built the Marina.... two choices, open wooden slat porch, or upgrade to solid porch. You choose to have an open slat porch... you must have realised rain would come through an open slat porch?
I guess I would expect to get soaked if I chose the option of having open slats above me.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you can be complaining about something that you chose not to upgrade.

And it won't rot, it will be treated wood, the same as what is used for decks. As long as it is maintained properly, there'll be no issue.
karmaz

Hi Karmaz,
I hear your disappointment with the issues relating to your leaky porch in your build and the advice you’ve been told by your SS. I am going to put you in contact with someone from the PD office who can discuss this with you in detail. I have your details so I'll get someone to contact you soon. I appreciate your patience. Regards, Jess
Hi Joles, points are:
1. The default house design included a porch, the default facade did not. $1.9k to get a porch we paid.
2. There was no 'choice' given to us of an open slat porch vs. a solid one. The plans showed treated pine, I'm fine with that. Even so, it wouldnt be too hard to think that the porch would have some kind of finish that stops water going through, will be the first to admit that we are no experts when it comes to engineering drawing and expect that builders take care of that. I've yet to stand under a leaky porch elsewhere and am not okay with a porch that is not fit for purpose and where we get soaked in the first instance. Why would I ask (and pay) for a porch then, if not for protection? We have painted the timber slats and oiled them as well, and in less than a month one slat is coming away. All I want is as I said, a cement sheet with drainage to make the area waterproof and provide shelter as a porch should.
BTW Consumer Affairs agrees.
Edited to add: Thanks Jess, am happy to resolve this with you first.
Well the blame ****** with your sales person, but you also have to take some responsibility.

We were clearly told that there was one price for a facade upgrade, and another price for a porch floor upgrade and this should have been clearly explained to you by your sales consultant.
But, by the same token, you were given plans, as all clients are..... the plans clearly demonstrate that the floor of the porch is wooden decking... you chose to sign off on those plans. (We got as far as seeing prelim plans for the Marina)

Yes, everything should be clearly explained.... but I fail to understand how anyone signs off on something that will cost them 200k, or 300k or 400k or whatever the cost may be and doesn't go over it with a fine tooth comb.... not 1 time, or 2 times, or 3 times.... but countless times. And then gets someone else to go over them, and then asks a million questions.

I do feel for your situation because you have not gotten what you expected, but clients have to take some responsibility for understanding what they are signing.
I went over the contract many times, Joles, but again please tell me how many porches you have stood under that leaked from above? This is one of the details that one expects a builder, (especially one with prestige) to ensure, else if I were an expert in engineering drawings and building, I would not need a builder.
My thoughts still are if the default house plan includes a porch, the default facade should include a porch to match. And a functional one at that.
karmaz
I went over the contract many times, Joles, but again please tell me how many porches you have stood under that leaked from above?

Where I previously lived had an open floored porch.
Thanks Joles, but still not good enough for me. Tstr1a, I've uploaded pics to my blog - shows how wet the area gets when it rains.
Hey karmaz,
Was just looking at your blog...house looks great.
BTW what did PD give you for your handover gift? There is a funny topic "What handover prezzie did you get?" and someone who built with PD said they got nothing, so I was suprised to see your gift.

Edit: Sorry just saw your post on the topic.....We already have BBQ stuff, hope they have changed it!
Rups
Hey karmaz,
Was just looking at your blog...house looks great.
BTW what did PD give you for your handover gift? There is a funny topic "What handover prezzie did you get?" and someone who built with PD said they got nothing, so I was suprised to see your gift.

Edit: Sorry just saw your post on the topic.....We already have BBQ stuff, hope they have changed it!

Hey there Rups!

I'm hanging out to see what we get in a few weeks!! It better be as nice as the gift we are getting for our CSC!! haha
Hi Rups, we are really happy with the house, the finish has been really good and everyone who visits loves it. Except when they get drenched under the porch - that's the only gripe we have. We got the BBQ set and a cook book, and gave CSC, her Manager and our SS bottles of wine.
Snoofie, you built Prestige, curious to see what you'll get!! Gold plated tongs you reckon?
karmaz
Hi Rups, we are really happy with the house, the finish has been really good and everyone who visits loves it. Except when they get drenched under the porch - that's the only gripe we have. We got the BBQ set and a cook book, and gave CSC, her Manager and our SS bottles of wine.
Snoofie, you built Prestige, curious to see what you'll get!! Gold plated tongs you reckon?

hahah you never know!! Kinda wish they'd spring for the wine fridge though!!!! LOL
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum