Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 861 of 862
Mak - I don’t understand how they can think stuff like that is actually acceptable!!

Update - hubby had a massive blew with our SS and put a complaint in. We are now dealing with his boss - a construction manager. Will see how that goes. Had someone here tonight who fixed one of our doors so I was happy about that. And half fixed the front door but we are still very unhappy with it (not this guys fault, he did his best). So we are going back to the CM tomorrow who will probably have to come out and have a look. For a front door we paid nearly $3k for (inc handle and lock) it is still very unacceptable.

Hubby was chatting with the carpenter and he basically told him their are so many not finished jobs after handover.

They hope you move in and give up once in. And honestly i can how it happens. Even I am like we should just sort this out ourselves to get it done right. Thankfully my husband won’t have a bar of that and will make them fix it!

Still waiting on the bench for my pantry 4 weeks post handover. Thankfully they called me today to arrange reinstallation now I have their name and number I can deal with them (asked SS for details but never got them).

I am loving our new house. The few outstanding things are annoying especially when we bought them to their attention months ago. And we already have list of things for our 3 month inspection (thankfully nothing major).
mak_
Wait until you start building, it’s even worse. If I don’t follow up an issue, I don’t hear from them but when I do it’s the same line “I’ll follow it up for you”

I have just sent a very direct email to my BC and I have taken to social media and tagged Porter davis homes with my issues

We are 6 weeks from contract end, we have had no issues or delays, we didn’t even get our flooring included with them
And we still have no PCI, mind you it’s a 30sq single we built

Tell me how this is our issue and we should pay to fix it
In what world is that acceptable? If they refuse to fix it, escalate it to Laminex or whoever their supplier is for laminates

Any success with PD on negotiating on developer requirements post contract?
We have been asked to upgrade a few exterior components to cat3 or 4 in-lieu of cat-1. Thanks in advance.
I had a friend over and they accidentally chipped our island bench?

Any recommendations on who we could call to repair it? We are in South East Melbourne.

Bugger, that's a big risk with undermount sinks...

Try ringing Caesarstone or whoever the manufacturer is...

Hi all
There is a new Christmas story released on the blog
Discusses expectation verses reality and also uncovers a little known truth about PD trades.

Happy reading

https://forsyth35.com/2018/11/25/the-gr ... %E2%80%8B/
Hi everyone,

We had our pci for our Madison 45 this past Monday.

We upgraded our stairs to traditional 5, as we loved the stairs at the display in point cook (which recently closed).

The stairs were painted and stained last because of the amount of foot traffic worry with trades, which is completely fair.

However...they weren't stained to a high gloss like every single display we visited with those stairs.

Looks like a basic sealer was applied only.

Very surprising, and also very disappointing, which is why I'm recording it here. Apparently this is normal...except of course for their displays. Grrrr

Arh yes, the displays. Where you see things you like but they seem so hard to actually get into your build!

I had a phone call from the PD Construction Manager today (our SS boss) and he is coming out to have a look at our front door and its never ending problems. Honestly I'm just happy someone other than our SS is looking at it as surely they will see it doesn't function as it should, instead of giving me stories of that is how they just work......Fingers crossed. He called and is coming out this afternoon.
The one thing that did start getting old on me were the excuses. They were so practiced and polished. Always had an answer for every single little thing.

I'm going to polyurethane the stairs myself before we move in.

Anyone been to the coco republic sales at the displays? Worth going?

What are the prices like?

fademan
Anyone been to the coco republic sales at the displays? Worth going?

What are the prices like?

I went to one of their up to 70% off warehouse sales and the prices were still out of my price range. Although having said that I have since purchased two pendant lights and dining chairs from them. But those items were comparable to most other stores selling similar. I’ve not been to a sale at a display home though.

Question for those who have built. We are past paint and just done tiles, but I have found HEAPS of issues that I would have thought would have been fixed earlier:

1 Alfresco slab too short - hebel pillars sit off slab,
2 Porch fall towards door
3 Garage fall towards internal door
4 Garage opening not vertically level
5 Power meter box hanging out on an angle
6 Pretty sure only 2 coats of paint done not 3
7 Kitchen splash back window dips in the middle
8 Shower outlets in centre of wall however they are rail showers so I’d have thought the rail would go in the middle
9 En-suite shower brick lay wall tile doesn’t line up
10 En-suite floor has been tiled from back to door, however a wall mustn’t be straight as it ends on an angle
11 Various cornices and arcs not straight
12 One window not square, as the tiles immediate above it cut on an angle
13 Various gutters on top floor damaged and not replaced

Has anyone else had similar issues left this late? Do they end up getting fixed as some really inefficient way of doing things, or left for me to bring up? I have a feeling it is going to be left until PCI, but I don’t know why given they know darbecca will be coming through

I’m trying not to micromanage but I’m getting pretty anxious about it! Any experiences from anyone here?
shane3340
Question for those who have built. We are past paint and just done tiles, but I have found HEAPS of issues that I would have thought would have been fixed earlier:

8 Shower outlets in centre of wall however they are rail showers so I’d have thought the rail would go in the middle
10 En-suite floor has been tiled from back to door, however a wall mustn’t be straight as it ends on an angle

Has anyone else had similar issues left this late? Do they end up getting fixed as some really inefficient way of doing things, or left for me to bring up? I have a feeling it is going to be left until PCI, but I don’t know why given they know darbecca will be coming through

I’m trying not to micromanage but I’m getting pretty anxious about it! Any experiences from anyone here?

Bring up everything with your site supervisor ASAP and if possible book a private inspector to check everything against the building code.

shane3340

Hey Shane.

We've also just had paint and tiling and sounds like we've had similar issues to you with our Rochedale 33 build.

It took a post to the PD Discussion Group and messages to the CEO to get the action we were after....

Good luck!
Shane,

We had our herringbone tiles on our ensuite walls not straight at the ceiling. The ceiling was out of level and given it is square set it should have been laser levelled. Our SS had the ceiling taken down, straightened and the damage fixed.

Ask to have a walkthrough of the house with your SS. We did this with our SS every couple of months. Bring up what you have found as you walk around and hopefully he will address them for you.

Good Luck.
My recomendation is to have everything bullet pionted and in writing so there is a record of the concern plus any follow up items.

Its unfortunatly not good enough to say that a slab falls to the house or is to short.

Needs to be the fall in the slab from rear to front is 5mm over 2m towards the house.

And

The slab in a north south direction on the eastern parameter is 1054mm which is 6mm below the 1060mm on drawing 17 of the contract.

Look up victorian building tolerences as all builders must be below this.

Please find link.

https://s.amsu.ng/vZjHOIAbTajN

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but have so many questions... First of all we are in the final contract stages and are waiting to sign our contract - waiting on amendments from BC, as you all might know they take so much time!!!!

We are now curious to understand whom to go for building surveyor or building inspectors.. I know some of you have gone with Darbecca, what is the feedback? anyone else whom we should consider?

Thanks,
Anu
Anyone’s else have corrosion issues on their colourbond roof and down pipes?
Charly6s
Fongeo
Hi,

We are looking at building the Astor 49 with Porter Davis. It is a pretty new plan and not sure if anyone is building it in this forum. We had asked for a few changes in our ground floor and thought will share this with the wider community to get some feedback.

We have removed the lounge and made it into a guest bed and made the study smaller.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

G

Hi G

It's a great plan, I like your changes to the guest suite.
Had you thought about adding a window to your galley, lets in light and out the smell of burnt toast.
Also changing the window in front of the kitchen sink to a bi-fold so that you can create a servery?
I personally like my pantry to have a door on it, that way it stays dark and cool.
Also, don't forget to put a nech in the shower, it doesn't cost that much and looks so much better.
Lastly, get a costing to upgrade the hight and width of your alfresco doors, if you keep the standard style (not boutique) and just get it taller (2250mm) and wider it doesn't cost that much more,
also, ask for fly screens on the alfresco doors, they are surprised cheep through PD.

So much you can spend extra money on! If you get it put on the plan and into the quote now, you can always take it out later at no charge.

All the best.
C.

Hi Charly,

We are pretty impressed with Astor 49 and we are planning to build this house. I love your ideas and I assume you’re building this house too? When you say windows in the galley, are these sliding windows? Did you make some changes in your kitchen too? If you don’t mind, can you post some photos of the outcome of your pantry with the door, window in the galley, kitchen where the cooktop is, island bench, sink, the family room where the big windows are and lastly your staircase? Just want to have an idea on what changes should I do before we sign the contract. Thanks!
i would like to chime in here 2 years on today nearly we moved into our new waldorf 48 we had a multitude of problems longer than my arm, so much stuff went wrong during the build and it took a year to get all of my maintenance issues sorted, however porter davis were always really good to work with fixed everything i complained about and more that....stuff they didnt have too. took patience but they did get it all done and was annoying having to wait but again in turn they realised the mucking around and actually either reimbursed us in full for some stuff (like i have a small amount of paint splash on the stairs so we chose to leave it and porter davis paid us a nice amount to not have to re stain etc) they damaged our garage floor during the build and instead of just fixing it they paid nearly 10k to have a special topping and coating of our choice over the whole triple garage (at our request) i found them pretty good and reasonable if not a bit slow. i know its annoying but hang in there, we love our new home and havent had any issues at all with it since we finally got rid of the maintenance guys lol.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum