Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 831 of 862
Our temp fence has been removed. We don’t even have a date for PCI yet. Is it normal to remove it so soon? They are hoping to do PCI next week some time.

nikil
Our temp fence has been removed. We don’t even have a date for PCI yet. Is it normal to remove it so soon? They are hoping to do PCI next week some time.

Ours came down a week or two before PCI as well.

Hurrow
nikil

Ours came down a week or two before PCI as well.

Ok, wasn’t sure it was a bit strange, house seems so open without it.

Has anyone else found when measuring their windows for blinds that the distances are off by a few cm compared to the spec on the PD plans? All my 2400mm windows are actually about 2365 to 2370 from one end of the recess to the other, similarly most of the 1800mm are about 1770mm or so. Is this to be expected?

Brucefil I think you were getting your blinds from blinds online, did you find this to be the case as well?
Hurrow
Has anyone else found when measuring their windows for blinds that the distances are off by a few cm compared to the spec on the PD plans? All my 2400mm windows are actually about 2365 to 2370 from one end of the recess to the other, similarly most of the 1800mm are about 1770mm or so. Is this to be expected?

Brucefil I think you were getting your blinds from blinds online, did you find this to be the case as well?

Mine were the complete opposite, length they were correct but width my measurements were about 5cm more haha
Hurrow

That's completely normal. To give you an example the windows in my lounge room are 20-09A, which stands for 2000mm high x 900mm wide - awning style.

The product number from the manufacturer is AA-2009, however the actual window size as per the specifications is 2067mm x 850mm.
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question. Frame stage complete now, invoice on it's way. What's the normal timeframe for lockup stage? 40sq double storey. I know delays happen, just curious on the norm.

Edit: Frame stage took 3.5 weeks.
Yes mine were all different from the PD plans. Out by 5-10mm.

Overall each window dimention only changed 2-3mm in either dimention.

I purchased a laser measure and followed the instructions on blinds online for each blind type using the shortest measurement as the one I supplied.
brucefil2011
World_Of_Waldorf
Waldorf_Grange_Build
[quote="brucefil2011"][quote="Waldorf_Grange_Build"]Got a call from our fencing company this morning. We are days away from handover and apparently our neighbour with the vacant lot next door has refused to pay half for a new fence between our blocks. The reasoning is that they plan to sell the block later in the year and they say we can recoup the costs from the new owners of the block.

Gotta hate tight arses

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com

Yep. We were approached last year from our neighbour on the other side who moved in before Christmas. He needed a fence and of course we agreed. I went above and beyond and arranged the quotes. If you plan to live next to these people you want to have a good relationship.

I approached our neighbor to go halves for the old fence between us...She says since we are doing KDR, its our responsibility to pay the full amount for the fence
. When i asked is that as per the rule book, she bluntly said yes. I came back home, did some googling but didnt find anything like that... but what i found in whirlpool and other forums that, if they dont want to pay, they would ignore your quotes, mails etc and not respond for days which would drive you nuts... some suggested its not worth chasing the neighbor with legal action considering the legal process related hassles and peace of mind.. At this point i am not sure what would be my future action, but i think i would give it another try in a more peaceful way...[/quote] Dont worry to much about the legal route to go to vcat costs about $200 and 2 hours of your time. Follow the process and dont let this tight arse get away with it as they have NO SHAME saying that to you.

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com[/quote]

Oh that’s good to know about the costs. Thanks.

brucefil2011
Skcel
Hurrow

Mine were the complete opposite, length they were correct but width my measurements were about 5cm more haha

see more at

Ok, mine are all out by about 3 cm or so but it sounds like that is pretty normal. I'm very glad we didn't just order blinds online off the PD spec!
Hurrow
brucefil2011

see more at

Ok, mine are all out by about 3 cm or so but it sounds like that is pretty normal. I'm very glad we didn't just order blinds online off the PD spec!

Yes you shouldn't order blinds based off the measurements on the plans, as they are structural measurements including the window frame. If internal dimensions are 2-3mm out, that won't make a difference. Blinds are always made slightly smaller to allow for manufacturer variations. You will find MOST blinds are already made to order because the majority of windows are a standardised size.
lilbza
Hurrow
brucefil2011

see more at

Yes you shouldn't order blinds based off the measurements on the plans, as they are structural measurements including the window frame. If internal dimensions are 2-3mm out, that won't make a difference. Blinds are always made slightly smaller to allow for manufacturer variations. You will find MOST blinds are already made to order because the majority of windows are a standardised size.

I assumed that they would be a standard size, but all of mine seem to be out by a few cm vs the standard 300mm intervals. I'm just worried that I've measured it wrong and will be ordering a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit properly.
On our way to meet our site supervisor. Hopefully today he lets us know our handover date. Fingers crossed.

Hurrow
lilbza
Hurrow
[quote="brucefil2011"]Yes mine were all different from the PD plans. Out by 5-10mm.

see more at

I assumed that they would be a standard size, but all of mine seem to be out by a few cm vs the standard 300mm intervals. I'm just worried that I've measured it wrong and will be ordering a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit properly.[/quote]Im just at A & L windows ordering fly screens and the sizes are odd so I asked the sales guy. The window sizes are based on multiple of brick sizes thats why there strange. Makes sense.

see more at
Another busy day concrete polishers are frustrated that porter davis have left so much paint on the floor.

More on the blog.

see more at
Hurrow
We had our PCI yesterday which went ok but not as smoothly as we'd hoped. The PD inspector and the Darbecca inspector had both been through the day before, apparently PD passed it but Darbecca had plenty of issues of varying degrees.

We talked through the Darbecca report, some of the stuff was issues that we'd talked about previously and decided we were ok with, some were things that were always going to get addressed post PCI, and some were new.

We've got some external doors that need to get to BAL standard, scratches on window frames, a garage that has a slope backwards, a shower niche that slopes inwards rather than outwards, some gaps in the al fresco roof, window frames that haven't been sealed properly, tiles in the showers that haven't been sealed off at the top, doors that are sticking, glass windows that need replacing, and a bunch of paint marks and general cleaning or tidying up that needs to be done.

So the good news is that structurally everything is fine, but there are a fair amount of other issues to address. We were hoping to have handover two weeks after PCI but our SS said he'd have to check to see now, I think having to redo the shower niche could be the issue as it'll need to be re waterproofed, re tiled etc.

Hopefully we'll get an update today on a handover date and we can start getting ready to move!

We got our update, unfortunately we're now looking at 4 weeks rather than 2 from PCI to handover, so it'll be the first week of April before we get the keys.
You can catch an update on day 3 after handover on my blog. Thanks to you all as the blog has now had over 1,000 visitors and just under 7,500 page views.

I was inspired by the few blogs out there prior to our build I hope the blog plus feedback on this forum can help others through the process.

Thanks to all for your feebback and suggestions.

And see below as I have now bled for our build.

see more at
Laura Ireland
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question. Frame stage complete now, invoice on it's way. What's the normal timeframe for lockup stage? 40sq double storey. I know delays happen, just curious on the norm.

Hey Laura, was it 3.5 weeks from site scrape to frame up, or 3.5 to complete the frame stage? Did that include roof trusses too? I am due to have my slab poured on Tuesday and apparently have the framing start in about 2 weeks.
MikW
Laura Ireland
Hey everyone,

Hey Laura, was it 3.5 weeks from site scrape to frame up, or 3.5 to complete the frame stage? Did that include roof trusses too? I am due to have my slab poured on Tuesday and apparently have the framing start in about 2 weeks.
Our slab was poured and the next friday they were cutting sticks and a 2 storey house was framed by the next friday including roof trusses. (Exclding the garage as the charge for framing stage doesnt include the garage)

see more at
It was 3.5 weeks from the day the slab was poured.

Framing included roof trusses and all frame except garage. No windows or wrapping or anything. Windows upstairs get stated next week and roof. Then scaffolding will come down and they do windows downstairs.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum