Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 808 of 862
lilbza
aplaceforeverything
Hi everyone,
I've posted this in the Madison thread but will ask here as well.

At a recent WoS visit the kitchen consultant was very, very clear with us that if we wanted any profile on our kitchen doors at all then we needed to go for Colourtech. As we wanted a Shaker profile we accepted we'd need a Colourtech upgrade.

However in the Madison thread I read that someone was installing Colonial profile in Laminate in their galley to match the Colonial Colourtech in their main kitchen.

Have we been led up the garden path??

Thank you in confusion,
Rachel

I'll tell you of my experience. You can get the profiled doors in whats called Formwrap, which is a vinyl product, rather than laminate. See brochure here - http://www.laminex.com.au/uploads/broch ... ochure.pdf

Porter Davis have it at WOS as a Category 6 upgrade, and the Colourtech as Category 5. I asked for pricing on both and asked what was cheaper. Both consultants told me Colourtech was cheaper, as the Formwrap is a "newer product". I knew that was BS as 2pack painting cabinets is more labour intensive. I think they want to push people into getting the more expensive Colourtech cabinetry.

I went outside and called Laminex directly and asked them for the cost on a standard 900x450 profiled kitchen cabinet door was in both the Colourtech and Formwrap. From memory, colourtech was $180ish and formwrap was about $120ish.

If you ring laminex, they can email you this really cool PDF document where you input the measures and quantity of all your doors and if calculates the price of it up. I did this before our WOS appointment which is why I decided to do all our bathrooms doors/drawer after handover. We got PD to price it up for us, and the markup was ridiculous. So we are getting them to just put the standard included laminex doors on, and we will change them afterwards.

The price difference for the 4 bathrooms and powder room was around $3500 from memory. To change them after handover will take me a few hours at most.

Wow I wish I knew all this earlier. The colourtech was the most expensive upgrade in our whole house

aplaceforeverything
lilbza
aplaceforeverything
Hi everyone,

At a recent WoS visit the kitchen consultant was very, very clear with us that if we wanted any profile on our kitchen doors at all then we needed to go for Colourtech. As we wanted a Shaker profile we accepted we'd need a Colourtech upgrade.

However in the Madison thread I read that someone was installing Colonial profile in Laminate in their galley to match the Colonial Colourtech in their main kitchen.

Thank you in confusion,
Rachel

I'll tell you of my experience. You can get the profiled doors in whats called Formwrap, which is a vinyl product, rather than laminate. See brochure here - http://www.laminex.com.au/uploads/broch ... ochure.pdf

Porter Davis have it at WOS as a Category 6 upgrade, and the Colourtech as Category 5. I asked for pricing on both and asked what was cheaper. Both consultants told me Colourtech was cheaper, as the Formwrap is a "newer product". I knew that was BS as 2pack painting cabinets is more labour intensive. I think they want to push people into getting the more expensive Colourtech cabinetry.

I went outside and called Laminex directly and asked them for the cost on a standard 900x450 profiled kitchen cabinet door was in both the Colourtech and Formwrap. From memory, colourtech was $180ish and formwrap was about $120ish.

If you ring laminex, they can email you this really cool PDF document where you input the measures and quantity of all your doors and if calculates the price of it up. I did this before our WOS appointment which is why I decided to do all our bathrooms doors/drawer after handover. We got PD to price it up for us, and the markup was ridiculous. So we are getting them to just put the standard included laminex doors on, and we will change them afterwards.

The price difference for the 4 bathrooms and powder room was around $3500 from memory. To change them after handover will take me a few hours at most.

Wow! That's a huge saving. Plus you could sell your standard inclusion doors.
Did you get your kitchen done by PD?

We did, but not all of it. The sides and backend of the island bench we just gone flat panels and will be changing them to profiled panels after handover.

There's more info over on my build thread about what we are doing with our kitchen - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=90808

It's a bit of a read, but I like to include as much info as possible so that it may help someone else.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
lilbza
aplaceforeverything
Hi everyone,

Thank you in confusion,
Rachel

Wow I wish I knew all this earlier. The colourtech was the most expensive upgrade in our whole house

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to research and making sure I'm not being taken for ride haha.

EDIT: I should add, I've built before and reno'd twice, so I'm pretty familiar with costings.
nikil

Render complete today, if only it was in our budget to do the whole house!

Getting there Nikil! You seem to have pretty much the same facade (Riva?) as us, although on a different floor plan I guess.
lilbza

We did, but not all of it. The sides and backend of the island bench we just gone flat panels and will be changing them to profiled panels after handover.

There's more info over on my build thread about what we are doing with our kitchen - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=90808

It's a bit of a read, but I like to include as much info as possible so that it may help someone else.

That's fantastic info - thanks very much for sharing it. The Laminex catalogue looks great and as we are on a budget, we may well do this. I'm off to follow your Insta and check out the Laminex online tool you mentioned now!
aplaceforeverything
lilbza

That's fanrtastic info - thanks very much for sharing it. The Laminex catalogue looks great and as we are on a budget, we may well do this. I'm off to follow your Insta and check out the Laminex online tool you mentioned now!

Oh haha, I am already following you on Insta! I am BuildingOurBurrowInBlackburn.
aplaceforeverything
aplaceforeverything
lilbza

That's fanrtastic info - thanks very much for sharing it. The Laminex catalogue looks great and as we are on a budget, we may well do this. I'm off to follow your Insta and check out the Laminex online tool you mentioned now!

Oh haha, I am already following you on Insta! I am BuildingOurBurrowInBlackburn.

No worries

My wife looks after our instagram blog, so I've just got her to follow back. Looking forward to following your build.
aplaceforeverything
World_Of_Waldorf
Charly6s
Hi Team

I have published another new blog last night, this one is about the planning and preparation for World of Style. It has copies of the preparation guides PD used to give out, a few handy hints and our experience during the process. Along with pricing on Crystal Wardrobes by Porter Davis.

https://forsyth35blog.wordpress.com/201 ... /the-7-ps/

Don't forget to follow the blog to receive email updates on new posts. The link is at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

Happy reading
Charlotte

Amazing blog Charlotte. I am in office with loads of work but cant stop reading your blog. Very addictive

Ha, me too. Great info!! We will need to go as simple as possible to stick to budget but I’m really learning a lot from your organisation and upgrades. Thanks for sharing!

Hi charly6s, I've sent you a PM
lilbza
Waldorf_Grange_Build
lilbza

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to research and making sure I'm not being taken for ride haha.

EDIT: I should add, I've built before and reno'd twice, so I'm pretty familiar with costings.

Wow wish I had known about Formwrap as well. No one ever mentioned it to us.

We asked at WOS about laminate on a profile and even showed them the Home one page where someone had done it - must have been you (if you were the one that posted your Kitchen Culture drawings - they were very helpful by the way.) Anyway, the sales guy said no and that whoever let the person do it was wrong and it would have been changed before they got to contract, it simply was not an option

Goes to show - you can ask till your blue in the face and still be told the wrong thing.
C.
A while back I asked advice about different shades of render on our house. Today we went to the property to see they have finally rendered the rear of the house. They started the side in August. Here is where the two sides meet.

Both Timeless Grey but clearly different batches. Would you ask them go go over the old render (on the right) if this was your house? Our PCI is scheduled for Feb 2

Hi Team

I updated the blog today with a bit about the carpet we chose and the price we paid, it also has some Porter Davis Carpet prices noted.

https://forsyth35blog.wordpress.com/201 ... ed-carpet/

C.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
A while back I asked advice about different shades of render on our house. Today we went to the property to see they have finally rendered the rear of the house. They started the side in August. Here is where the two sides meet.

Both Timeless Grey but clearly different batches. Would you ask them go go over the old render (on the right) if this was your house? Our PCI is scheduled for Feb 2

I would - one is pink and one is grey. Kick up a stink and get them to do it right or it will bother you every time you look at it. I was told that normal houses with Hebel get two coats of paint. PD's display homes get painted 8 times a sales guy told me.
Waldorf_Grange_Build

I would definitely at least be asking the question. If they say no then you can decide how much you want to fight them and go over the contract, but there is definitely no harm in asking particularly given you still have a little bit of time to go, certainly enough to get a renderer back in.
Charly6s
Hi Team

I updated the blog today with a bit about the carpet we chose and the price we paid, it also has some Porter Davis Carpet prices noted.

C.

Nice writeup, thanks for that! The price jumps between categories for PD aren't as bad as I thought they might have been.

We got all of our carpet done through PD, didn't even realise it was an option to have it done ourselves. TBH though we still would have done it through PD though as we don't want to be stuffing around with having to get more things done after the build.
Im so concerned about this on my house as there doing it the same way.

Its clearly not acceptable.

Going to what you can use in the victorian building authority guide to syandards and tolerences 2015(which builders must build to) it clearly states that surfaces must match. Sec 9.03.

Hope this helps.

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com
Charly6s
Hi Team

I don't think there has been a more thoroughly well-researched house in the history of building Charly!! Your commitment to understanding everything is admirable.
(And sadly I think we are getting that square-shaped crap carpet you warned against .... it's 'free' and we expect our two human rugrats and three fur rugrats to wreck it stat so that's ok!!).
Couldnt agree more, the plethora of information provided in Charly's blog is highly commended. I am sure this would help many people who are in the process of building or renovating. Keep up the good work.
I'm hanging out for her next blog post. No pressure haha. Its a fabulous resource.
World_Of_Waldorf
Couldnt agree more, the plethora of information provided in Charly's blog is highly commended. I am sure this would help many people who are in the process of building or renovating. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words guys!!!! Comments like this keep me going
(You may be relieved to hear I cross-checked your forbidden square-shaped carpet against our selection, and ours is not as indented or square. I mean it’s still total crap but it’s not your forbidden total crap hahahaha!)
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum