Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 796 of 862
brucefil2011
Hurrow
You wonder what happens for people who don't live near their builds and can't visit during the process? Do they just rock up at handover and find out that the cupboards are wrong, stuff is in the wrong place, colours are wrong etc?

Agreed the only way to make sire you get what you paid for is to check everything yourself as you can be sure PD are not checking in great detail given a SS is managing 30-60 houses at one time and everyone else working on your house is a subby and doesnt work for PD. There also a subby that has has thier price screwed down so much they cant cost into the job time to check stuff

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com

I wonder if they do any sort of cost/benefit analysis on how many houses a SS is managing? Given the wastage and extra delays every time something gets stuffed up would they be better off having a SS manage 30 houses rather than 50? They'd presumably have to hire more supervisors but if it saves them a lot of money on each house then they'd be better off financially and have a less stressed workforce.
Hurrow
brucefil2011
Hurrow
You wonder what happens for people who don't live near their builds and can't visit during the process? Do they just rock up at handover and find out that the cupboards are wrong, stuff is in the wrong place, colours are wrong etc?

Agreed the only way to make sire you get what you paid for is to check everything yourself as you can be sure PD are not checking in great detail given a SS is managing 30-60 houses at one time and everyone else working on your house is a subby and doesnt work for PD. There also a subby that has has thier price screwed down so much they cant cost into the job time to check stuff

see more at

I wonder if they do any sort of cost/benefit analysis on how many houses a SS is managing? Given the wastage and extra delays every time something gets stuffed up would they be better off having a SS manage 30 houses rather than 50? They'd presumably have to hire more supervisors but if it saves them a lot of money on each house then they'd be better off financially and have a less stressed workforce.

Our SS has only got 16 houses, and still he doesn’t have time to return my calls or send us updates!

Hurrow
brucefil2011
Hurrow

see more at

All subbies are pn a cost/house in this way they push the rework cost onto the subbies

see more at
Well today is the day that our contract is up. And we are still not in the house. Went out there today to have a look. Not much has happened in the past week. I guess all the tradies are starting to wind down as it approaches Christmas.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Well today is the day that our contract is up. And we are still not in the house. Went out there today to have a look. Not much has happened in the past week. I guess all the tradies are starting to wind down as it approaches Christmas.

Any word from PD on when you are likely to be in WGB? I guess at least they have to start paying you for delays which might focus them on getting it finished for you sometime soon.

We've been told the tradies will be around for another week and a half or so, maybe even longer.
Hurrow
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Any word from PD on when you are likely to be in WGB? I guess at least they have to start paying you for delays which might focus them on getting it finished for you sometime soon.

We've been told the tradies will be around for another week and a half or so, maybe even longer.

A while back my site supervisor said maybe end of Jan. We will get Darbecca in one last time and then they will need to fix the defects. As I walked around the house today I could see so many things damaged. I can't even see us moving in Feb to be honest. Also I don't think they pay us until after we have paid the final invoice. So we will continue paying two mortgages until it is finished.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Hurrow

A while back my site supervisor said maybe end of Jan. We will get Darbecca in one last time and then they will need to fix the defects. As I walked around the house today I could see so many things damaged. I can't even see us moving in Feb to be honest. Also I don't think they pay us until after we have paid the final invoice. So we will continue paying two mortgages until it is finished.

I presume you've told the SS about all the damaged stuff that needs fixing already, hopefully they start work on it soon rather than waiting until PCI.

I think a lot of the adjustments get made at the final invoice where all the PCVs get netted out with whatever they owe you. It presumably simplifies things a lot but would be annoying.
Hmmm.hmm...we had upgraded to one of those clean looking back to wall (not in-wall) toilet cisterns for all of our powder rooms. If anyone has this installed, can you pls share a picture of how the tap water connection from your wall goes into the cistern? I noticed yesterday that the tap is installed way too high, and looks like it will be concealed behind/inside the cistern. I wanted to install a bidet seat in the future, but can’t figure out if there will be enough space to install a T-junction on the water tap.

Hurrow
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Hurrow

I presume you've told the SS about all the damaged stuff that needs fixing already, hopefully they start work on it soon rather than waiting until PCI.

I think a lot of the adjustments get made at the final invoice where all the PCVs get netted out with whatever they owe you. It presumably simplifies things a lot but would be annoying.

Yes we sent the itemised list of defects we've noticed so far to our Site Supervisor and Building Co-ordinator. The BC wrote back that the SS would take a look at those so they have been made aware. No communication yet as to the plans to rectify them or a proposed timeline etc.
Hurrow
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Hurrow

Also we have already been issued with the final invoice to be paid by bank cheque on day we get the keys. I don't think they have plans to deduct what they owe us from that. I think they plan to pay us back after we've paid the invoice. Anyone else had experience with this?
Hi...has anyone gone with a 3m ceiling with PD? If so, how much did it cost?

sinbox
Hmmm.hmm...we had upgraded to one of those clean looking back to wall (not in-wall) toilet cisterns for all of our powder rooms. If anyone has this installed, can you pls share a picture of how the tap water connection from your wall goes into the cistern? I noticed yesterday that the tap is installed way too high, and looks like it will be concealed behind/inside the cistern. I wanted to install a bidet seat in the future, but can’t figure out if there will be enough space to install a T-junction on the water tap.

Wanted an answer for this as well. Thought will check at WOS. I think the answer depends on the type of toilet cistern. If it covers the water point then not too sure how to access it to put a T in future.

Plasterer working frantically away as painting starts tommorow

see more at
sinbox

Its directly behind, we have the same toilets please have a look at the plumbing rough in from our powder room.

see more at
brucefil2011
sinbox

Its directly behind, we have the same toilets please have a look at the plumbing rough in from our powder room.

see more at

Thanks for sharing...If your toilet is leaking, how do you cut off the water supply?

sinbox
brucefil2011
sinbox

see more at

Thanks for sharing...If your toilet is leaking, how do you cut off the water supply?

I don't know? Thw toilets should be installed in about 4 weeks ill take a pic and share it with you

see more at
sinbox
brucefil2011
sinbox

see more at

one thing I do know is that is one option I'm not changing as it was the number one change my wife made to the house. As she says it's a non negotiable

see more at
tlblhayward
Looking forward to (hopefully) getting our keys today...

Best Christmas present ever!
The house looks like a crime scene ready for painting

see more at
Tips
Hi...has anyone gone with a 3m ceiling with PD? If so, how much did it cost?

anyone?
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum