Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 783 of 862
sinbox
Thanks for the pic & details again...their excuse is that there is no timber frame to hold plasterboard on to as it is a single brick wall with columns as a supporting structure. They have agreed to render the inside wall in the same color as the other walls, but I’m not this would end up looking...

Seems most volume builders have no idea of construction options beyond their standard product..

Plasterboard can most definitely be fixed to a brick wall - either directly or by using battens or other fixing channels depending on the condition of the wall.

If the columns are double brick depth, then timber framework can easily be inserted between the columns to provide adequate backing.
sinbox
Hi Everyone, Quick question - PD are building a portion of my garage in brick even tough the entire house is being built in Hebel. This brick wall is on the garage boundary and will be rendered externally.

My question - esp for those building with Hebel, what does the internal wall of your garage look like? Is left with standard brickwork, or is it rendered on the inside as well, or is there plasterboard on the inside?

I'd have assumed that there is plasterboard on the inside, as the ceiling and other wall has plasterboard on it, but the site supervisor seemed to think that it would just be brickwork on the inside wall.
this is what my internal wall looks like. no hebel where as the rest of the house is hebel. It will be plasterboard I assume as it has insulation wrap on it

see more at hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com
Our electrical rough in complete. Took 3 days for 2 stories.
Now just data cabling then on with insulation and plaster.

Emailed PD some items from frame inspection to be finalised last night I'm impressed to get an email from my SS this morning letting me know that it will be sorted out tomorrow. Very responsive

brucefil2011
Emailed PD some items from frame inspection to be finalised last night I'm impressed to get an email from my SS this morning letting me know that it will be sorted out tomorrow. Very responsive

Just ensure they all get rectified. We get a positive response every time we forward a report but not all of the defects actually get rectified.

- View my blog at www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
Waldorf_Grange_Build
brucefil2011

Just ensure they all get rectified. We get a positive response every time we forward a report but not all of the defects actually get rectified.

- View my blog at http://www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com

What do you do when the defect doesn't get rectified? Is an agreement reached between you and PD that it's not necessary, or they don't do it and you just have to suck it up?
Hurrow
Waldorf_Grange_Build
brucefil2011

What do you do when the defect doesn't get rectified? Is an agreement reached between you and PD that it's not necessary, or they don't do it and you just have to suck it up?
a defect is to contract drawings specs and building codes. So opinions dont matter. That doesn't mean that inspectors even your own sometimes my misread something and call something a defect when it's not it's the responsibility of the Builder either fix a defect or reply in writing as to why they don't consider the items be a defect

It's also the responsibility of the Builder to fix the effect so that means if you have any problems later and you can type back to that effect then the builder as part of their warranty has to fix not only the defect but the item affected by it.

So for example where they hadn't bolted the beam in my house if I had creaky floors above that and and the Builder had not fixed it then I'm within my rights to get the builder at any time within the seven year period to come and fix the problem and anything leading from that problem

That's the key advantage of using a private inspector yourself as you will notice that when you get the report from your builder you don't actually get the report all you get is that the building has passed a stage with no details

Hurrow
Waldorf_Grange_Build
brucefil2011

We usually request to meet the SS out on site for discussion. Sometimes they say they will rectify it later on in the build process (we can't do anything but trust they are honest about this), sometimes they say they didn't understand what the defect was (yet they didn't ask for clarification), and sometimes they flat out say we aren't fixing it as that is not how we do things. Our SS has indicated that if he were present at the same time as the independent inspector that it would just result in an argument. It is very hard to micro manage every defect being rectified and in the end we have had to choose our battles.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Hurrow
Waldorf_Grange_Build
[quote="brucefil2011"]Emailed PD some items from frame inspection to be finalised last night I'm impressed to get an email from my SS this morning letting me know that it will be sorted out tomorrow. Very responsive

We usually request to meet the SS out on site for discussion. Sometimes they say they will rectify it later on in the build process (we can't do anything but trust they are honest about this), sometimes they say they didn't understand what the defect was (yet they didn't ask for clarification), and sometimes they flat out say we aren't fixing it as that is not how we do things. Our SS has indicated that if he were present at the same time as the independent inspector that it would just result in an argument. It is very hard to micro manage every defect being rectified and in the end we have had to choose our battles.[/quote]The perfect example of that we're the tiles in your shower look Porter Davis could have argued that the tiles were to code and it wasn't a problem but the good thing is they fixed it to make you happy as a customer

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone has done reverse cycle air conditioning for the entire home rather than having Gas heating + refrigerated/evap cooling , my colleagues at work have been suggesting to go for this option if available as it seems very cost-effective to run and supports multiple zones. Any pointer in this regard is appreciated.
im doing split system downstairs plus upstairs. fans in all upstairs bedrooms plus a product called odyssey that itilises heat and cold in your roof space.

https://www.edmonds.com.au/home-ventila ... ce/odyssey

We had our frame inspection with Darbecca this morning. By the sounds of things it's pretty good but as you'd expect there are a few things that need fixing. I'm glad we met with the guy to have the discussion because reading the report I have no clue if something is a major defect or a minor issue.

World_Of_Waldorf
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone has done reverse cycle air conditioning for the entire home rather than having Gas heating + refrigerated/evap cooling , my colleagues at work have been suggesting to go for this option if available as it seems very cost-effective to run and supports multiple zones. Any pointer in this regard is appreciated.

Having experienced reverse cycle and gas heating, I would go in with gas heating + some type of cooling. Gas heating just warms up the house more quickly. Another thing is to consider the cost - its about 17k plus for reverse. Offsetting the cost of gas and other type of cooling, how long before you recover the spend? 10 / 15 years based on your annual electric/gas bill? If you calculate that it will give you an indication in which direction to go towards.

Tips
World_Of_Waldorf
Hi everyone,

Having experienced reverse cycle and gas heating, I would go in with gas heating + some type of cooling. Gas heating just warms up the house more quickly. Another thing is to consider the cost - its about 17k plus for reverse. Offsetting the cost of gas and other type of cooling, how long before you recover the spend? 10 / 15 years based on your annual electric/gas bill? If you calculate that it will give you an indication in which direction to go towards.

Thanks for the response. Totally Agree. Given that we are getting a sales promotion for refrigerated cooling at 20% of the actual cost, we are now thinking to use that credit for reverse cycle... we currently have brivis gas ducted heating and it definitely heats up the entire house fairly quickly..
brucefil2011
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Hurrow

We usually request to meet the SS out on site for discussion. Sometimes they say they will rectify it later on in the build process (we can't do anything but trust they are honest about this), sometimes they say they didn't understand what the defect was (yet they didn't ask for clarification), and sometimes they flat out say we aren't fixing it as that is not how we do things. Our SS has indicated that if he were present at the same time as the independent inspector that it would just result in an argument. It is very hard to micro manage every defect being rectified and in the end we have had to choose our battles.

The perfect example of that we're the tiles in your shower look Porter Davis could have argued that the tiles were to code and it wasn't a problem but the good thing is they fixed it to make you happy as a customer

We were charged extra for brick lay tiles in the shower area so I think PD had to redo the niche. Our site supervisor is pretty good if we text him he can arrange things without us having to go through our BC.
cat 6 cable in

Hi everyone, to those who are doing dado panelling. Is it normal not to have insulation/wall batts behind it?

brucefil2011
fixing on ready for hebel. there installing tommorow.
Noticed while on site some thiefs broke into my padlocked shed and stole some tools

Just an update a very honest response from my site supervisor about the theft:

It has nothing to do with me, I have passed it onto my manager who has passed it on to his superiors.
We’ll let you know in due course.
Gift wrapped

This is how Metricon does the temporary down pipes. (Blue wrap)

This is how we do it down in Porto Daviso

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum