Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 782 of 862
goldencrumble
We had our WoS appointment yesterday. God I was exhausted at the end of the day. We were the last people to leave just before 6pm. Went well. A few things we will change/delete. Great having it on a Friday as it gives us the weekend as well as 2 business days to make any further decisions. Found the staff to be very helpful. Kitchen and electrical were awesome. A couple of surprises along the way which cost a bit more, a few I kinda knew were coming, some I did not. Very happy we signed when we did as one of the staff members mentioned the prices have gone up since then (my taps are now $100 more than what we paid). Here are some of our selections:

Façade - tiles, render, brick, windows and garage door (garage door was a surprise. We changed our colour scheme and none of the included colours worked so ended up with an extra $1100 that I hadn't planned on spending on a garage door).

Flooring and wall colour. Floorboards were the included Cat 1. Carpet was a Cat 3 upgrade but we don't have much carpet so not too pricey. We did have to pay extra to change a room from carpet to floorboards even though both Cat 1 was included. We wont know the true price of this until Contract as we will get credits back.

Stone benchtops in kitchen, bathroom and ensuite. 40mm to the island. We tried to have it flow through to our walk in pantry bench but it was nearly $2k to do (since it had no stone to start with) so that got ditched.

Front door - this cost us quite a bit as its a larger than normal door, and I have a feeling the sizes are standard. With frosted glass and stain similar to our garage door. We could have gone cheaper with one of the ones on display there but I wanted a solid wooden door.

Basins for ensuite (x2) and bathroom. Upgrade of $100 each.

Wall taps for the basins. These babies are now $100 more expensive.

Tiles - we went with a large 600 x 600 light grey tile in the bathrooms and ensuite, plus the floor of the toilet and laundry. One wall in both the ensuite and bathroom will have a feature tile wall of white subway in herringbone, plus the laundry tiles will also be in white subway herringbone along the bench. The wall behind the toilet will also be a feature wall of the white subway herringbone tile as well, to tie it in. All tiling is floor to ceiling.

Feature lights for our portico.

I bet you were exhausted! Looks like some great choices there.

Just a question about the door...was the size 1200x2340? Or a different size? Can you share the price?

Thanks.
Sounds like WoS went reasonably smoothly for you GoldenCrumble, good to hear!

On the Telstra cable thing with your neighbors a lot of the time people just aren't hearing the part of the conversation that's important to you. They've heard Telstra say things are fine as is and it doesn't affect them so that's all they really hear and care about. Maybe make it really clear that having the cables moved will save you a fair whack of money, make it explicit that you will pay for the full cost of having them moved, and none of it will affect them at all. If that doesn't work have your husband try it, or put it down in writing making it really clear why you want them moved and that there is absolutely no cost or hassle to the neighbor. And if that doesn't work, offer to pay them maybe! You'll still come out ahead!
Hi all, one quick question about garden tap in quality inclusions brochure under Tapware

2 Garden taps provided - one inside the front boundary and one attached to house.

I can see the tap attached to the house on the drawings, but couldn't find the one inside the front boundary nowhere on the drawings. I asked my BC whether it's because it's not attached to the house, it's not showing on the drawing. She came back saying it’s never put on the plans as the tap is referring to the one provided from Water company which is nearby the water metre. Is that right?

I assume for pretty much all the house designs, they would have the 2 garden taps as inclusions. Has anyone come across the same issue? Is your external tap within front boundary put on your plans?

Much appreciated if someone can shed some lights on this issue. Thank you
Kenshi123
I bet you were exhausted! Looks like some great choices there.

Just a question about the door...was the size 1200x2340? Or a different size? Can you share the price?

Thanks.

Our door size was 1020x2340. It was $2400. The standard non wood Porter Davis one was $1500. This one was off the Corinthian website.
Hurrow - yep Hubby is dealing with it. He was at the races yesterday when our neighbour popped in so I had to have the discussion with him.
We are actually trying to be quite accommodating as I know it's annoying when someone builds near you (our neighbour across the road just finished his house).
goldencrumble
Hurrow - yep Hubby is dealing with it. He was at the races yesterday when our neighbour popped in so I had to have the discussion with him.
We are actually trying to be quite accommodating as I know it's annoying when someone builds near you (our neighbour across the road just finished his house).

Looks like this is a common headache for most of the KDR, for us there are 3 cables from the pole running over our driveway to our neighbors property. We recently got the underground pit installed.. We are now discussing with the neighbor to get the electricity connected through the underground pit... I have the queries in this regard if someone had done this before:

1- For electricity, can someone recommend any licensed electrician or company to connect the power cables underground

2- Apart from electricity cables, there are Optus and Telstra cable running from the pole, do we have to talk to these providers to get it connected, or we need to contact licensed data cabler to get the job done

Appreciate your response.
Our Tender Experience

We find the tender process of PD to be a bit convoluted, previously we read in this forum and had the assumption that the tender presenter to be more knowledgeable, which was not in our case.. The person was very intimidating, using pressure techniques to get things signed, sometimes telling wrong things (we had to get things corrected), all our change requests to BC earlier were never made to the tender diagram (luckily i had kept all comms in a spreadheet and go through it again) , moving faster pace especially walking through the site cost part without explaining in details...we asked the person to slow down a bit, understand that they are under time pressure to close the deal, but things shouldn't be rushed. Couple of times the presenter had to go out of the room and check things from the manager and back in couple of mins without any change in the answer given earlier...all this we felt a bit of drama being performed before us... from our experience for site cost prospective, we realized at the end of the day, how much ever you ask, nothing going to change and PD is going to charge that much amount which they have decided... you take it or leave it...mostly people would take it and move forward...

All in all it wasnt a very pleasant experience for us... anyways we got over it and looking forward to the next milestone.. May be 1 year down the line once we get into the new home, we probably will think all these were worthwhile..
World_Of_Waldorf
goldencrumble

Looks like this is a common headache for most of the KDR, for us there are 3 cables from the pole running over our driveway to our neighbors property. We recently got the underground pit installed.. We are now discussing with the neighbor to get the electricity connected through the underground pit... I have the queries in this regard if someone had done this before:

1- For electricity, can someone recommend any licensed electrician or company to connect the power cables underground

2- Apart from electricity cables, there are Optus and Telstra cable running from the pole, do we have to talk to these providers to get it connected, or we need to contact licensed data cabler to get the job done

We are also getting a power pit but our neighbours don't want to put their cables on it.... Our issue cables are Telstra. After a very lengthy phone conversation with Telstra (I swear no one could understand what I was asking) I discovered that you need an austel licensed electrician to move cables from the pole. To move them off our property we want a mid span done. This is when they connect the cables to the middle of the power line, not the pole. That's what we are trying to do in our kdrb
Hi all, one quick question about garden tap in quality inclusions brochure under Tapware

2 Garden taps provided - one inside the front boundary and one attached to house.

I can see the tap attached to the house on the drawings, but couldn't find the one inside the front boundary nowhere on the drawings. I asked my BC whether it's because it's not attached to the house, it's not showing on the drawing. She came back saying it’s never put on the plans as the tap is referring to the one provided from Water company which is nearby the water metre. Is that right?

I assume for pretty much all the house designs, they would have the 2 garden taps as inclusions. Has anyone come across the same issue? Is your external tap within front boundary put on your plans?

Much appreciated if someone can shed some lights on this issue. Thank you
yes its the one next to your water meter

see more at hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com
Our build is moving along at a very fast pace. scafolding up saturday ready for 2nd storey hebel walls monday.

electrical ruff in nearly complete.

a tip I got from someone else for fans ect that you will put in take photos of where they will go after ruff in before plaster

Phoenix
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Advice wanted: we have been asked if we would like cornices in our master ensuite or not, as we are having floor to ceiling tiles on three walls.

The display home did not have cornices as per pictures below.

We have upgraded to the Symphony cornice throughout the entire house and doing Classic Hamptons theme.

- View my blog at http://www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com

We were not given any option, we were just told that that because we are having floor to ceiling tiles in master ensuite, we need to upgrade to square set ceiling. They charged us about $400 for to upgrade to square set.

We are building the Forsyth and have floor to ceiling in our bathroom and we have cornice. Looking back I think we would have preferred square set. Hope your build is going well.
Flamee
Phoenix
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Advice wanted: we have been asked if we would like cornices in our master ensuite or not, as we are having floor to ceiling tiles on three walls.

We have upgraded to the Symphony cornice throughout the entire house and doing Classic Hamptons theme.

We were not given any option, we were just told that that because we are having floor to ceiling tiles in master ensuite, we need to upgrade to square set ceiling. They charged us about $400 for to upgrade to square set.

We are building the Forsyth and have floor to ceiling in our bathroom and we have cornice. Looking back I think we would have preferred square set. Hope your build is going well.
i think sauare set looks better with floor to celing tiles

brucefil2011
Flamee
Phoenix
[quote="Waldorf_Grange_Build"]Advice wanted: we have been asked if we would like cornices in our master ensuite or not, as we are having floor to ceiling tiles on three walls.

i think sauare set looks better with floor to celing tiles

see more at hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com[/quote]

Yes we told our site supervisor to do square set in the end. He did say if we didn’t like the look he could add a cornice afterwards. As long as they get the join right as the tiles aren’t flat they have a rippled edge.

- View my blog at www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
goldencrumble
World_Of_Waldorf
goldencrumble

We are also getting a power pit but our neighbours don't want to put their cables on it.... Our issue cables are Telstra. After a very lengthy phone conversation with Telstra (I swear no one could understand what I was asking) I discovered that you need an austel licensed electrician to move cables from the pole. To move them off our property we want a mid span done. This is when they connect the cables to the middle of the power line, not the pole. That's what we are trying to do in our kdrb

Thanks for the pointer. I never heard of this term "mid span". Sounds very promising. Can this be done to both electricity and Optus/Telstra cable ? Tomorrow i will call up a few electrician from yellow pages and collect a few quotes. Thanks again.
Hi Everyone, Quick question - PD are building a portion of my garage in brick even tough the entire house is being built in Hebel. This brick wall is on the garage boundary and will be rendered externally.

My question - esp for those building with Hebel, what does the internal wall of your garage look like? Is left with standard brickwork, or is it rendered on the inside as well, or is there plasterboard on the inside?

I'd have assumed that there is plasterboard on the inside, as the ceiling and other wall has plasterboard on it, but the site supervisor seemed to think that it would just be brickwork on the inside wall.
sinbox
Hi Everyone, Quick question - PD are building a portion of my garage in brick even tough the entire house is being built in Hebel. This brick wall is on the garage boundary and will be rendered externally.

My question - esp for those building with Hebel, what does the internal wall of your garage look like? Is left with standard brickwork, or is it rendered on the inside as well, or is there plasterboard on the inside?

I'd have assumed that there is plasterboard on the inside, as the ceiling and other wall has plasterboard on it, but the site supervisor seemed to think that it would just be brickwork on the inside wall.

We got a garage extension to boundary fence as well and our house is hebel. The inside garage wall is plastered and painted the same colour as inside interns walls.

Thanks @WaldorfGrangeBuild...That’s what I would have thought. Was this specifically called out anywhere in your tender or contract? Building a wall in brick was a PD decision, not mine and I think that leaving one entire wall in the garage with brickwork looks ugly...

sinbox
Thanks @WaldorfGrangeBuild...That’s what I would have thought. Was this specifically called out anywhere in your tender or contract? Building a wall in brick was a PD decision, not mine and I think that leaving one entire wall in the garage with brickwork looks ugly...

They charged us $2514 for a 1m extension. It’s listed in the contract under Structural. No mention of plaster internal wall there or under the Plaster section.

Here’s a pic I took back in September.

Waldorf_Grange_Build
sinbox

They charged us $2514 for a 1m extension. It’s listed in the contract under Structural. No mention of plaster internal wall there or under the Plaster section.

Thanks for the pic & details again...their excuse is that there is no timber frame to hold plasterboard on to as it is a single brick wall with columns as a supporting structure. They have agreed to render the inside wall in the same color as the other walls, but I’m not this would end up looking...

sinbox
Waldorf_Grange_Build
sinbox

Thanks for the pic & details again...their excuse is that there is no timber frame to hold plasterboard on to as it is a single brick wall with columns as a supporting structure. They have agreed to render the inside wall in the same color as the other walls, but I’m not this would end up looking...

We were charged 995$ for additional plaster stud walls to side and rear of internal Garage.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum