I am building a Porter Davis Brookwater. Had my tender appointment late September and my world of style appointments early November. Contract signing is booked in for late November.
During our tender appointment we decided to make a change where we removed a window which existed in the original plan. This window was an original inclusion in PD's plans. This was suggested by our consultant during our tender appointment as it would free up a wall for a future bbq in the alfresco area.
However, now we have realised that by removing the window and putting in a solid wall in that area we will be severely limiting the amount of light that comes into the area. It will definately make the area less desirable. This is making us stress out.
We contacted PD and they advised that since this was a structural change after tender, and since they had sent the plans for energy rating assessment they can make the change only after charging us $1500.
My argument is that, the change we are making is simply reverting back to the original plans that PD had. So from an energy rating point of view nothing should change for that area.
Charging $1500 for admin costs is like paying more than a weeks salary to someone who can possibly revert back to the original plan in 10 mins.
Any suggestions and advice on how I should approach this?
I saw your post at another Thread - brookwater. Glad to hear that you decided to go ahead. We have done our contract appointment on 31/10. Now waiting for Post Contract Variations from BC.
We have a similar issue to yours. We upgraded our front entry doors height to 2340mm at tender, however we found out at Contract appointment that the style we chose for front entry doors can't be modified to 2340mm as it has glass panel with fixed height to 2040mm. We then asked BC to change the height back to 2040mm and been told can't do it as it is structural change. PD's policy is no structural changes allowed after tender unless you pay for the redrawing fees.
The same feeling as you. I am a bit frustrated with this policy too. We are stilling working on the alternative options and will let you know how we go.
Is everything else going ok with your KDR? We just found out that our front setback dispensation application has been approved by the Council today! Great news! Now we need to get the house demolish soon. When is your site start? Ours is booked for Jan start. Fingers crossed it will take place as planned.
We have demolished the house already as it was anyways not habitable. Demolition was OK, put in the request for underground power and waiting for the power company to respond. Lets how much that will be.
We needed to go to dispensation as well for the front setback and we have been told verbally that this has been successful. Nothing in writing as yet. My contract is at the end of the month. Hopefully everythign will be sorted prior.
Did you get your contract documents in advance of your appointment to review. I think expecting people to review it with all the detail is quite ambitious on the same day.
I am concerned that some of our questions and changes that we wanted to include after our World of Style appointment has not been integrated going into contract. They say that those will be done after contract. I believe that is just not right considering there is almost 3 weeks between WOS and contract in my case and I would like a contract with all the changes included.
And for the structural variation I am yet to hear back.
I had the same concern about our changes not reflected at WOS appointments. What I did was sending a list of my questions/changes to my BC a week prior to the contract appointment then she addressed all my queries at the date of contract. This way at least you don't need to wait after contract.
I don't think PD allow you to have the final contract document prior to the date of contract appointment. It took us 6 hours for the contract appointment and still had a few items to be resolved as Post-Contract Variations.
At least you have your demolition completed well in advance. PD has submitted the building permit yesterday to Council and hopefully the permit will be issued prior to Xmas.
PS: Did you arrange temp fencing for your site after demolition? Could you please share some info about where to get temp fencing and how much it will cost?