Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 54 of 862
Lunchtime
I called the building commission about this issue - they are required to install appliances before settlement as per contract. I am in two minds about it, I dont really want to waste my time sitting around waiting for tradies when I have paid to do this, but in saying that I didnt mind the idea of being able to check the appliances before they are installed to make sure they have not been dropped or marked

Just called the Building Commission as well. Can confirm that to complete the contract - all appliances and finishing is required before they can claim final payment and handover.
To claim the fix stage as complete, your cabinets with sinks and shelving must be installed. In regards to the garage, this does not need to be completed in the fix stage. It's generally completed towards the end of construction, as it's not classed as a habitable room in the house.

well thats not what your CSO say - shelving as well I see -
Eve Dweller
Lunchtime
I called the building commission about this issue - they are required to install appliances before settlement as per contract. I am in two minds about it, I dont really want to waste my time sitting around waiting for tradies when I have paid to do this, but in saying that I didnt mind the idea of being able to check the appliances before they are installed to make sure they have not been dropped or marked

Just called the Building Commission as well. Can confirm that to complete the contract - all appliances and finishing is required before they can claim final payment and handover.

well done - for finding this information out - I cant believe that they are trying to do this !!
foundation
Thats exactly my concern and thus needed to clarify.

Does anyone knowwhat is standard practise though?? Do you think that rightly so this needs to be installed prior settlement.

Not sure if there are rules around this?

cheer

You need to have them in before you pay the final amount to them - can you see them running over there and swapping damaged appliances in a hurry - or will they tell you to wait for your 3 month maintenance appointment - get them installed as they have to in order to fulfill their end of the contract!!
Hi everyone,

We have just made a note of all the electrical switches / lights we would like to use in the house we plan on constructing with PD over the coming months. Could someone who has finished constructing/has been through their electrical appointment offer to give me the cost for the following electrical switches / lights. I am sure it will also assist others on this blog to get some kind of an estimate.

Ceiling Light Batten Holder - $
Wall Light Batten Holder - $
Low Voltage Downlight - $
100mm Draft-Proof Downlight - $
External Light Point - $
Heater / Fan & Light - 2 Globe -$
Heater / Fan & Light - 4 Globe - $

Junction Box - 1800mm Above Fl Unless Noted Otherwise - $
Ceiling Fan - $
Ceiling Fan with Light - $
Para Flood Light (Single) - $
Para Flood Light (Double) - $
600 Fluoro (Single) - $
600 Fluoro (Double) - $

1200 Fluoro (Single) - $
1200 Fluoro (Double) - $
Dimmer Light Switch - $
Security Sensor - $
Ceiling Exhaust Fan (Self-Sealing) - $
Ceiling Exhaust Fan Switched with Light (Self-Sealing) - $

Single GPO (300mm) - $
Single GPO (1100mm) - $
Single GPO (1350mm) - $
Single GPO (External) - $
Single GPO (For Dishwasher) - $
Single GPO (For Microwave) - $
Single GPO (For Security Sys) - $
UBO & RHOOD Connections - $

Double GPO (300mm) - $
Double GPO (1100mm) - $
Double GPO (1350mm) - $
Television Point - $
Capped Gas Point - $
Smoke Detector - $
Meter Box - $
Security System Keypad Location - $
Telephone Point - $

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

J & C
J & C
Hi everyone,

We have just made a note of all the electrical switches / lights we would like to use in the house we plan on constructing with PD over the coming months. Could someone who has finished constructing/has been through their electrical appointment offer to give me the cost for the following electrical switches / lights. I am sure it will also assist others on this blog to get some kind of an estimate.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

J & C

I'll have a look for you tonight
Post subject: Re: Porter Davis homesPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 am

Silver Member

Just wondering what Jess has to say about this??

I also confirmed this with the building commission and they also confirmed for me that the construction is not complete wthout appliances installation.

Also got a reply from my CSC and SS that they will not be doing installation prior to handover as its is not PD's normal practise. I told them thats BS...as I know so many of you have said they this was done in you case. They advised me to talk to someone higher in the org. Have left message for someone to call me....lets see what they have to say!!!

cheers
karmaz
Hi Jess, Thanks heaps for that & for the link. I will wait until shelving and sinks are complete before I pay the invoice. Do you know if its possible to get a copy of the inspectors report? Just curious.

Roshi, our current house is a single storey and we find an a/c in the master bedroom is a lifesaver when the temps cross 40 degrees. Our evap cooling is great under 35 degrees, once it crosses that it doesnt make much difference. I imagine it would be no different in a double storey. We intend to put an a/c in our master just for those days.

No idea about your other questions. I recall that its about $55 per double powerpoint but best to check with your sparky. Good luck!

Hi Karmaz,

You're very welcome
glad I could help. To answer your question, the quality inspections are carried out through out the build by external company BSS Design group. You will be provided with the final certificate at settlement assuring the quality of your new home. Individual reports are not accessible, however you can be assured that a Quality certificate cannot be presented at the end without these individual inspections taking place. You can discuss this further with your Customer Service Administrator (CSA) if you require further clarification. Does that help? Cheers, Jess.
Thanks Jess, you certainly have answered my questions - I would have liked to see the inspectors report but I 'm guessing they are responsible for the certificate and the guarantee of quality it implies, when it is provided. My compliments to Team PD for dedicating a resource to answer customer queries online, and to you for being so responsive. Have a great weekend!
foundation
Post subject: Re: Porter Davis homesPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 am

Silver Member

Just wondering what Jess has to say about this??

On another note - I also asked about occupancy permit or certificate. This will not be issued if the house is not in a habitable state.

Also from the website:
http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/ww ... permit.asp

Quote:
"The owner and builder should also be aware that under a major domestic building contract, the builder may not seek final payment until the building work is complete (apart from rectification of any minor defects) and an occupancy permit or a certificate of final inspection has been issued. The owner may refuse final payment if the certificate or permit has not been issued. If an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection is refused by the Relevant Building Surveyor because of defective or non-complying building work undertaken by a builder, the builder is responsible for rectification of this work."

Installation of appliances is not minor defect rectification.

The fact that items have a "chance" of being stolen does not over-ride contractual obligations.
Hi Everyone,

I understand there's been some confusion over the Porter Davis Tender process. Firstly, if you haven't already checked it out, we have a blog post on the Tender process on the PD blog which can be found here: http://blog.porterdavis.com.au/index.ph ... emetender/

To help further clarify the process for you I have put together some information to help shed some light on some of the questions that have been raised. You can find this information on the thread: Porter Davis Tender Process Explained, located here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44071

Cheers,
Jess.
karmaz
Thanks Jess, you certainly have answered my questions - I would have liked to see the inspectors report but I 'm guessing they are responsible for the certificate and the guarantee of quality it implies, when it is provided. My compliments to Team PD for dedicating a resource to answer customer queries online, and to you for being so responsive. Have a great weekend!

Thanks Karmaz,
Your feedback is much appreciated
Have a great weekend too!
Eve Dweller
On another note - I also asked about occupancy permit or certificate. This will not be issued if the house is not in a habitable state.

Also from the website:
http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/ww ... permit.asp

The certificate of occupancy is issued with a note saying the appliances are yet to be installed it is very common to allow people to have access to the certificate so finance can be finalised, council rubbish ordered etc, etc.

We happily handed over before the appliances were installed on a Friday and the hotwater installers, electricians and plumbers were all on site 8.30am Monday as arranged at PCI. The range hood was damaged the electrician rang the SS and a new one was there within an hour.

Having just arranged our 12 month inspection everyone I have ever dealt with at PD wanted me to be happy.
J & C
Hi everyone,

External Light Point - $

Hi J&C, don't worried too much about these costs because when you go to electrical appointment, they will tell you the exact price straight away. You can see the total price counting up in the big screen as you add more items... just stay within your budget.
mqtutor
J & C
Hi everyone,

External Light Point - $

Hi J&C, don't worried too much about these costs because when you go to electrical appointment, they will tell you the exact price straight away. You can see the total price counting up in the big screen as you add more items... just stay within your budget.

Hi mqtutor,

If we have an understanding of the prices before we go for the electrical appointment, it will assist us in our budget as we have an electrical blue print with for the house design. We can also be sure we do not waste to much time deciding at the electrical appointmentl.

We have managed to get hold of some prices from one of these blogs for example we got to know that for a ceiling fan with lights PD charges $354. That way we know that we will have to spend x amount of $ for a specific item even before we arrive at the appointment.

Cheers,

J & C
Hi j & c,
From memory u are looking around 100-200 per light.
I think ea downlight cost me 100.
A floodlight was around 150.
I end up spending 5k very quickly!
And I got down lights only downstairs, flood lights all outside, a few fancy stair lights, extra dbl powerpoints in every single room, which i think cost around 100-150 from memory ea room. And some down lights in alfresco. Outdoor power points. 2 fancy lights at front door and one on balcony! We got a caveat think it's called to put a fan in later, that was 60, otherwise it would have cost around 350! Also put an extra tv point in the master bedroom, extra telephone point in kitchen. Which I think cost roughly 50-100 ea!
Oh yeah we also got heat lights in both bathrooms too.
I think sml one was 180 & big one was around 300 something. Hard to remember everything because they put the total price at the front but not the individual pricing for everything!
I had 5k budgeted & spent 7k.
But we already had the alarm & ducted vac already in our Tender doc.
So all up we spent 10k!
The girl said most people spend 15-20k in a dbl story house our size.
So rapt I didnt go to crazy! Lol

Mel
Hello everyone,
My long.... Journey is finally about to start. Lol
Put deposit down on land back in April 2010, finally settled just before Xmas!
Went to tender in oct 10, signed contact in nov 10 & site should be starting very shortly.
Sadddd that my wonderful csa A has left pd. She was very good

Have a new guy named P. seems good so far.
Hopefully I have the same one until my build finishes lol!
Any way, update is around a few wks ago we were told site will be starting very soon, but no date has actually been given!
We were asked to mow our block, done!
Yesterday when I did a drive by I see a portaloo & overpass put on our driveway!
Very excited!!
Mel
Hi Mel,
A portaloo....

Congratulations, it's starting!!

We are building the Waldorf with PD, so would love to follow your build. Very excited for you.
Mimi
Hi,
Our Cremorne is nearing completion,we are expecting PCI end of Feb.Now we have question who will pay the electricity & water bills during construction?
Any one please help.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum