Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 51 of 862
I have noticed that the tops (and I guess bottoms) of our doors have not been painted. I feel like this is lazyness on behalf of PD but apparently that is the standard. Is anyone able to advise what is the relevant standard? this was asked earlier but doesnt seem like I can find a response to this issue???
Last house I had, tops and bottoms of doors painted. It got scrapped off by the top door frame and rubbed on the carpet below.
I actually prefer it non-painted.
Internal doors only of course.
then shouldnt they "shave" the doors by thats little bit so it doesnt scraap off -

I suppose i would still like to know what is the standard regarding this -
fingers crossed
I have noticed that the tops (and I guess bottoms) of our doors have not been painted. I feel like this is lazyness on behalf of PD but apparently that is the standard. Is anyone able to advise what is the relevant standard? this was asked earlier but doesnt seem like I can find a response to this issue???

8.06 Sealing of Door Edges

Door leaves are deceftive if they do not have all sides, top and bottom edges that are sealed to prevent moisture entering.

This was in the guide to standards and tolerances 2007, page 40. Available from the building commission website under publications. Yet apparently not many of PD's SS know that this document exists - its well worth reading through to give you an overview of what is and isnt acceptable

http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/ww ... ntSiteID=1
^^ I think this only applies to external facing doors.

The sealing refers to "door leaves", not sealing with paint.
Eve Dweller
^^ I think this only applies to external facing doors.

Nah, I called them up and had a chat about a few issues. They suggested its worth fighting for wet areas and externals - but technically even wardrobe doors are defective if they are not sealed.

Also keep in mind that the word is sealed, which doesnt necessarily mean painted. Although painted would be by far the easiest method to achieve this
we were told that only the tops and bottoms of external doors and doors in wet areas are to be painted -
so internal doors dont have to be painted on the tops and bottoms -
seriously this is just laziness -
More more question please - Does the garage roof get included in the fitting stage?
fingers crossed
More more question please - Does the garage roof get included in the fitting stage?

No that should be on the lock up stage.. Although the plastering could be in the fixing stage.. depending
fingers crossed,

Perhaps you should put all your questions into one message so we can help you answer them all at once.

There is no point spamming this topic.
mel_mox
excitednewhomeowner
We are currently set to start building in 1 month and the grass is currently around knee height in some areas. I'm guessing in 4 weeks it will probably be around 1m tall. Do you think its fine at this height or should i get the mower on it? I remember our SC saying our land has be accessible for the builders.

Hey excited home owner,
I just got a call on Friday from pd saying we need to mow our block.
Our grass isn't that bad really! Only about half a metre. They are planning to start in a few wks!
Mel

Do you guys bring the mower and mow the grass yourself or hire mower man to do it for you?

I got a congrats and welcome letter from the council with a warning for untidy lawn. omg.
Do you guys bring the mower and mow the grass yourself or hire mower man to do it for you?

I got a congrats and welcome letter from the council with a warning for untidy lawn. omg.[/quote]

I would recommend a mower man, after all, it isnt lawn or even grass for that matter. It will be full of rocks and rubbish that will give your lawnmower a hard time. If you were going for the DIY, I would attack it with a whippersnipper rather than a mower
Sorted! PD has agreed to 205 days as specified in the contract and now I have it in writing – woo hoo!! It looks like they *may* meet their deadline, which would be fantastic. All I want is my house completed on time, with no mucking about.

The SS has been pretty good as well, he met us on site on Friday and gave us an update. About three weeks from then he reckons, I will add another two to be generous.

Lunchtime, we used a mower ourselves. There was only grass but it took us a good three hours to get it done.

I paid for lock up before the garage roof went on. Held back on the fixing invoice though, which came through in early December as the work is still not done. Sinks not in etc etc, and will pay only when they complete that stage as per the contract.

Need to check out the seals as well. They said we’d get internal stoppers or something like that as part of the promotion but forgot to include it in the contract.

All good now, much much happier than I was before. Its been a long long road. Phew!
Congrats!!
karmaz
Sorted! PD has agreed to 205 days as specified in the contract and now I have it in writing – woo hoo!! It looks like they *may* meet their deadline, which would be fantastic. All I want is my house completed on time, with no mucking about.

All good now, much much happier than I was before. Its been a long long road. Phew!

Great news Karmaz, good to hear that it is in your favour.
Hi All,
got a call from the Site Supervisor this morning. He has confirmed our site start for this coming Friday the 11th of Feb. He has advised that the slab done and framing to be completed by the 25th. Fingers crossed as it's all dependant on the weather.
Lunchtime
tstr1a
You have paid in your cost an allowance for portable toilets for the tradies to use. Why are they using your new toilet???? I would tell the SS to replace it with a new one.

Hi Jess,

Can you confirm if I should be having the toilet replaced as its now second hand. There is also the issue that I have paid to have these facilities available to tradies. Can you advise please. I am very ** off about it - pardon the pun

thank you

Hi lunchtime,

I am sorry to hear that this has been happening and completely understand your frustration. I would like to assure you that this is not standard practice for Porter Davis and I'm disappointed to hear that this happened. Your Site Supervisor has been notified of the issue and will be in contact with you to discuss it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Regards, Jess.
Team PD
Lunchtime
tstr1a
You have paid in your cost an allowance for portable toilets for the tradies to use. Why are they using your new toilet???? I would tell the SS to replace it with a new one.

Hi Jess,

Can you confirm if I should be having the toilet replaced as its now second hand. There is also the issue that I have paid to have these facilities available to tradies. Can you advise please. I am very ** off about it - pardon the pun

thank you

Hi lunchtime,

I am sorry to hear that this has been happening and completely understand your frustration. I would like to assure you that this is not standard practice for Porter Davis and I'm disappointed to hear that this happened. Your Site Supervisor has been notified of the issue and will be in contact with you to discuss it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Regards, Jess.

Thank you Jess, I will post back the results of what we settle on
magicjen17
Miss Piggy
Just wondering if there is anywhere i can see the suppliers that PD use, i thought i saw them once on the PD website but cant find it now, maybe it was another builder, i was just trying to get an idea of the brands used etc, not a huge matter just thought i would ask here if anyone knew somewhere online

Miss Piggy, here is a list of the suppliers for the Lifestyle Range (from our colour guide):

Tiles: National Tiles
Carpet: Godfrey Hirst/Oakleigh Carpet Court
Laminate: Laminex/Formica
Bricks: Boral
Roof Tiles: Boral
Garage Doors: B&D Doors (or Advanced Garage Doors for timber look)
Windows: Southern Star
Doors: Corinthian
Paint: Wattyl
Render: Dulux Acratex
Tapware: Tradelink (from the range they have at Hopetoun)
Appliances: Blanco
Evap cooling: Bonaire

Those are all the ones listed in the design guide so I hope that helps. I can check our stuff if you are looking for any others.

When are you visiting the Chadwick display??

jen

thanks Jen that is what i was after

I was hoping to go this week to visit the Chadwick display but on Friday night in the storms our house was struck by lightning
so it has been put on the back burning while we get everythign back up and running/fixed and the insurance worked out etc etc
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum