Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Home Buyers Centre in Pearsall WA :)

Page 9 of 9
I'll dig out the contact details and send you a private message - such a lovely guy and for a 700mm x 2070mm splashback in metallic colour with two power point cut outs plus installation is $814. Such a good price!!

Make sure you give your landlord at least 21 days notice of moving out.. Hopefully they'll be fair about breaking the lease! Any chance of some pics from you?
sdmould
So our PC is next Friday and then moving in on the 24th
YAY!

Awesome sdmould that's so good mate. Looking forward to seeing more upcoming pics. Before you know it you're gonna be at that inspection on Friday.

We move the last of our furniture tomorrow, so tonight is the last night in our rental property after having lived here for 7 years. It has been great moving our gear though, the more stuff we get into our own house the more it feels like home.

You're going to know that feeling soon enough too
sdmould
I'll dig out the contact details and send you a private message - such a lovely guy and for a 700mm x 2070mm splashback in metallic colour with two power point cut outs plus installation is $814. Such a good price!!

oh yes please????!!! I'm so dying to have my splashback installed when our house is finished.

As for the pictures, I know Venturai mentioned on how to upload some photos but I still haven't sign up to their site yet.
Anyway I'll try sending you a pic of our house, my biggest problem now is the color. We are following the Archer Display home of DAle Alcock and their colour is way different than ours. I've got a copy of Dale's colour selection sheet. I'm hoping it's just a first coat or something.

@ Venturai...I'm a bit ambivalent, I never expected to have our house finish this quick..I was thinking in May or June..but by the looks of things, maybe first week of April.

Srichz
I think the thing that has made it most homely was getting the landscaping done. Just having sand everywhere is boring, hot, dusty and not homely. Makes a huge difference
sdmould
So our PC is next Friday and then moving in on the 24th
YAY!
) HBC let us have a key yesterday to meet our contractor on site to measure up our glass splashback

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the deal is with sourcing some of my own things, like ducted aircon, solar panels etc and having them installed during the build? What's the deal with HBC allowing these contractors on site & access into the property?

Btw, thanks so much for your thread, it's helped me a lot as I'm a newbie & so very green. I feel like I am able to get some straight, unbiased answers with you. Have you any updates? I've enjoyed following your journey.
K
Hi Kaz!

The general rule of thumb for a first home buyer company is they do not like to allow owner nominated trades / supplies. Under some situations they will but this has to be done in the early stages.. If you supply your own materials, you need your own insurance to cover these and it anything happens eg a scratch or stolen, the builder takes no responsibility.. With owner nominated trades they dont like to offer they do it and will try to get out of it but if you push the issue they will sometimes buckle.

As far as things not in the contract - unless you have a really nice site supervisor who you have befriended then you wont be able to do it.. For example, our glass splashback was not part of our contract it was something we were adding ourselves and not even discussed with HBC. Our site supervisor allowed us to have a key to go on site for it to be measured and we always had planned installation after handover. If we had wanted this done prior I think it may have been an issue. I think they would have let us at the very end as the risk of damage would be significantly lessened.

If you have any questions let me know

Update: We had our inspection and they had to fix a dented light switch, level alfresco and put in the phone point which they didn't do despite us paying for it and signing a clarification variation of what is was. Picked up our keys two days later - Thurs arvo, went up on the Thurs night to seal the walls and the driveway was collapsed, alfresco not filled in and phone point not sorted.

I complained on Monday morning and guys were out later that day fixing the alfresco. Paving for rectified on the following Friday and their electrician was meant to come last Friday to do the phone point - two hours later he rung telling me he forgot so he is meant to be out tomorrow! GAH!

Our splashback went to be installed and there was a mark between the glass and paint so had to be pulled off the wall and glue pried off.. Was installed yesterday and looks good

Now hubby can install canopy rangehood!

All our downlights have been installed, but HBC didn't do the junction boxes how we were told they work so took electrician 3 days and a lot of money so he could rewire everything prior to actually doing the downlights!

Our furniture is STILL delayed - another fortnight..

Started digging footings for letterbox and retaining wall then we can get the landscaper out so no pics for another fortnight or so guys

But on another note - WOW
we are in our own home! The house is nowhere near finished, missing half the furniture, walls are yellow (hubbys painter mate told us to get a particular sealer that had a 'lovely coloured finish' so we wouldnt have to paint for awhile - turns out to be canary yellow!) but we feel so proud looking around and knowing its ours
Congrats on finally moving to your own place!!!

Can't wait for the moving in pics!!

Our house is currently in tiling stage and hopefully we have a smooth ride to inspection, and no problems with paving or anything at all. Btw, did you get an independent inspector?

Regarding the glass splashback, did you remove the 1 layer of tiles from HBC (any tips
) or did you ask to have it removed during prestart?

I also had junction boxes, oh my...I hope we don't have to spend so much for it. Did you have LED downlights or just the halogen ones? We bought ours online and it's the halogen ones which is like 50% cheaper from the stores.
LED are lovely but way to expensive for us.

I'll try to see if I can show you our house, we are so happy with our colour choices.
sdmould
Hi Kaz!

The general rule of thumb for a first home buyer company is they do not like to allow owner nominated trades / supplies. Under some situations they will but this has to be done in the early stages.. If you supply your own materials, you need your own insurance to cover these and it anything happens eg a scratch or stolen, the builder takes no responsibility.. With owner nominated trades they dont like to offer they do it and will try to get out of it but if you push the issue they will sometimes buckle.

As far as things not in the contract - unless you have a really nice site supervisor who you have befriended then you wont be able to do it.. For example, our glass splashback was not part of our contract it was something we were adding ourselves and not even discussed with HBC. Our site supervisor allowed us to have a key to go on site for it to be measured and we always had planned installation after handover. If we had wanted this done prior I think it may have been an issue. I think they would have let us at the very end as the risk of damage would be significantly lessened.

If you have any questions let me know
Quote:

Update: We had our inspection and they had to fix a dented light switch, level alfresco and put in the phone point which they didn't do despite us paying for it and signing a clarification variation of what is was. Picked up our keys two days later - Thurs arvo, went up on the Thurs night to seal the walls and the driveway was collapsed, alfresco not filled in and phone point not sorted.

I complained on Monday morning and guys were out later that day fixing the alfresco. Paving for rectified on the following Friday and their electrician was meant to come last Friday to do the phone point - two hours later he rung telling me he forgot so he is meant to be out tomorrow! GAH!

Our splashback went to be installed and there was a mark between the glass and paint so had to be pulled off the wall and glue pried off.. Was installed yesterday and looks good

Now hubby can install canopy rangehood!

All our downlights have been installed, but HBC didn't do the junction boxes how we were told they work so took electrician 3 days and a lot of money so he could rewire everything prior to actually doing the downlights!

Our furniture is STILL delayed - another fortnight..

Started digging footings for letterbox and retaining wall then we can get the landscaper out so no pics for another fortnight or so guys

But on another note - WOW
we are in our own home! The house is nowhere near finished, missing half the furniture, walls are yellow (hubbys painter mate told us to get a particular sealer that had a 'lovely coloured finish' so we wouldnt have to paint for awhile - turns out to be canary yellow!) but we feel so proud looking around and knowing its ours

Thanks for that. Hope you've moved in & everything has gone smoothly?
Well hopefully you're enjoying your beautiful home since we haven't had any updates from you! Thought I'd check in & see if you have posted anymore pictures or updates on the house. Also I wanted to ask a couple things too.

We've only signed the preliminary works contract & have yet to sign the lump sum building & contract quotation. Can we add or delete any of our variations so we can include other things into our contract, rather than doing at pre-start? It's hard to know what to include in our contract & what things to leave until pre-start.
Also, since we haven't signed the above contracts, does that mean that if we are not happy with things that we can cancel our build with HBC & go with another builder?
You mentioned that the junction boxes didn't work how HBC said they would, can you explain why? When I read your thread I was so excited to have them added in so that we too could do our own down lights, but then to read you had to get an electrician in to rectify it made me think twice about getting it done. We are wanting so many more power points around the house & probably tv aerial points. I was told to get the sparkie to install heaps of conduits (?-I think that's what they're called) so we can get them hooked up by our own sparkie later (cheaper). Do you know what smart wiring is?
That's it for now. Hope all is going well in you new home, so exciting.
Kaz
Related
15/12/2023
Garage Door Centre Pillar is 2 different levels

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, have purchased a house with 2 single garage doors. The Centre pillar one side sits proud to the other. Can I change 2 doors into one. Please see picture.

3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum