Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Blackwood Park hacienda

Page 5 of 9
Hahaha. .. sure thing. . . what's an "undercroft"?
ohh. . . a crypt?
did the builder give you any elevations of the plan?
E-Mail sent....Is that what you're looking for ?

Mrs P_D's definition of "undercroft" ..............

Where the garage isn't exactly under the house, but sort-of, kind-of, at a level that's lower then a ground floor, but not as high as a first floor.

But I don't think the cross-slope is sufficient for this to work properly ?

Cheers,

P_D

ohhh. . . I see! Is this the kind of facade you're looking for?

I was getting quite excited about the crypt there. . .
jodge
ohhh. . . I see! Is this the kind of facade you're looking for?

I was getting quite excited about the crypt there. . .

No, Sorry, No crypt, although sometimes I think Mrs P_D would put me in it if we had one

We're not worried about the actual look of the facade yet, inasmuch as we want to get the floorplan right first, and negotiate with the builder about the looks later !!

We're in a two-story house now, and with neither of us being spring-chickens, as much as Mrs P_D would at least like the option of the garage being lower, realistically I think there would need to be one or more really good reasons for doing so.

While we're not having trouble with out stairs now, looking at her parents we can see that the day will come when fewer stairs = happier life
!!!

Cheers,

P_D
yes, you're probably right. . .

Ok. . . well. . . from your countour survey, you don't actually have much of a drop across the block anyway (unless the photos show otherwise). Though you should try and work with the 3.5m climb from front to back. . . If you want to minimize costs, you should try and step up little and often I think. . . less drop-edge beams, less materials, less excavation. And less steps, more often too. Probably easier on the legs.

Did I read earlier that it's just yourself and Mrs P_D? No kiddies?
jodge
.....Did I read earlier that it's just yourself and Mrs P_D? No kiddies?

At this stage we have boy-child still living at home, but in 12 months time..............

If he hasn't moved out by then we suspect his departure won't be far behind.

(One (or more) of the rooms will be used when girl-child visits from Sydney, hopefully with, according to Mrs P_D, grandchildren
!!

P_D
ok. . . then I can suggest a couple of things:

1. Chuck the boy-child out BEFORE you've build the new place.. . otherwise he might get a bit too comfortable.
2. Bed2 and 3 are pretty huge. . . if they're just going to be used for occasional visits you could make them a bit smaller.

I'm just having a little play about with some things. . . You seem quite keen on your photography. . . would you like a dedicated studio?
jodge
ok. . . then I can suggest a couple of things:

1. Chuck the boy-child out BEFORE you've build the new place.. . otherwise he might get a bit too comfortable......

You evil wicked person you.........

Excellent idea

Friends of ours bought a new place and did total remodel before they moved in.

On moving day their girl-child arrives at "new" home and asks which was to be her bedroom.

She was pointed to shoe-box sized room at the bottom of the back corridor, she took the hint and moved out shortly thereafter !!

jodge
2. Bed2 and 3 are pretty huge. . . if they're just going to be used for occasional visits you could make them a bit smaller.

Can (at least) one of them be a "decent size" ?

It'll be my night-shift sleeping room
!

jodge
.....You seem quite keen on your photography. . . would you like a dedicated studio?

Does it come with storage / make-up area / loo / too ??

As the photography is a "part-time-hobby" it seemed to make sense to have the garage do double-duty ??

Ideally the studio would be 8-10 meters long and at least 5 meters wide.

We need a rural property
!!!

Thanks P_D
maybe I'll put a kennel outside for you. . . it's that, or the crypt!!!
jodge
maybe I'll put a kennel outside for you. . . it's that, or the crypt!!!

Love yer work

P_D
be afraid. . .be very afraid!
Hello! Here's my first attempt. .. sorr. . .but I redrew your plan and made a few changes (steps are shown in red). . . is there anything you like?

Here's an example of the south side of the house on the land (the red line is an approximation of the slope). The top pic is without any steps, the bottom one is with the steps I put in.

Darn. . . I forgot to add a kennel!
jodge
Hello! Here's my first attempt. .. sorr. . .but I redrew your plan and made a few changes (steps are shown in red). . . is there anything you like........

Wow !! 1:00am delivery !!

Thanks heaps, Mrs P_D will have to look and comment, and she's in bed now

** IF ** I was aloud to comment, and it's not certain that I am, I might of said some things like.....

1) Can the loo in the make-up area be separate from the mirror / lights / vanity ?
2) She'll have a regular door on the study

3) You've done well on the Master Bedroom, All boxes ticked, well done, someone WAS paying attention

4) Can there be a wardrobe in the Master Bedroom, doesn't need to be a large one, just somewhere to keep dressing gown / slippers / nighties etc ?
5) We'll have to have a think about it, but I **think** we might like what you've done with the kitchen...A lot !
6) Garage MUST be minimum 6,000mm wide...How long can I have it ? 8,500mm or better ??
7) Maximum house width must not exceed 16,000mm

jodge
.........Darn. . . I forgot to add a kennel!

So where were you planning I sleep
? ? ?

Cheers, and thanks a zillion,

P_D
haha. . . you'll just have to sleep in the garage. . .

- House is 16m wide
Yes, I can merge the store and WC to give you a "dressing room". . . maybe you should have a wardrobe in there? Or at least a rail?
- Regular study door. . . no probs.
- I'm sure I can shimmy the master suite around a bit to give you a wardrobe inside, maybe I could convert a small part of the WIR?
- Garage is 6250 wide at front, extra 760mm width at the back. Length is 8500.

I'd think about having a double garage door instead of two singles. .. then you only need one automatic opener!

Those huge steps in the dining room can be moved to the hallway, behind the pantry.

Kitchen is 5.9m long, island is 3m long (which is the longest you can have it to use a single piece of stone)

You have access to the back of your whole TV wall, via the master suite's hallway.

WIR looks small, but it's 3900 x 2090.. . I prefer the bedroom in this position, away from the TV.

I've stolen the door from the back of your garage store, and moved the door from the front to the back of the garage instead.

His 'n' hers vanities and a double shower in the ensuite.

Spare beds are 3200 x 4400.

Bedtime!
There is a LOT of store rooms, is there something we are not being told!!!???

Master bed has its own linen, how posh is that
I like this plan jodge. I like the site line from front door. Just my thing. Need to look at art or a mirror when entering!

And the master is a hotel mini suite in dubai.
She's good isn't she P-D ... I like it much better than the original ... sorry
I can’t help but think that there’s a better way of planning this house though. There are an AWFUL lot of hallways in there. I put a store in wherever there’s leftover space. The spare bedrooms are both 3200 x 4400, which is really pretty big, and not really required if you’re going to boot out boy-child.

Kiwi. .. you’re right, Dubai-master-suite is VERY grand.. . having the toilet in a separate room in the ensuite adds on a lot of space.

P_D… I’d like to play around and put the living areas across the back of the house, and move the master suite just behind the garage. This would hopefully mean less hallways. Any objections? Was there a reason you didn’t want the living areas at the back of the house?

This house is big enough to host a 4th bedroom, if we get rid of some of the hallways. . . or we could just trim down on the overall size and save you some moolah (or add some garage)
Related
8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum