Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who's building with Clarendon??

Page 926 of 929
Hi fellas, need information about getting a private inspector. Was reading up and some people recommend it. We will probably move in just before Christmas. Haven't had any independent inspection since the build started. Thinking of just getting a final inspection done.

When do you organize it? Before or after handover?
I presume if it's pre-handover then I will have to arrange a mutual time with my site manager and the independent inspector to be onsite?
Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thank you.
SnowLeopard
Hi fellas, need information about getting a private inspector. Was reading up and some people recommend it. We will probably move in just before Christmas. Haven't had any independent inspection since the build started. Thinking of just getting a final inspection done.

I presume if it's pre-handover then I will have to arrange a mutual time with my site manager and the independent inspector to be onsite?

Thank you.

You just need to call private inspector and tell them the stage you are and ask for the cost.

Make sure you have a pre lining and before handover stage.
wentworth33
SnowLeopard

Thank you.

You just need to call private inspector and tell them the stage you are and ask for the cost.

Thanks Wentworth33, it's too late for pre-lining. Our walls are on undercoat was done a couple of days ago. I'll call up a company and find out what their process is. Do you have any recommendation?
Gambit79
We moved in last September. Have been doing landscaping since then. Now the CDC are chasing us to get the final OC. But we have to do some stupid Works as Executed survey first, which no one told us about and it costs $1000.
bumblebee1985
Gambit79
Hi all

Has anyone gone about a process of a final occupation certificate without engaging the private certifier? We are having a lot of issues with our certifier and now Clarendon stating we need to engage a surveyor at our own cost to provide a report on our hydraulics.
Any stories of getting around this would be great.
Cheers

So you've had handover and are in the house and now just need to get the full occ cert?

Sorry, prob a stupid question but if the works were executed by Clarendon shouldn't they provide the survey as part of it???
bumblebee1985
Gambit79
We moved in last September. Have been doing landscaping since then. Now the CDC are chasing us to get the final OC. But we have to do some stupid Works as Executed survey first, which no one told us about and it costs $1000.
bumblebee1985
[quote="Gambit79"]Hi all

Has anyone gone about a process of a final occupation certificate without engaging the private certifier? We are having a lot of issues with our certifier and now Clarendon stating we need to engage a surveyor at our own cost to provide a report on our hydraulics.
Cheers

So you've had handover and are in the house and now just need to get the full occ cert?

Sorry, prob a stupid question but if the works were executed by Clarendon shouldn't they provide the survey as part of it???[/quote]You would think so. But no it's a hidden little one line thing that says owners responsibility.

Gambit79
bumblebee1985
Gambit79
We moved in last September. Have been doing landscaping since then. Now the CDC are chasing us to get the final OC. But we have to do some stupid Works as Executed survey first, which no one told us about and it costs $1000. [quote="bumblebee1985"][quote="Gambit79"]Hi all

Cheers

Sorry, prob a stupid question but if the works were executed by Clarendon shouldn't they provide the survey as part of it???[/quote]You would think so. But no it's a hidden little one line thing that says owners responsibility.

[/quote]What sneaks!!!
SnowLeopard
wentworth33
SnowLeopard

Thank you.

Thanks Wentworth33, it's too late for pre-lining. Our walls are on undercoat was done a couple of days ago. I'll call up a company and find out what their process is. Do you have any recommendation?

I use Jims building. Depending on where you build, they have different people, unless you go direct.
Mrs RS
Spooky8080
Mrs RS
Have a question regarding waterproof how high it's done for wall heights. ..
If you have a picture please share need to clarify our waterproofing. ...thanks in advance

The first stage they do walls, plaster joins and floor, the second stage is as per your picture just floor and it is an epoxy including a lip around the floor basin.

We don't have anything on the wall thats all shown in the pic...
I thought it should be bit high up will ask ss when at site. ...

How did you go with waterproofing? We don't have any waterproofing on the walls. Just the floor and joints. Was thinking they will complete it but tiles were delivered this week and don't think waterproofing people are coming back.

Edit: Figured out HIA standard changed and now builders don't have to waterproof the walls in the shower, just the joints and corners.
report from our QA inspector - "Walls to shower area have not been completely waterproofed. Walls should be made waterproofed up to a height of 1800mm."

Clarendon agreed that the quality could be improved and re-did the waterproofing as below.

vannpaul
report from our QA inspector - "Walls to shower area have not been completely waterproofed. Walls should be made waterproofed up to a height of 1800mm."

Clarendon agreed that the quality could be improved and re-did the waterproofing as below.

That's interesting. I'll raise it with the site manager and see.
I noticed your walls and ceiling corners are sealed but our aren't. We were told it's because we got full height tiles. Did you get full height tiles?
SnowLeopard
vannpaul

I noticed your walls and ceiling corners are sealed but our aren't. We were told it's because we got full height tiles. Did you get full height tiles?

yes
- full height tiles
vannpaul
SnowLeopard
vannpaul

yes
- full height tiles

Thanks for the photos. Spoke with the site manager and he said don't have to do all the walls. It's been approved and certified.
SnowLeopard
vannpaul
SnowLeopard
[quote="vannpaul"]report from our QA inspector - "Walls to shower area have not been completely waterproofed. Walls should be made waterproofed up to a height of 1800mm."

yes
- full height tiles

Thanks for the photos. Spoke with the site manager and he said don't have to do all the walls. It's been approved and certified.[/quote]
If you are in NSW I believe that meets their standards. Queensland has to have all the walls in the shower done.

we are building in NSW also. The difference that we wanted to stress to clarendon, that as an industry leader that promotes superior quality in their builds, that barely satisfying technical compliance is inadequate. as you probably noticed in some of the earlier shots, reaching the minimum heights in one small section of the wall and missing the rest altogether is not a 'fit for purpose' waterproofing treatment.

once confronted about the level of quality, I do commend clarendon on accepting this argument and rectifying the works.
vannpaul
we are building in NSW also. The difference that we wanted to stress to clarendon, that as an industry leader that promotes superior quality in their builds, that barely satisfying technical compliance is inadequate. as you probably noticed in some of the earlier shots, reaching the minimum heights in one small section of the wall and missing the rest altogether is not a 'fit for purpose' waterproofing treatment.

once confronted about the level of quality, I do commend clarendon on accepting this argument and rectifying the works.

That's exactly right. Waterproofing is an integral part and must be ensured that it's superior quality rather than bare minimum. It's not they have to go out of their way to waterproof shower walls. Extra 20 bucks worth of membrane applied by a few brush strokes by someone who's already there, don't think it's so hard.

We have emailed our customer service consultant. They sent us the waterproofing certificate but are also considering if it can be improved. Hopefully they will waterproof it.
MinandB
SnowLeopard
vannpaul
yes
- full height tiles

Thanks for the photos. Spoke with the site manager and he said don't have to do all the walls. It's been approved and certified.

If you are in NSW I believe that meets their standards. Queensland has to have all the walls in the shower done.

That's correct, it meets their minimum standards in NSW. Standards changed in 2010. Until then, all shower walls needed to waterproofed up to 1800mm. I wonder why would the standard change?
my understanding is that the NCC 2016 only requires shower waterproofing on walls up to 150mm and that up to 1800mm needs to be Water resistant (rather than water proof). builders are using villaboard as a 'water resistant' surface in bathrooms, which whilst compliant, is not ideal.
Hi all, couple of trusses sagged and ceiling in a bedroom bulged from the right hand side wall to almost the middle of the house. Trusses have been fixed and gyprock re-done. Site manager confirmed it's all fixed. But looking at the roof tiles from outside, few tiles aren't straight and look wavy. Is it minor or should I be concerned? Please see attached photos and I'd appreciate sharing your opinion.

Whenever i was concerned about something i tried to reach out to a supplier such as Boral to get an opinion...they might be able to advise if the uneven tiles will cause issues down the track...
SnowLeopard
Hi all, couple of trusses sagged and ceiling in a bedroom bulged from the right hand side wall to almost the middle of the house. Trusses have been fixed and gyprock re-done. Site manager confirmed it's all fixed. But looking at the roof tiles from outside, few tiles aren't straight and look wavy. Is it minor or should I be concerned? Please see attached photos and I'd appreciate sharing your opinion.

do you know what caused the trusses to sag ?
Related
1/10/2023
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

the stair balustrades? There is nothing special about these and I imagine literally every stair installer will be able to do this.

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum