Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who's building with Clarendon??

Page 876 of 929
Hi, I have a question about flooring. I am going in for colours in a few weeks and my boyfriend and I are butting heads about if we should tile or do laminate through the non carpeted areas.

I won't say who wants which but can I get some honest feedback on your opinions of these two choices? Particularly we are wondering what maintenance for laminate is like, as we both come from tiles homes. Also is laminate durable at all? E.g. Will it scratch easily if something is dropped on dragged on it like cutlery, plates etc

Thanks in advance
Hi Miliss
I went with laminate for all carpeted areas( i got 2 dogs). and left tile on the main living.

laminate flooring has come a long way. ones offered by carpet call, i remember the guy demonstrated by running a knife on a sample to show that it's not easily scratched. he just told me if there's alot of foot traffic with high heels, this may leave marks overtime.

compared to laminate, tiles are even more durable. it is easier to clean ex. if you spill liquid on laminate flooring, it may leak through the edges and down to the insulation film makes it harder to dry. , can pretty much use any product to clean (bleach and all). however in winter house will more cold because of tiles. laminate somewhat acts as insulator between the slab and your feet.

hope it helps.
Meliss
Hi, I have a question about flooring. I am going in for colours in a few weeks and my boyfriend and I are butting heads about if we should tile or do laminate through the non carpeted areas.

I won't say who wants which but can I get some honest feedback on your opinions of these two choices? Particularly we are wondering what maintenance for laminate is like, as we both come from tiles homes. Also is laminate durable at all? E.g. Will it scratch easily if something is dropped on dragged on it like cutlery, plates etc

Thanks in advance

Hi Meliss

We were tossing up between the two as well and ended up removing flooring from our tender and will be laying vinyl after handover. Laminate looks good, but was a bit noisy and any unnoticed spills can cause damage. There is also the matter of having scotia which we didn't like. We were advised against tiles as it does make the house very cold. Vinyl is hard wearing, quiet, waterproof and planks can be easily replaced if by chance one does get damaged
Meliss

Thanks in advance

Hi Meliss,

All material has its own pro and cons. Both laminate and tiles can last longer, its depend on its quality when you pick. Glossy tiles are looks fabulous but easy to get scratch, meanwhile Matt tiles are less attractive, but less visible when scratched. Cheap laminate is easy to get scratch, but good one is not.

There is no remedy on this, its really depend on yourself. Me and my wife went into win-win situation. Ground floor is tiles and top floor is laminate, but bedrooms are carpet.
wentworth33
Gambit79
To anyone building the Wentworth 33 or thinking about it. The stair design on the plan doesn't work as they have stuffed up the plans so that the powder room wall doesn't line up. They'll try and get you to change the stairs. I pushed them to keep the stairs and simple extend the wall to the top and create a ledge in front of the ballastrade of about 220mm
Just an FYI. They know their design doesn't work but won't tell anyone or fix it.

Hi Wentworth 33,
Can I ask you before making decision to upgrade both ceilings high in tender appointment. As Gambit said stair didn't line up if upgrading extra ceilings high. If I leave it 2450 high, does it look low? We had the promotion upgrade 2600 high ceilings. Thank you
Hi Gambit,

I am building wentworth 33. The stairs didnt line up because of your extra ceiling height.

They wont fix that. According to them, its not their fault as they have followed building code.

If you pay attention on the picture, there is gap without baluster which is causing safety risk, but again, they wont do anything as they have followed building code.

Technically speaking, your option is to go back to the original height ceiling (2.45m) or pay extra to put balluster at the top or leave it as it.
We went laminate for all downstairs areas and we love it.

KLB

Your overhead cupboards match that flooring perfectly ... I like the textured look too!

KLB

Hi KLB good to have u back after long time. .
How's everything been with your new home. ..

jess98
wentworth33
Gambit79
To anyone building the Wentworth 33 or thinking about it. The stair design on the plan doesn't work as they have stuffed up the plans so that the powder room wall doesn't line up. They'll try and get you to change the stairs. I pushed them to keep the stairs and simple extend the wall to the top and create a ledge in front of the ballastrade of about 220mm
Just an FYI. They know their design doesn't work but won't tell anyone or fix it.

Hi Wentworth 33,
Can I ask you before making decision to upgrade both ceilings high in tender appointment. As Gambit said stair didn't line up if upgrading extra ceilings high. If I leave it 2450 high, does it look low? We had the promotion upgrade 2600 high ceilings. Thank you
Hi Gambit,

I am building wentworth 33. The stairs didnt line up because of your extra ceiling height.

They wont fix that. According to them, its not their fault as they have followed building code.

If you pay attention on the picture, there is gap without baluster which is causing safety risk, but again, they wont do anything as they have followed building code.

Technically speaking, your option is to go back to the original height ceiling (2.45m) or pay extra to put balluster at the top or leave it as it.

Hi Jess,

I always go to higher ceiling. 2600 is the minimum, if you can do 2750 is better. Dont reduce the ceiling only because of a small matter.

In regards of the stairs, ask Gambit (check his message). he managed to get the stair designer to find the solution for him without any additional cost. Try not to sign stair paperwork till you are happy with it.
Hello has anyone had to do plumbing in the backyard need some advice what to do. ..
Like our block is cut to build the house which makes it uneven and the neighbour is saying that we have to put drainage around the house connect to drainage pipes any advices. ..

KLB

Hey KLB, I'm thinking of the same colour scheme as well! Just wondering as I read from your blog that you did flooring after - did it cost you just $700 for the kitchen guys to come back to fix up the kickboards? What about the skirting? Did you have to pay someone else to fix those up?
Hi any recommendations for good landscapers. ....

Mrs RS
KLB

Hi KLB good to have u back after long time. .
How's everything been with your new home. ..

Thanks Mrs RS
The house is very much still a work in progress. Finally starting to get some art on the walls which makes a difference.

Buildingourfirstnest
KLB

Hey KLB, I'm thinking of the same colour scheme as well! Just wondering as I read from your blog that you did flooring after - did it cost you just $700 for the kitchen guys to come back to fix up the kickboards? What about the skirting? Did you have to pay someone else to fix those up?

Yep we had to pay the $700, killed me to do it but I refused to have scotia!
Skirting we were supposed to do ourselves but after major dramas and us ending up getting floors done before handover due to their delays I made them do the skirting, we just had to paint it.

KLB
Buildingourfirstnest

Yep we had to pay the $700, killed me to do it but I refused to have scotia!
Skirting we were supposed to do ourselves but after major dramas and us ending up getting floors done before handover due to their delays I made them do the skirting, we just had to paint it.

Ah thanks. Prices must have increased since you built, because I've been given an estimate of $1000 plus for the kitchen guys to come back, and the cabinetry in my kitchen is the same as yours :/
Meliss

Thanks in advance

Hi Meliss,
So good that you asked the question. We are also still tossing up between standard tiles or standard laminates. We would like the look of the laminates and also they are good come winter. Only worry we are having is about the durability. Two young kids who often spill stuff on the floor.

Would love all the insights and would be great to hear more of your thoughts and findings.
Also roughly how much difference would it make if we want to upgrade to timber flooring? Or even better tiles?

Thanks
Hi all
As mentioned earlier I got my handover next Friday. I did my final housepct inspect on Tuesday. Mind you this was a mission it self. Ss didn't allow them to go in initially and asked them to wait until handover. But long story short I managed to get them in.

Warning: don't trust the Clarendons so claimed 200 point check before last two weeks of handover.
During my walk through I only saw paint touch up issues. But the report came back with many more small defects which I wouldn't have known.
Ex. Insulation on ceiling and sarking is not done properly.
Down lights holes not correct size. Cabinet minor damages etc.

Interestingly my SS asked for the report so he can give it to the handyman.

So I highly recommend getting this final report done on or before your handover.

ajedi2k
Hi all
As mentioned earlier I got my handover next Friday. I did my final housepct inspect on Tuesday. Mind you this was a mission it self. Ss didn't allow them to go in initially and asked them to wait until handover. But long story short I managed to get them in.

Warning: don't trust the Clarendons so claimed 200 point check before last two weeks of handover.
During my walk through I only saw paint touch up issues. But the report came back with many more small defects which I wouldn't have known.

So I highly recommend getting this final report done on or before your handover.

Great news ajedi2k that you finally your house is completed. ..

In regards to sarking and insulation as our gyprock has been done what is not done right. ...

I am so feed up with clarendon already can't stand their excuses. ..

Its good you are sharing your experience so that everyone is alert what to expect.

All the best with your handover. .

Mrs RS
ajedi2k
Hi all

Great news ajedi2k that you finally your house is completed. ..

In regards to sarking and insulation as our gyprock has been done what is not done right. ...

I am so feed up with clarendon already can't stand their excuses. ..

Its good you are sharing your experience so that everyone is alert what to expect.

All the best with your handover. .

RS. yes your sarking shouldn't have any issues at this stage however your insulation on the ceiling doesn't need to be perfect. They actually don't complete roof insulation until both aircon and electrical final fit out. Ie ceiling insulation is the last job on your roof.

I knew my one will have issues, eureka insulation guy was there past 7pm working in the dark, I can only assume he had a head light on. But obviously he missed the quality check after the final job.

ajedi2k
Hi all

Hi there,

Thanks for the advise. Can I ask who did your inspection?

Thanks
Related
1/10/2023
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

the stair balustrades? There is nothing special about these and I imagine literally every stair installer will be able to do this.

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum