Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Re: Custom Build @ The Summit, Mt Barker-moved in! pics p8!

Page 1 of 9
Hi Everyone! I'm a 6month old stalker who has now decided to start a new thread...hope I'm doing it right...
We are building in The Summit @ mt Barker. It is our 2nd build - the first was 9 years ago, and things sure have changed - especially the prices! I will post our plans soon.

We have just begun siteworks and our trenches are being done as I type - huzzah!

Will post more details when I have time to work it all out!

Slab 3/6/11
Frame completed 28/6/11
Windows/doors installed 29/6/11
Bricking started 29/6/11
1st fix electrical 1/7/11
roof on 14/7
gyprock complete 22/7
tiling complete 2/9/10
kitchen and cabinets
Bullnose on 20/8
Stormwater complete 24/8
Welcome noelz - you are among friends!! Who are you building with?
Oakford Homes - really happy thus far - much better than the company we built our first home with...we have a handover date of 18th November...and counting!
The story so far -

I LOVE building and about 2 years after building our last house I was keen to do it again - to do it a bit better. Well 7 years later I (and family) are doing it! We bought our block at the end of 2011, 1037m just opposite the golf course, and am VERY excited to see a start on the block.

We sold our house after being on the market for one day (wooHoo!) and have been in a rental for 6 months. It has been a long 6months waiting for a start but Oakford is very good at building at a good pace so I know it will go very fast.

We are building a 4 bedroom, plus study, with 2 living areas and a lovely big ensuite.

Upgrades: kitchen bench to diamond gloss with square edge
heat pump
sensor light in pantry
75cm oven and cooktop

Here is a picture of our block

Hi Noelz,
Congrats on your new home & especially in such a beautiful place, I love The Summit. Your plans look great, I like that big storeroom, are you getting cupboards put along that wall?
Wow, I can't believe your house sold in 1 day with the current market, that's awesome.

Looking forward to watching your build, love looking at custom designs!

Here is our plan.

We are planning to put cupboards down the smaller side of the storage area Broom, and a console table (for keys, bags, phone chargers etc) on the other side with storage underneath for school stuff, shoes, anything that you need when you go out to the car.

I LOOOVE the storagey bit - coz as we have 3 kids there is so much stuff to bring everywhere and I need a dumping area near the car!

Re the selling - it was a total miracle - they even paid the price we put on it and didn't negotiate - that was about September so probably just before everything went a bit pear shaped on the market...
That's a great block - love the gum trees. Great plan, I believe in the luxury of a stunning ensuite - fantastic idea re the store, it will be so nice having a dumping ground and will take so much stress out of living in your new home. A place for everything and everything in it's place certainly rings true doesn't it??
love your plan! and your block is a very nice size!

well im jealous of your storage areas already
Thankyou! It took such a long time to meld together all the different designs I liked AND work with the encumbrances on the block!
The only thing I hate about building (apart from the time it takes to build) is all the compromises you have to make to keep a reasonable price - I would have loved ceasarstone benchtops but just couldn't afford it, Another living area would have been good - and then i realised you have to get a grip, my parents house is much smaller than this one so i shouldnt be complaining about benchtops!
noelz
Thankyou! It took such a long time to meld together all the different designs I liked AND work with the encumbrances on the block!
The only thing I hate about building (apart from the time it takes to build) is all the compromises you have to make to keep a reasonable price - I would have loved ceasarstone benchtops but just couldn't afford it, Another living area would have been good - and then i realised you have to get a grip, my parents house is much smaller than this one so i shouldnt be complaining about benchtops!

You'd laugh at us - we are supposed to be "down sizing" but this house is huge for 2 people - the garden is the only thing that's shrunk
McLaren - beautiful house though...I had a little peep last night, LOOOVE the kitchen, but keen for more pics!
noelz
keen for more pics!

Me too!! Well you'll have to be patient - we're locked out and it's up to DH to take them when he can get in during the day - I was lucky yesterday that people were working there so he got in!! I just get to look through grubby windows on the weekend
Well I have now been plumbed and plastic-ed - hopefully mesh will go in tomorrow - who knows I might have a slab early next week...stoked!!!
Meshed! Im told our company pours slabs on Fridays - so here's hoping tomorrow is dry. I have explained to the weather that it would be inconvenient for us to rain, so im pretty sure it will be dry
Well we are due some showers today - fingers crossed they miss Mt Barker!!
nice plans.. love the design

if you neda quote for any work you need to have done..
Pugs - Not sure if i do, probably doing some cabling ourselves - thanks though!
Hey Noelz, glad to see you have started your own thread, WELCOME. I must admit I am stalking your build already, picked the kids up on Tuesday and dragged them to the estate yet again. Not that anything is happening at our site yet but I did go and have a look at yours. Love you plans. How lucky were you to sell so quickly. We had our house on the market at the end of Nov got a contract it fell through subject to sale then they sold a week later and bought another house. But we have sold now less money but hey in this climate lucky to have sold at all. can't.
I am glad I have a stalker! I really should have started this earlier - I needed someone to talk to to about selection etc and my husband was useless! Thank God i found this site - I have stalked so many other builds to get ideas...now it's my turn to give back!

I Hope to get to the Summit tomorrow to get pictures of the slab - we have photos of them pouring today but there were so many trucks we couldnt get a decent shot. Totally desperate to walk around on it.

What a bugger about your house - but at least its gone now - onward and upward - when will you start your build do you know?
noelz
Pugs - Not sure if i do, probably doing some cabling ourselves - thanks though!

not sure if you know or not but data/ phone you will need to be licenced to install it.. as it is a protected industry/ Ilegal if you don't have your licence to install it.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1685
Related
3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

9/10/2023
No Interim Occupation Certificate - NSW but moved in

General Discussion

Hi Simeon, Thank you for laying it down for us. Makes sense. Appreciate it very much. Have a nice day. Cheers

2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum