Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Certification - during construction

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone

Was wondering if I should be concerned:

I have asked my builder for the details of the private certifier that will certify the certain stages of my home. their response:

"We can not give out details for our private certifiers, if you have any questions relating to certification it is best to speak to your supervisor. The certifier produces certificates on only certain stages and a copy of these will be forwarded to you as soon as we receive them."

I would imagine that we will find out the details when we get the first certificate but I wanted to know that they are INDEPENDENT.

I have a relative who does prepurchase building inspections (existing)for a living who said I needn't do my own inspecting (it would be a waste of money) as long as the certifier is independent.

From what I have read on this fantastic forum I am not sure that is quite right. I wish Kevin was in Brisbane!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opinions would be much appreciated.

Anne
Anne, at the end of the day, i'd get someone (your friend) in anyway....they may be independant, but guess who pays for them???? Your builder!!!!

At least get, pre-plaster and pre-handover in my opionon.... As you have read, it should/will be money well spent!!!
We had to sign a form saying it was US that had engaged the services of the inspector our builder arranged. The inspector said it was a requirement that a builder not be able to specify a private inspector of their own choosing to avoid the sorts of things you are concerned about.
Anne, I don't think that it is any way unreasonable for you to know who is the Certifier/ Building Surveyor for your new home.
Personally I would be making serious noises to get that information. Failing that, as the owner, you can request from council a copy of the approved plans which will be stamped by the Certifier.
On the face of it the whole thing sounds rediculous for the name of the Certifier to be withheld
Agree totally with ausdesign. It's ridiclous that the builder won't tell you and you can find out for yourself from council. Once someone pays for someone's service, there is no indepenedance regardless of what anyone tells you.
M3tricon Homes Queensland use Queensland Building Consulting Group.

If you PM me your address I can confirm if they are the certifier using Caboolture Shire Council's Planning and Development Online site.
or you could give them the url and let them check theirselves...

http://pdonline.caboolture.qld.gov.au/m ... fault.aspx

property enquiry, enter your street name and suburb, select your lot then under applications look for the BW or PD application, the form submitted/faxed to the council should have the certifiers name and contact details
I could have done that, but InfoMaster is not very user friendly.

The applicant for Building Works approvals and Plumbing and Drainage approvals is almost always the certifier.
Thanks Damo & Home Review for this info, it has however got me a little concerned: when I do a search with our details it says there is no applications recorded against this property. I know our plans were certified by Suncoast Building Approvals so I would assume that they will do the other inspections. Should I be concerned that there is nothing on the council website?
we got some sort of form with our contract that stated who the cerficater was just had a look but cannot find it it had a name.I would still get a inspection due I will be
Related
29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

5/12/2023
Frustration during Construction Phase

Building A New House

sorry wrong thread - deleted my post

20/06/2023
What's unreasonable to check during a final inspection ?

Building A New House

i would suggest nothing is unreasonable for PCI. we did all sorts, including checking the hot water, checking all the GPO's had power, testing that the showers were…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum