Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Re: Ferny Retreat - fit-out.... nearly done!!!

Page 1 of 1
Well, here's a bit of background on our build.

My wife and I had built back in 2002 with Hallmark Homes in an estate not far from Ferny Grove. We liked, nay, loved our home. Although we had a couple of kids as is prone to happening and as they grew so did both their voice boxes and their sense of entitlement. And they're not even 7 yet! Basically, the design of the house was lacking a few things, plus it back onto a road that was virtually untrafficked, but was getting busier every day.

I had a friend nearby who had bought in a new estate half a kilometre from where we were, and it got us thinking that we could up and move (for what we would like to consider our last move for 20-ish years) and not extend ourselves too much. More on that at a later time though...

We missed the boat on the first stage of the estate we had our eyes on and the second stage was taking forever and was probably out of our price range, we started looking elsewhere. We stumbled on a block that was an acreage block that have had a few blocks subbed off the front. We made an offer and now own a chunk of land.

It's flattish, with a bit of a rise at the front. It's a smidge over 600 square metres. The tress you can see are on the remnants of the acreage block which now sits behind on a battle-axe configuration thingy.

All this time while looking for land we had looking at house designs. We had a wishlist that we wanted to get, otherwise there really wasn't a great incentive to move. These were:

* Separate area for the kids
* Big pantry
* Better Kitchen layout
* Separate TV room
* Kids room not directly opposite each other

So we really went the opposite way that's recommended - we chose the house then picked the land to suit it. We'd actually narrowed down the house to 2 or 3 designs before we'd even sold our previous place!

In the end we plumped for Plantation Homes' (also known as Henley) Retreat 18m Q2. The only changes we made to the design was to make the walk-in pantry larger.

Well, that might do for a first post.

http://fernyretreat.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... anvas.html
So I though I'd share colour & stuff, as it's the part of the whole process that I enjoy the most.

Our last place was rather beige and we wanted to avoid this so we've tried to keep things crisp and clean.

Floors & Walls:

For the walls we've chosen Taubmans Snowy White with dark timber-look laminate (Embelton Lemon Scented Gum)

We're doing laminate through all the bedrooms and kitchen as we have dust allergies in our family.

Kitchen:

The whole crisp and clean thing we're trying to extend into the kitchen. So it's more white here with a pale blue-green splashback. Benchtops are Quantum Quartz Luna White, Cabinets are Polar White (silk finish) Laminex:

Bathrooms:

Still a bit of white in the bathroom with Gloss White tiles on the walls and Polar White on the cabinets, but we've gone for a QQ Mocha benchtop and a grey tile:

Tap & mixers. These are different between the ensuite and main bathroom.

Outside:

We're planning on rendering later on, but it's probably one of those things that we'll procrastinate on it and do it 5-10 years down the track, so we had to be happy with the outside in the interim. Bricks are PGH Perisher, Woodland Grey roof, gutters and Monument fascia

Front Door & garage:

And finally here's our actual house plan:

Here's a question for anyone reading. We've been told we need to install timber retaining walls. I'm assuming that they get installed between the site scrape and slab pour. Is this correct? We haven't been assigned a site supervisor yet, so there no one to ask yet.
Mazisto
Here's a question for anyone reading. We've been told we need to install timber retaining walls. I'm assuming that they get installed between the site scrape and slab pour. Is this correct? We haven't been assigned a site supervisor yet, so there no one to ask yet.

Hi Mazisto. We have recently built the Retreat 20m Q2 & also had to have retaining done down one side of our block. With all of the rain through December and January our retaining took a little while longer than we would have liked, but we had it done after the slab was poured but before the frame was started. They had to hand the site back over to us while it was being done (which was thankfully over the xmas break) & they won't do any work during that time, so make sure you're organised. It's very precious time!

I love the Retreat & look forward to following your build!
Oh, I also just want to say that I really like your bricks as well. I have a thing for bricks, unfortunately the ones I wanted were an additional $8k, so we went with group A Hotham & I love them! Very similar look to your Perisher I think.
Hey thanks for the feedback, we've got a few quotes on the retaining walls, but I don't want to call any of them up until a site supervisor tells an approximate date. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Retreat!!!
Was contacted by the site supervisor today. Earthworks tomorrow and all things going well should have the roof on by the end of the month!!! Woohoo!
Mazisto
Was contacted by the site supervisor today. Earthworks tomorrow and all things going well should have the roof on by the end of the month!!! Woohoo!

That's very exciting for you! Everything happens so quickly at this stage. We've been having some beautiful weather so I hope it continues for you!
Well, things have started moving and not only is our block cut, but we now have all out sewerage and stormwater connected. Slab to come this week.

Due to the slope on the driveway and Brisbane City Council regulations of maximum 1:4 slope, we have a sunken garage with a drop edge beam. Was a bit surprised they didn't excavate for the whole thing, but I'm assured by the Site Super that the slab guys will do it themselves.

To my pleasure there's a large pile of fill at the front. Am hoping it gets left on site as we'll be putting retaining walls at the front - the less fill I have to buy the better.
Well things are moving quick. Part of me thinks it's a little too quick.

Anyway we're now up to the roof.

Bricks next week and gyprocking booked after that.
Wrap's on, termimesh done. Bricks going on early next week. We've been blessed with the weather lately. If the bricks get done early this week, there shouldn't be much holding us up from then!

Wow, looks like you are steaming ahead there. Can't wait to see the pictures of your bricks when they go up, we have chosen the Perisher ones too so it will be great to see what they look like out of the showroom.

Keep us posted on your progress
Ask and ye shall receive!!!

Bricks up:

...and sheeting done!

It's looking fantastic. I really like your colour, fixture and fitting selections. Looking forward to following your build.
Wow, looking great! Congratulations

Everything has gone up so quickly! I can't believe they are already onto the plasterboard. You'll be moved in before you know it.

The bricks look good too, I'm glad we share such fine taste
So, a bit's been done in the past week.

Gyprock is all finished, cornices are up and the doors & frames have been delivered. Rainwater tank has come too. But best of all, the cabinetry has gone in!!! The place is now locked up, so I had to take a couple of ******* iPhone pics from outside in the fading light this afternoon but here they are:

Front Door

Tank

Ensuite

Kitchen
Apologies, I'll resize the pics later
Has been a while since I posted , but we haven't been inside much.

But we're keenly awaiting a handover date. There's not too much more to do inside. The sparky should've finished today. Really happy with how it's been going. A few photos:

Your home looks really lovely!! Great choice in colours! Your kitchen reminds me a lot like mine

All the best on getting a quick handover date
I love the look of your house! Thanks for sharing. I know it was a while ago, but if you haven't rendered it yet could you please post up another picture? We are thinking of getting pretty much the same colour scheme, PGH Perisher bricks with monument roof and guttering and a wood-look garage door. Any photos you have of your house would be really appreciated.
Related
31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

6/03/2024
How would you fit 2 showers and toilets in this space?

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is the current bathroom with a european laundry. Overall internal dimensions are 3.69 wide and 3.65m deep, including the footprint of the laundry. There is a toilet…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum