Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Post contract variations

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

a quick update of where we are at. Everything has gone smoothely re. the admin side of the process. We have signed our contracts and have all our permits. We are ready for a site start in the next week pending we return our final drawings. We have chosen to put a void in one of our walls as a feature, now the more i look at it the more i don't like it. Unfortunately we were told for us to remove it, it would be an expensive exercise (about $3000). This sounds unreasonable high considering everything is still on paper. What are others experiances? My friend told me they can charge this much because contracts are signed, and we can fill the wall after the build if we really hate it for less than the want to charge to have the drawings changed.

stuey.
Does your contract state how much they charge as a variation fee?

I wouldn't think $3000 sounds correct as wouldn't it be easier for them to not have a void in the wall?

Ask them exactly how much the variation will cost so you can make an informed decision.
You can always not sign the variation if it is too expensive.
Was there any charge for putting the void in the wall?
Our builder will charge $1000 as admin for any addition on deletion after the contract. We would like to have couple of extra power points plus some minor changes which we will talk to site supervisor and electrician. I reckon u try talking to ur builder if not then wait and talk to ur site supervisor to get it fixed
That sounds unreasonable, ours is only about $250.00 for any changes. I agree with abraham, speak to your SS about it. Our SS is great, skip the admin and go directly to him.
Related
23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

26/03/2024
Variations on Fixed Price Contract

Building A New House

So AFAIk the outcomes of the BAL ratings form part of a clause that allows them to pass these costs on to you. However the more relevant detail is how did it go from 19…

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum