Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Error with slab!

Page 1 of 1
We recently had our slab done. Looked OK, neat, as it should be. Up to frame stage now, and this is where it gets interesting... have just noticed that the frames are done according to measurements, which expose an error in the slab. One of the corners has been cut short, so we're missing a sizeable portion of what should be one big slab. This is a significant corner, as two walls will be resting on that one corner - a corner where the frame is now hanging in the air and there's nothing solid underneath it. We've already paid for the slab, too!

My main question and concern is whether the builder can fix this error (or so it should be fixed, as the bricks on the outer wall can't be done properly, unless they're resting on something solid), and more importantly - how they'll approach the problem. My guess is they'll "fix" it by using the cheapest and fastest possible option (whatever that may be), compromising the foundation of that part of the house. In my anger and frustration I keep thinking we should refuse to pay for the frame until this problem is fixed, but don't know how realistic I am with those thoughts... and whether it's doable at all.

The supervisor is meant to be visiting the site at every stage, supposedly checking that everything's going well. Obviously he either hasn't noticed this (yet that's his job!) or he hasn't got the balls to ring us and admit an error's been made (the most probable scenario), suggesting ways how this can be fixed, and calmly reassuring us it'll all be fine.

Does someone have experience with this sort of a problem, and what can be done/said to fix it, without too much fanfare???

They extend the slab
Yes, Eve, that's obviously the most logical solution, but it's become a more difficult thing to do now, as the frame is already up on the slab. I'm mostly worried about the quality of the fix.
Nope. They drill support rods into face and inject concrete to a new form. Seen it done many times. Requires sign off from engineer.
Seeing as this is the contractor's stuff up, this shouldn't be costing us anything extra, right?
Correct, not your fault, not your cost.

Perhaps I could add:
Re-setout the slab for the missing bit.
form up,
'Dowel' 12 mm deform bar at 250mm centres into the existing slab edge.
Provide a termite barrier,
lay plastic, add mesh tied to the dowels, put chairs under the mesh, then pour the required slab.
Should it have happened? No! ..but does it happen, yes sometimes the measurement are not checked and re checked.
Best of luck BTW which state are you in?
The_Matriarch
Seeing as this is the contractor's stuff up, this shouldn't be costing us anything extra, right?

Poor you... I don't think that you should be penalised by the builder's error... If that does happen, you should report it to the consumer rights... Hope they will fix this for you soon. Yup, where are you building?
SA. Things were supposedly going well... until this! And we're only just starting.
A bit of luck and your troubles will end

It is ok and can be fixed.
Though it shouldn't have happened, but it did.
Same thing happened with us, but it was the slab not meeting the inner course of bricks. They filled the gaps but never put the angle under the window frame where the slab didnt go under it, instead they layed carpet directly over the gaps
Another story in itself but here are some pics, all expect the gaps under the window frames were fixed.

Related
13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

8/06/2023
Slab low

Building A New House

I have the civil/drainage plans, what am I looking for?

12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum