Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Knockdown and building Henley's Talise Q2 - We have keys!

Page 8 of 16
Congratulations on all the progress Chatz and Mrs Chatz! It's looking fantastic!

I know what you mean about the 2 storey a few doors down...not very attractive, is it?!

I hope everything continues to run fairly smoothly for you. You'll be in before you know it!!

OH, PS, Have you still got all the unused bricks? I let my SS know I wanted to keep the 6 pallets that remained, but the very next day they were taken away during a site clean. I was not happy. I then had to go and buy more from Daniel Robertson's myself. Still waiting to do the fence....good luck with that...Councils can be picky with fences (applying for dispensation for anything over 1.2m high, and it depends a lot on what your neighbours have too.)
Stormy,

Thanks!

We asked Henley as soon as it became clear there would be some bricks left over (only 2.5 pallets) and they were happy to leave them. For that many bricks it may not have been worth their while to pick them up. 6 pellets of Daniel Robertson's is a different story. Ours are sitting right at the front gate.

We are not planning a very high fence, especially with the park opposite, but the bricks we have may not be enough. Still I'm sure it will make a difference and allow us to do the fence sooner than later.

Chatz
Hi Guys.. Nice, very nice...

You guys are screaming along, you have overtaken us on the outside, and are catching up fast on the inside!!
They were fitting the door handles today..
Photos will be on the blog by the weekend bud..

Cheers
G
i am so jealous! absolutely counting down the weeks right now.... i am so tempt to book a holiday but i keep remembering how much everything is going to cost after handover

Mr and Mrs Chatz - your bricks look delicious

G - we'll get there soon
We passed by on the way to work this morning and the bricks have been cleaned around the front too:

The painters were inside and everything that I could see from the front door has been painted. We have gone for quite white walls until we have had a chance to live in the house, then we might paint another colour in some rooms.

Chatz
I went to the house this morning hoping that a tradie was working and sneaking a look inside, but it was all quiet.

The garage was all painted so I could easily see the wall colour against the white of the roof, and it looks great. It is not a yellow cream while at the same time its quite light and easy on the eyes. Very happy. This picture does not do it justice.

The west side leading to the alfresco is looking good, but the hot water service and fireplace are still to come. We really like the paper bark windows with the mortar colour.

The big surprise today was to see the alfresco painted, both the panels above the doors and the pillars. Till now we weren't sure what was going to happen to those metal posts.

Around the other side the garage door is now painted:

We can see inside the laundry door to see all the walls and doors are done. We are assuming both coats.

The downpipes are sitting in the study ready to be installed around the house, the connections to storm water are already there.

The expansion joint has been fixed by cutting through the brick that spanned the gap:

You can really see difference in the bricks from the cleaning process. Here is the picture from when they were partially clean:

and here it is fully clean:

If the painting is done, then I assume the rest of the floors aren't far away?

Chatz
Hey guys
Your place is looking amazing! It's coming along so quickly that you'll probably be finished soon! Apparently at our place they are cleaning bricks this week and starting painting.
We recently just got all stone bench tops installed...and they look sexy!

Trudy
By the way, we asked our administrator when we could expect handover and she said she is not allowed to give that kind of info??? How annoying. She won't even tell us if its this yr. So we r basically judging our date based on how far away we r from your stage.
Trudy,

Our SS had been far more forthcoming, but still off the record with his estimates.

Chatz
Some off the record info would be great.

How long ago did you guys start having your bricks cleaned? We r starting that process today.
They started late the week before last, so it took about a week to get around the whole house.
You have really caught up to us if they are starting your bricks now!

Chatz
hey chatz

i went to the house yesterday and there was a tradie there who was finishing up some skirtings around the house and doing a massive clean up in preparation for painters to arrive "some time this week" he said. the brick cleaning hasn't started as yet, but should happen this week.

on my way out, i noticed so much rubbish in our front yard ready to be thrown out.... and in all the rubbish i found some beautiful pieces of Caesarstone offcuts! I picked up one MASSIVE piece (the size of the boot of my car) and 2 other smaller pieces (cut outs from the double vanity in the ensuite). I think they will make for some AMAZING table tops later on.... we will give them to a guy to make either side tables, bedside tables, or even a sofa table.
SCORE.

trudy
Trudy,

Excellent find, I like your idea of using them for table tops!
So far the only thing we have salvaged are the left over bricks that we can use for the front fence.

Chatz
Wow Trudy, good score! Never occurred to us to have a good look through the tossout piles. I know someone who used the cutouts form their benchtops as stepping stones in the front yard!
Oh, hi Chatz, working hard I see.
He he he
it looks like we have hit a really slow patch. we went to the house today. tiles were delivered and sitting in the dining room. also, toilet rolls, cabinetry handles etc. delivered too, but nothing new done to the place.
from your blog, looks like your tiling was already done by aug 19th! i just really hope we can get in there before Christmas.

Trudy
Trudy,

Some of the slow patches we have had is when Henley are doing quality checks and getting some tradesman back in. Happy for them to be fixing problems immediately, always better and easier than once the house is built.

Chatz
Hi,

Went to the place yesterday and bricks were being cleaned. They have cleaned the whole side and front of the house. Also, the tilers were there ruling the wet areas and said they would be done by Tuesday.
We're very happy with the progress. We r still waiting on our administrator to get back to us about the hole in the floor though!

Trudy
Latest update - all bricks cleaned and house is ready for part render. All the ruling is finished throughout and it looks great! I think the next part to come is the paint work.
Related
18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

10/01/2024
To Knockdown and Rebuild or Renovate?

General Discussion

if the original house is in good condition most of what you listed could be added in stages without the need for KDR and costs and disruption of having to live elsewhere…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum