Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Steel Frames

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Deciding whether to build with a steel frame or wooden frame. Another builder told me that you can hear creaking noises when the steel frame is heating up and cooling down. Just wondering if anyone is living in a house with steel frame or has some answers as to whether this is true.

Thanks
Meve
Quote:
Another builder told me that you can hear creaking noises when the steel frame is heating up and cooling down.

Was this a builder who uses timber frames by any chance?

Have lived in steel frame home for over 2 years, no noises with temperature changes

Do a search on here, you will find old topics where others say same.

I beleive it may of been a problem with steel frames in very early days when they were joined together differently - riveted or not riveted, I think

Anyway, certainly not the case now.
Welcome to the forum meve
...it's a question that's been asked a few times, some answers I found using the search functionality of the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=437
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42601
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42602
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41081
Related
29/05/2023
How I lost $100,000 and why I will never use steel frames

Building A New House

That sucks! Hope it all works out. Good to move away from steel anyway for all your reasons, but it's also thermally poor.

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum