Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How long should a slab cure before framing?

Page 2 of 2
Phillshz
I was told by the concreter they will allow my slab to cure for 5 days,on the 5th day the frame was stood. The frame is relatively light and the weight of it on a slab would be negligble. The weight comes with the bricks and roof tiles sitting on the frame and by the time thats completed your slab would have had plenty of time to cure.

I see your point but the frame is not light, it’s extremely heavy and never less it’s applying pressure to the slab. Imagine the weight if it’s a double storey house!
Hey guys,

walked past a builing site (by a major builder) and inspected a slab which was recently laid. The build is at frame stage... take a look.

small crack slowly turn in to bigger cracks resulting in stuck doors and cracked walls
A single storey frame, especially without roof trusses is relatively light. In fact you'll find that a human standing on the slab will be exerting more force per square inch than the frame.

Erecting the frame a few days after the slab generally won't cause issues. It's the weight of the roof (especially tiles) and then the bricks that will cause massive weight on the slab.
correct!

So long as it is just timber framing and NO bricks.
Phew! Thank guys for easing my mind.

We are currently looking at around 10 days between slab pour and roof tiles going on. So far nothing has been delivered directly onto the slab and the weather has settled for now - hoping for no more hot dry days during this curing period.

Fingers crossed we dont end up with the crumbling ruins I was imagining a week ago!!

Arena
Just bumping this thread along
If the slab has been cured for 5 days there is NO problem putting a frame on it.
If there was, I would tell you
Building a double story house with PD. Day after our slab was poured the ground floor has been laid with timber framing. Next day the first floor was up. Now the house is near completion and only last week we noticed crack in study, lounge and main bedroom as other areas are already covered by tiles.
I've been watching the house behind me being built by one of the better known volume builders. Yesterday the slab was laid. Today the frame is up. And it isn't particularly warm weather here in Melbourne. Would the slab even be dry? And to put up a frame you surely have to walk on the slab?

And when does the surveyor do the slab inspection?
Concrete is at 65% of its strength after 7 days and at 40% after 3 days.

Considering that the weight of framing is insignificant in comparison to overall fully loaded house weight, setting up framing after 3 days of curing the slab at the normal temperatures (i.e. NOT very cold and humid) should be quite fine, but it give 5 days just to be sure.
alexp79

Considering that the weight of framing is insignificant in comparison to overall fully loaded house weight, setting up framing after 3 days of curing the slab at the normal temperatures (i.e. NOT very cold and humid) should be quite fine, but it give 5 days just to be sure.

Hey Alex

Good advice.

We try and wait 1-2 weeks at least as when we are dynabolting structural steel and frames down we feel that it's better to let it cure a bit longer.

For driveways we wait 7 days before driving on them just to be safe

cheers

Simeon
Ashington Homes
alexp79

Hey Alex

Good advice.

We try and wait 1-2 weeks at least as when we are dynabolting structural steel and frames down we feel that it's better to let it cure a bit longer.

cheers

Simeon

Yes, it makes sense to play on a safe side, but as I said, a lot depends on the weather - e.g. curing during winter and curing during summer heatwave are 2 different processes and the former takes considerably longer to reach the same strength than the later.

For driveways I would wait even longer, as the load is relatively high because it is concentrated.
alexp79
Ashington Homes
alexp79

Hey Alex

Good advice.

cheers

Simeon

Yes, it makes sense to play on a safe side, but as I said, a lot depends on the weather - e.g. curing during winter and curing during summer heatwave are 2 different processes and the former takes considerably longer to reach the same strength than the later.

For driveways I would wait even longer, as the load is relatively high because it is concentrated.

very true Alex, weather conditions play a huge role.

I think you are right, we should wait longer but often we cant
Related
10/11/2023
Slab to framing

General Discussion

STEFF62 Framing should be fine, but he will only be able to nail the baseplates in, I wouldnt think you can dynabolt them after 24 hours. My question is, how is he…

2/01/2024
Framing question

General Discussion

You have not employed legitimate carpenters that is with oath

14/01/2024
Framing on floor joists

Renovation + Home Improvement

Houses have been framed on floor joists since settlement, chipboard flooring is only around for 50 years or so, so why would it not be satisfactory? However exercise skill…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum