Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Noisy steel?

Page 2 of 2
steel frames making noises is just another one of those myths that gets thrown out there.

I've lived in one now for over 18 months and had temperatures ranging from 0degrees to 45 degrees.. and have not had one noise..

and as far as a fire going through my house.. the last thing I'm going to care about is whether the frame burns or buckles.. I'll just be getting out of there asap! and let the insurance company work out the repairs or rebuild.
take2
We just finished building a steel frame home, as we are on a slopping block the house is on a single level at the top and double at the back. IT DOES NOT CREAK IT IS NOT NOISY AT ALL. It did not bother us if we built with steel or timber but the builder wanted to build a steel frame home so he asked if he could do so on our place.

Cheers Lou

Yep we have a 2 storey steel frame house and it is less noisy than our last house which was timber frame - we get no noise from the steel at all ever.

JB
mek
Hi Jordan, I've read somewhere that steel frames make a lot of noise not just with the wind but also when a house cools down at night. Also their production apparently is not environmentally friendly as they cause a lot of green gas emissions while being made.

Hi,

Timber frame houses creak too.

Cheers
Hi we recently moved into an existing 2 story steel framed house that is about 12 years old. The floor was known to creak and we assumed the flooring material needed refixing.

After investigation however we found that it is actually the steel joists that are creaking (steel webbing fixed with screws). This issue is not isolated to one part of the house but over the whole second floor (Ie manufacturing / design issue)

Does anyone have any suggestions as what could be done to rectify this?
Martinu
Hi we recently moved into an existing 2 story steel framed house that is about 12 years old. The floor was known to creak and we assumed the flooring material needed refixing.

After investigation however we found that it is actually the steel joists that are creaking (steel webbing fixed with screws). This issue is not isolated to one part of the house but over the whole second floor (Ie manufacturing / design issue)

Hi Martinu. Did you ever get this issue resolved, or any updates?
I'm having a similar issue in my property. I've also sent you a PM.
yesplease
Martinu

Hi Martinu. Did you ever get this issue resolved, or any updates?
I'm having a similar issue in my property. I've also sent you a PM.

Hi yesplease,
Did you find any solution? I am facing exactly same issue with creaking noise downstairs from whole 2nd floor from the steel floor inside. The steel webing is fixed with screws.
As it has been said previously, the main reason for steel to cause noises is its thermal contraction during diurnal temperature changes, especially, in places where outside temperature between day and night can be significant. Generally, this has to do with poor insulation of the house, considering that steel frame is facing outside and there is no external insulation attached to it, you will be always doomed to deal with this issue.

The only solution I can see here is to insulate steel frame from the outside and not in between the studs, as it is usually done.
alexp79
As it has been said previously, the main reason for steel to cause noises is its thermal contraction during diurnal temperature changes, especially, in places where outside temperature between day and night can be significant. Generally, this has to do with poor insulation of the house, considering that steel frame is facing outside and there is no external insulation attached to it, you will be always doomed to deal with this issue.

The only solution I can see here is to insulate steel frame from the outside and not in between the studs, as it is usually done.

Thanks for your help. For me the issue doesn’t seem to be the thermal contraction, as I am getting continuous and consistent “clicks” type noises downstairs when someone walks upstairs regardless what time of the day or temperature. As per my observation, it seems to be coming from steel floor joists which are flexing, because these sounds are more prominent in the areas where there is no support wall downstairs. Builder had a look and said will check with the steel frame company if they received any such complaints from their other houses too and if yes, what did they do.
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

18/10/2023
Noisy soffits

General Discussion

Hi, I have a double and whenever the wind picks up I can hear alot of banging in certain areas of the house. I've had a look round and can't see any obvious issue but…

3/12/2023
Sliding door to bathroom noisy

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks Chippy . Did also see a YouTube video before. Removed them . Thanks again for the advice.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum