Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Out of my depth!!!

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I am new to the site, although I think I have spent a solid fortnight reading up on everything I could find.

My husband and I are in the process of/ planning to buy an acre in the Macedon Rangers where we plan to build the DFH Hartley 321.

It sounds great, reduced stamp duty, $26 500 grant from the gov because it's a new home in a regional area and a perfect home we don't have to renovate when we can afford it in 5 years time.

But..... I don't where to start, hopping around this site I feel like everyone is speaking a different language with progress payments and construction loans and colour choosing and Ahhhh!

And the scariest part is that the planning permit has expired and the real estate have told me they are happy for me to make an offer subject to planning permission if I do it myself.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you see any gaping holes in my plan please let me know!

Bex x
Hi
Before you do anything I would check what the original planning permission was for to see if it meets your requirement.
I would then go and talk to the council who will give you a good idea what will get approved.
Once you are happy with that you can make an offer to lock the price in.
You can then apply for permission- as you don't own the land when you apply you will need a letter with your application saying they agree to your application.
Bex, welcome to the forum, it sounds like you are in the right place. what a gorgeous area of the world to be building in

Good luck with your offer; bashworth has given some good advice there.

here's a handy thread also: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5823

would love to see any plans you have come up with already. And it's great that you have discovered H1 now, while you can still make changes to your plans.

have fun!
Oh my gosh! Thank you Bashworth, that was such and prompt and excellent answer to a question I didn't know I'd asked I will contact the council on Monday.

Donuts, I have been obsessively stalking that thread over Christmas, it is brilliant. And thank you for the lovely welcome.
Hi,

Not sure exactly where you are building in the Macedon Ranges but it would also be worth finding out what the Bushfire Assessment Level for the location is. Depending on the area this can substantially increase your costs.

Michelle
Related
22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

29/10/2023
Sewer line minimum depth in NSW

Building A New House

Hi, only for walking. It is a narrow 1.5m paved area next to house.

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum