Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

In by Christmas - just wishful thinking?

Page 1 of 1
Met with our builder this morning. He says that once he's done a moisture test on the floorboards (due to be delivered today) he will be able to do up a timetable and estimate the finish date.

Just trying to summarise where we're at:
- The plasterer just finished this morning but architraves and skirtings are left to do, doors to hang.
- Floorboards need to go down
- Shelving to be built in cupboards and wardrobes
- Bath is installed but waterproofing, tiling, bathroom fitout all still required
- Electrician required to fit lights, fans and powerpoints
- Kitchen and vanities to be installed
- Interior to be painted, plus some minor external painting

My gut tells me that to be in by Xmas is a big ask, especially as the floorboards need to acclimatise. Am I right to stay pessimistic at this point or do you think I should start getting my hopes up that we'll be in by Xmas?

How long is a piece of string again?

Kylie
Hi. That sounds like a lot still to do. I would keep being pessimistic, and expect that you won't make it in by xmas. We've only got the painting, driveway, basins and toilets, mirrors and shower screens to go, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up. But, it really depends on your builder. They might be able to get that all done before xmas.
Related
18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

9/08/2023
Will we make it in for Christmas?

Building A New House

Not sure who you're building with, but I moved in recently to a 11month scheduled, 8 month actual build on the South coast/Illawarra NSW

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum