Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Bay Build - Moved in Pics page 7 & 8!

Page 1 of 9
Hi Everyone!

I found h1 a couple of weeks ago and I am soooo glad that I did!! So much great information and a great place to share with like minded people (I see others love looking at plans as much as I do!)

So I thought I would share my build, I am looking forward to getting heaps of advice and hopefully being able to give some aswell.

We have bought a block of land in Hervey Bay, Qld. It is 1/2 acre block and it settled last week.

We are building with Hotond here in Hervey Bay and we are so happy with our builder so far - he has been great in helping us get the plan we want.

I think we are now just waiting for council to approve and then hopefully we will have some action on our site.

I would love opinions...

Original Plan:

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h425/BayBuild/House/IMG.jpg

Our Plan:

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h425/BayBuild/House/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h425/BayBuild/House/IMG_0003.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h425/BayBuild/House/IMG_0001.jpg
Welcome!!!

What a lovely big block you have!

Your house plans look great. One little suggestion I would have is to make the robes in bedrooms 2 and 3 run the entire length of the wall. I have a bedroom that has a little cut out like that, and it seems like a bit of a waste of space... I cant think of anything to put there (although mine is smaller than that). Although if you have kids you could put a little desk there? hmmm.

Has picking colours started driving you mad yet?
Hi Ms Builder!

Thank you for the welcome - we love our block and are already picturing the kids running around on it.

With the robes in beds 2 and 3 (which will be our 2 boys bedrooms), we did think about making them bigger but we have left the gap and will build the boys a desk each at some stage.

And colours!! AAHHHHHH
Doing my head in!!
I just can't picture how the outside of the house is going to look. We are having a mixture of brick and cladding and I know what I like but don't know if it will work!
I think just about everyone knows how you feel!

When you think you have them sorted, you should post some examples of your colours, so many people in here have a wonderful eye for colours! But above all, sometimes you just need to trust yourself. Everyone goes through the same thoughts, but it always seems to pull together in the end, and with render and walls, well you can always paint them again
Thank you - and will definitely post colours when I have it narrowed down to a couple instead of a dozen!
Your family room looks like it's going to be hard to furnish?
Hi YBBroker - Looking at the size of rooms on a plan is something that I found really hard to do.
We measured out most rooms and compared to what we are renting at the moment and think we should be ok.
Worst case - I will be forced to go furniture shopping (
)
That's a fantastic floor plan. I love it, so different from your norm and looks easy flowing and functional. Looking forward to watching it grow.
Thanks kpatch, can't wait for something to start happening on our block!
Ok - I am after some colour help please!

Inside I love the Dulux colour Hog Bristle (full strength) and I want to do that with white (maybe Dulux Peplum 1/4 strength) doors, cornice, skirting etc. There will be one colour through the whole house (I might do some feature walls when we are in) and most of the house will have timber floors (don't know colour yet).

What I am having trouble deciding is what colours for the bathrooms? The main bathroom, I was thinking white wall tiles and a darkish floor tile (I like grey colours but don't know if that would work with the hog bristle on the walls?). Then I don't know what to do the cabinetry in? So what colours for tiles and laminate colours work well with a wall colour like hog bristle?
Hi Baybuild, I was looking at your plan yesterday. You are going to have so much storage space. I'm sure it wont take long to fill it. I don't think we ever have enough spaces to store things. What a huge block of land. I'd get lost on that. You will have to buy a sheep or goat to keep the grass down. lol...
My brother had a goat in his suburban back yard because he was too lazy to cut the grass. No family though. It did a good job till it carked it. Poor lonely goat.
Kaytee
Hi Baybuild, I was looking at your plan yesterday. You are going to have so much storage space. I'm sure it wont take long to fill it. I don't think we ever have enough spaces to store things. What a huge block of land. I'd get lost on that. You will have to buy a sheep or goat to keep the grass down. lol...
My brother had a goat in his suburban back yard because he was too lazy to cut the grass. No family though. It did a good job till it carked it. Poor lonely goat.

That's a great idea with the goat, I'm thinking of getting one for my 885sqm because dh is not fond of the lawn mower
Would that be enough to feed it?

BayBuild I love how you have changed the kitchen from the original plans and I love the pantry and store room. What are your plans for that little bit outside the storeroom? I terms of colours chose one thing you love and build from there. We started with the tiles and worked our way up from there, it seems to have worked.
Hi Baybuild. Great floor plan you've got there, and a nice sized block. I think everyone has doubts about their colour selections. I was concerned about ours, and only started to relax once I saw it all coming together. Thankfully for us, our original bathroom selections were discontinued, so we had to pick new ones. We are much happier with our new selection. Good luck with your colour selections, and the build.
Kaytee

Love storage - love for stuff to be put away somewhere!
about the mower goat!
I struggle to keep the goldfish alive so don't know how I would go with something bigger!
Fallen_Apple
Kaytee

That's a great idea with the goat, I'm thinking of getting one for my 885sqm because dh is not fond of the lawn mower
Would that be enough to feed it?

BayBuild I love how you have changed the kitchen from the original plans and I love the pantry and store room. What are your plans for that little bit outside the storeroom? I terms of colours chose one thing you love and build from there. We started with the tiles and worked our way up from there, it seems to have worked.

That was my Mum's idea to move the kitchen and then it all just fell into place (she is good at thinking outside of the square).
The store room is for my craft stuff and the bit in front of it is a study nook. It has one full wall with some overhead cupboards and the other wall will be 900 high (I think the plan above says 1200 but that has been changed.)

I wanted somewhere where I could do some bookwork or some craft and still be able to cook dinner and watch tv and keep an eye on the kids outside and didn't want to be shut off in a room.

Other half got his shed and I got storage and my study nook!
carlswil
Hi Baybuild. Great floor plan you've got there, and a nice sized block. I think everyone has doubts about their colour selections. I was concerned about ours, and only started to relax once I saw it all coming together. Thankfully for us, our original bathroom selections were discontinued, so we had to pick new ones. We are much happier with our new selection. Good luck with your colour selections, and the build.

Thanks carlswil - I'm just finding colours scary 'cause you look at such a tiny sample.
Your tiles look good - I like the border tile in the bathrooms.
lovely plan. really well thought out:)
great spot for your craft and your store craft cupboard..whaoaoao! What a great home you will have, good luck
Hi All,
Well still nothing new for us - waiting for council to approve, so just thought I would post a picture of my block.

And these are the cabinet makers drawings of the stuff he will be doing:

Love the trees. Do they stay and are they on your land? Like the cabinet configs, esp the study one.
Kaytee
Love the trees. Do they stay and are they on your land? Like the cabinet configs, esp the study one.

Thanks Kaytee - I am really excited about the study part.
With the trees - yep they are ours and yep they are staying. In my first post one of the pictures shows our block and there is a section at the back of the block marked conv. c, well all the blocks in the estate have part of them that is under covenants that means no trees over 3 mtrs can be cut down and you can't build anything on that section.
So the photo of my block shows our trees - our rough plan is to just thin out all the undergrowth and replant with stuff we like. Also to the right of the photo you can see a white roof which is the neighbour directly behind us.
Related
3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

9/10/2023
No Interim Occupation Certificate - NSW but moved in

General Discussion

Hi Simeon, Thank you for laying it down for us. Makes sense. Appreciate it very much. Have a nice day. Cheers

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum