Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How often do you visit your site?

Page 29 of 37
We visit at least once a week.

Although we are moving to the estate soon, so I expect we would visit most days.

I'm an owner builder and we're at paint stage, so I am there almost every day. We also live 7kms away so that helps.
We are doing our own works on the block atm so going down once a week, We hadn't been down for 2mths untill 2 weeks ago and we have 1 new neighbour nearly at lock up stage and last week another has started footings, We should have 4 in our estate by the time ours is complete.
i'm within walking distance of my block of land and drive past quite often to see how other builds are progressing. i love seeing other people walking through the frame of their houses and see their excited kids. ive only just signed up but i'd probably go there at least every few days once work starts but i wouldnt want to annoy any tradies that's for sure!
We started to visit our block once a week since our neighbours started construction, because their tradies started dumping garbage on our land
We do photo any movement on their block near our borders.
Photos clearly prove that Saturday that sewage shaft in the corner of their block was covered by a round cap, the next Saturday the shaft demolished and the cap is on our land, along with other garbage. Plus they leveled their block creating slope on our block... And all this is "accompanied" by the fact that they put their fence seizing 2 metres of our land...
The builder refuses everything

They say that somebody else (not they) demolished the shaft, somebody else put create a slope on our lot and that all our accusation is based "on assumptions"...
How annoying it is... What a bad builder our neighbours selected... (our other neighbours has no such problems with constructions having started on adjасent lots)

You never know, what builder your neighbours select...
We should have erected our fence once they started construction, it may cost $500 per month, but now it would be less nervous...

Advice: fence your lot
I'll be visiting every day. Lucky for me i live in 5-10 min away from my site, so makes it much easier. any reccomend taking pics at each stage?
Every day or 2nd day
I was visiting every couple of days, but with daylight savings over it's always dark before I leave work so it's pretty much once a week on a saturday morning for the next few months.
When visiting our site, does SS normally allow us to talk directly with the tradie?
We were visiting our vacant block every couple of weeks.

The when I got a call to say they had started piering we were very excited. Then the slab was down within the week.

Wow, excitement plus!

Then..........................................nothing!

Slab been down for a month. Apparently the frames were delayed. A coincidence that the SS was away for the past 3 weeks..maybe.

Frames are supposedly arriving tomorrow, however I really dont want to go just in case they are'nt there. I'm about to flip my lid
We've been going down every fortnight or so. It's started to get exciting as other stages have titled and building is commencing. It's interesting watching everyone elses houses go up.

Hoping we will start building within the next few weeks then I will go down every weekend. I would like to go down during the week but by the time I finish work and get to the block, it's too dark
first world problems!
My land doesn't title for another year, but I go down once a month to see other estates coming up around my estate.

The closer it gets, I'll go down more frequently. Unfortunately, I live 20km from my proposed block's location and the hours I work make it difficult to get down during the week. I'll definitely go every weekend when I start my build.
I visit it every weekend.
Visit our empty block every couple of weeks, mainly to see how the other builds are progressing was a completely new street when we bought in Feb

also impatiently waiting to see if the vacant block directly across from us will be a single or double story lol hoping they dont block our distant view of golf course

when build starts ill prob be their daily maybe every second day
I'm more hopeless than I even expected. We're at formwork/almost slab pour and I've taken to visiting three times a day - once on the way to work, once at lunch, and once on the way home. It does help that it only adds at worst 2 minutes to my drive though.
We live behind it as there is two houses on our block and we did a knock down rebuild on the front house.

So I pretty much watch it all day as I work early mornings and nights
and have a walk around once all the builders have gone for the day.
I slowed way down in winter but with the days getting longer I can tell I'll be back to daily drive bys soon!

I visit everyday. We are lucky that we currently live close by.
Its well worth it because I have picked up a few issues that can be corrected fairly quickly before too much work goes on and covers issues or makes it difficult to get access etc to.
I am about to start and I visit my block about 3 times a week if I can. Really just a drive by to make sure that no one has dumped anything there and all is tickety-boo.

I have had a security fence up since Easter and it is amazing the liberties people think they can take with your land. Its call trespass and is illegal but they don't seem to care.

In one instance, I turned up to my block to find my security fence on the ground and the clamps had been removed so that the builder next door could store his building materials on my land. Its happened again since then with them putting their bricks on my land and removing my fence again. Both times i've reported it to the Police and they haven't done anything which has been really disappointing.

This is in addition to all the fast food waste, coffee cups, pizza boxes and beer bottles they left behind. Some one even decided to dump their clothes, an unwanted printer and one crutch on the site. Put simply, people can be grubs and will use your land as a dump site if it suits them. This is when it becomes your problem.

My advice to anyone with a vacant block of land is to make sure you fence it. Don't pay $500 per month. Go to a hardware shop or on eBay/gumtree and buy the temporary fence panels, feet and clamps and put it in yourself until the build starts. Even if you just cover your frontage and some of the side, its better than nothing. You can use the fence later, rent it to another unbuilt block or sell it on again but at least you will have some peace of mind.
We have been visiting our block every couple of weeks, increasing more now as we are heading towards pre-start. Messing about working out where we want the house and other items on the block. Not sure how often we will visit once building starts!
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum