Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Townhouses in Melbourne, Advice?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys, I was scouring the web looking for tips and advice for building a new property but all I found was formal, dry, regulated information!

Thankfully I have stumbled across this forum, firstly I want to acknowledge the creators for providing such an in-depth resource, it looks like there is plenty of knowledgeable and professional people on here, so thank you.

Apologies if this question has been asked, but I'm basically as amateur as you can get. In short a few years ago I purchased a home in Melbourne's Northern Suburbs (Glenroy) with a hope to know it down and put multiple dwellings. 4 years on I've finally got permits to build 2 double story and 1 single story dwelling.

Elec & Gas meter's have been removed and the house will be demolished in the next few weeks.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone can give me any advice on choosing the right concreter, carpenter, bricklayer, plumber etc. Or point me in the right direction.

Do I need to be careful with any of these tradies. I understand all workmanship is important, although is the concreters work crucial, or perhaps if the plumber screws up am in trouble etc?

Is it always better to use registered and qualified people? I have spoken with quite a few carpenters and bricklayers of ethnic backgrounds who seem to offer the most competitive prices significantly, although they generally don't seem to be registered to the full extent a master builder is or the equivalent of that trade. No offence to anyone ethnic here, I'm as ethnic as they get!!! In saying this though these guys are building so many properties so they must be good at what they do right? The other option is reputable builders and tradies who have credible work histories but there price is a clear premium compared to these other guys....

I basically want to keep costs minimal and achieve a good quality of workmanship as I plan on keeping them as rentals.

I know I'm being very broad here but I'm just looking for some sort of checklist and some genuine advice from people who have basically built a home and dealt with a variety of tradies. It seems as though the price can blow out real quick and you may not end up with a quality built home.

Thanks again for the opportunity and I look forward to any advice you can provide guys.

Cheers, Alex
Do you have plans? Are you going to project manage the job? That will be a big ask if you don't have the experience. I'd be looking for a building company to take on the job rather than trying to manage different trades.
I'm assuming you have your planning permit from council. Do you have the building permits yet? Reason why I ask is that you say that you are an amateur, I'm guessing that you are not a registered builder and if you are sourcing your trades, you haven't engaged with a builder (as that is the role of the builder).

Your post sounds as if you are owner building. If so, it's important to note that owner builders cannot build more than one dwelling (so no development sites).

Can you clarify so that further advice can be given?
Hi Alex, Minx is right in what they are saying. Its a hard thing to do, any development in fact, esp if you have never done one before. I am in the middle of doing the subdivison and the building is something not even I will take as owner builder. Its a process that is best left to the pros. In building contracts there is penalties and assurance on time frames and a fixed price building quote is really the only way that you would be best getting the price that you want from a builder.
I would really suggest that when you get the plans of your dwellings or when you get your budget and site plans, you find a few builders or go to the Builder Broker in your local area and they can get the specifications from you and get it to the builders for quotation.
The price is relative to the product that you are wanting and the time frame. Remember time is money.
Hi guys sorry about the delay posting, never have internet with TPG!

Minx - Your right, i have permits to build from council and yes not a registered builder. In saying this though my father is helping me with the project, hes done this in the past but in a different council. Ive got to admit, i'm in way over my head. There are so many steps involved for getting anything done.

The house is being knocked down as we speak and should be completed shortly. I'm just waiting on the engineers drawings to get quotes from the relevant trades people. In saying this maybe having a builder manage the project is a better option? I have my father their but he is not a builder also. He has explained to me that we can select our own trades people and have them do work then find a registered builder who will approve everything. He's done this in the past so i assume this is OK?

If you have any thoughts let me know. Its all a little confusing and as Builder77 put it, Time is Money!

Thanks in advance. Alex
Related
18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations - Melbourne

Building A New House

I do enjoy the drama:-D In his latest two videos he has started bringing security guards to site, I am waiting for the punch on to begin lol

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum