Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our custom build in the Barossa - Guided Tour Anyone?????

Page 1 of 25
Hi, my time to start a thread of my own!!

My husband and I with our two boys are very much looking forward to starting our custom build with Rendition Homes. We have purchased 4 acres in the Barossa Valley SA. 2 acres under vine.

We are building a 4 x 2 single storey brick vaneer home with a design that we started designing about 12 months ago and had completed by a building designer. (I have an aircon plan in a pdf doc but I cant work out how to post as it is not an image!! - Will try and sort that out.)

We signed the intial work contract at the end of June and have just gone to council for planning approval.

In the meantime though we have had our site plan, shed and cellar approved. so that means we will start our site works in September! Cellar is ordered and being made (prefab) and when that drops into the big hole (3.5 x 3.5m) we will erect the shed!!! Very excited to finally have some shelter at the block.

So will be keen to share our experience and still hear lots about all the other SA building projects going on.

Cheers,
Rebecca
OK her are a few pics......

We have riesling and grenache....

Some of the views.....

And our plan. Sorry about the aircon layout.

Wow - your houseplan is amazing - can't wait to see it go up !

And your block, well....
nice plan..
love the floorplan Rebecca, look forward to following your build
Looks really great
I will be following your journey as well
Hope it is a smooth one
Wow, thats an amazing place to have a house! Looks beautiful!
your land looks gorgeous. Great floor plan.
thanks guys - cant wait to actually start something!!!!! Been a long time planning.
Hey Rebecca,
WOW Great plan looks awesome
Cant wait to see if come together.
WOW a retreat AND a walkin pantry AND a store

I think I want to build your house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are your colors?????
Brick???
Roof tiles/ colorbond?????
More info pretty please

And I love the vines

How big is the house????
Keep posting those pics please us Pic piggies love them

Cheers Janet
Still to do selections but we are thinking something like PGH caffe latte http://www.pghclay.com.au/Bricks/Default.aspx?ItemId=71
with slate grey colourbond roof and a coffee colour render (yep, love my coffee! lol)

Will post an elevation pic when I get one.....or when I get a scanner!!!

Total size of house is just under 400m2 (edited to say that includes the alfresco!) - the meals/living area is about 9x9 to give it some perspective!
Your plan looks great... love the layout.

can't wait to see more.
Bec - your design looks great! Am so glad that it is finally in the process.
WOW..... 4 houses going! You are one crazy woman hahahahaha (I mean that in a good way
The plans look great
Hey Jess - just reread your reply. What I meant was 1 house. 4 bedroom by 2 bathroom!!!!

Anyway, latest news is that we have approval for our waste water management system and have planning approval for the house!!!!!! YAY.

As we already had planning and building approval for our site plan (including shed and cellar) our site excavation starts on Wednesday!!!! YAY - Must take some pics before that starts and during the process. Will post them later in the week!!!!
How exciting Bec! Definately get some photos before they start excavating as it is amazing to look back at the progress. Cant wait to see the progress as it unfolds. Have they said how long they think your build will take? I was abit like Jess and thought you were building 4 houses!!!
rebeccaT
Hey Jess - just reread your reply. What I meant was 1 house. 4 bedroom by 2 bathroom!!!!

Anyway, latest news is that we have approval for our waste water management system and have planning approval for the house!!!!!! YAY.

As we already had planning and building approval for our site plan (including shed and cellar) our site excavation starts on Wednesday!!!! YAY - Must take some pics before that starts and during the process. Will post them later in the week!!!!

lol ok
well, we had had some bad news on Friday. I house wont meet the new 6 star energy level requirements......as the builder has taken their time about getting to council for development approval (got planning approval a few weekes ago) and it has now past 1st Sept which is the date for the new 6 star energy requirements, it looks like we will have to remove our gorgeous alfresco area. Apparently it is heat loss that is the problem as we dont have enough north facing windows that will hit the winter sun for heat retention!!!!!! Apparently though we will be able to erect a pergola after handover.....?!?!?!?!

Getting a second opinion over the next few days but I have been feeling quite down about this, and feel like the builder didn't take their time in the early stage (getting the council for planning) we would have not had this problem. I cant believe noone told us this deadline was looming!!!

Feeling v. sorry for myself but will try and cheer up and hope for good news during the week.
rebeccaT
well, we had had some bad news on Friday. I house wont meet the new 6 star energy level requirements......as the builder has taken their time about getting to council for development approval (got planning approval a few weekes ago) and it has now past 1st Sept which is the date for the new 6 star energy requirements, it looks like we will have to remove our gorgeous alfresco area. Apparently it is heat loss that is the problem as we dont have enough north facing windows that will hit the winter sun for heat retention!!!!!! Apparently though we will be able to erect a pergola after handover.....?!?!?!?!

Getting a second opinion over the next few days but I have been feeling quite down about this, and feel like the builder didn't take their time in the early stage (getting the council for planning) we would have not had this problem. I cant believe noone told us this deadline was looming!!!

Feeling v. sorry for myself but will try and cheer up and hope for good news during the week.

I am so sorry to hear that Rebecca. I would definitely be furious about this
I know from the Rendition forum and from my experience with them, that they take AGES in the planning stages....
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum