Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Show me your retaining walls

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys

I am in need for some ideas of how to design my retaining wall on the right side of my property as the fill is quite high - 1.4m drop from the fill to the boundary. So any photos of your retaining wall dealing with the side of your house and how you designed your retaining to flow with the front e.g. planters, fences etc. would be great. Thanks

This is how the site is currently looking

Hi Bagheera,

Were you looking at DIY or outsourcing the job?

The 1.4 m height will be the killer as your council will more than likely want to see an engineers opinon and specs on any proposed wall.

My sugestion would be to seek the advice of a qualified engineer to guide you in the correct direction.

All the best

Leonard.
Hi Bagheera,

I don’t have advice on retaining walls, but just wondering if you got compaction tests done on your fill? Just doesn’t look very well compacted. You can see where the roller has pushed up the fill and where you want to place your retaining walls.

I would think you would need a minimum of 95% standard compaction.

Cheers
Hi bicko123

Yes a compaction test was done. The sand is still a long way from the boundary so we will have to add more sand after the retaining is done - the boundary is actually in the middle of those hibiscus bushes in the last photo which will have to be cut back - but that's another issue.

The distance between the garage wall and boundary is 4.12 m.

Don't think DYI is an option due to the sheer size of the wall but I'm looking at ideas as doing it as a 1.4m wall seems to be quite expensive. The way some guy told us that he will do it is start with 4 blocks at the bottom then, 3,2,1 and another 1 with added cement behind each block where the fencing posts will be drilled in. Is this the standard way of doing such a retaining wall with limestone blocks?
Depending on the aesthetics you're hoping for, panel and post walls are considerably cheaper than limestone block for 1.4 m of retained height. Or you could go with something like Keystone blocks with geogrid reinforcement in the soil.
Related
22/05/2023
Urgent!!! Bathroom walls

General Discussion

Render your bathroom walls, two opinions versus the one, makes you wonder.

30/05/2023
Rendered cladding walls cracks

General Discussion

The spacing of the studs looks pretty large especially for a load bearing wall.

23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum