Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Footing report...AARRGGHHHH

Page 1 of 1
Hi there everyone,

Have just received a call from our builder, it seems our soil is 'ED' which is really bad, so footings have blown out to just under $20,000.00.

I know that E = highly reactive, but havent heard of ED before (although thats where I'll be taking hubby when he hears the news...).

Anyone heard of this class, and had to pay this type of cost?

Look forward to your replies,
Donna.
Is your builder going to send you a copy of that report?
Hi Donna,
i haven't heard of ED type, where in adelaide are you building? our footings ended up at $55,000 and we are building in maylands!! needless to say we almost did go to the ED as you suggeted

Helen
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/wimre ... on%208.pdf

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/EA9910609.htm

Hope this helps.
Michelle
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/wimregn.nsf/pages/natres_soil_kalkee_1-8/$FILE/kalkee%20plains%20section%208.pdf

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/EA9910609.htm

Hope this helps.

What the...????
" grass tetany related deaths in cattle "
We are building at Aldinga Beach (near the beach, so you would think there would have been a bit more sand would'nt ya... :shock: ) in the 'Bayswood Estate'

WOW, $55,000.00 I'll stop whinging now. All of a sudden 20,000.00 does not sound so bad.

Yes Michelle, the footing reports and such are in the mail.

Oh well, could be worse, although there go the upgrades (do doors, windows, bricks and a roof count as upgrades...)
Sorry to hear this.
Exhorbitant site cost because of the soil condition is really scarying many people, me included.

If you do not own the land or not yet sign building contract, simply find another better block of land. Surely you dont want to spend that hard earn $$ just for the footing!!!

Have you check with alternative opinion from other structure engineer?
ozn
Hi we are building at Aldinga Bayswood estate. Our consultant allowed $10,ooo for footings. He said the fottings reports were comming in a fair bit under that. I hope he was right.
when myself and wife looked at building with porter davis they offered a free soil/ site test/inspection on any land we were looking at on the presumtion we would build with them
Hi there dj,

What street in Bayswood are you building, and may I ask who you are building with? Are you building a family home or villa? this may affect the cost (bigger m2...).

Would be interested in your reply, we may be neighbours...
Hi adlse
We are building through Sterling homes, a traditional houme at Chartreuse Court. We were building through another company before but three months down the track were told that the house (house and land package) would not fit on the land. That house was vey large and we were quoted around the same for footings. Sterling Homes Have been great by the way but I would not trust the other one they were very rude and did not even say sorry just told to go away what do you want it dosent fit or take a chunk out af the middle, anyway things are going better now. I hope they were right with the footings quote though.
Hi there dj,

Let me guess, Salesman's initials SP from Statesman...

We too looked at a house and land package with him and the house was to big for the block of land they advertised it on (he had no clue...).

He was an absolute nightmare to deal with. We ended up building the same house on a different block with a differant saleswoman who has been excellent. Could'nt rave about her service enough. Statesman have also been excellent to date. I think we just encounted the salesman from hell.

We are building in Aquamarine Ave, so maybe your street if far enough away from ours that you have escsped the crappy soil...

Will look out for you when we are in the area.

Donna
Not sure what those other links provided are all about but ... E means extremely reactive NOT highly.

CLASS 'A' - Little or no ground movement
CLASS 'S' - Slightly reactive sites
CLASS 'M' - Moderately reactive sites
CLASS 'H' - Highly reactive sites
CLASS 'E' - Extremely reactive sites
CLASS 'P' - Problem site

The "D" means that there is deep moisture changes greater than 3m. E-D represents an extremely reactive soil with deep moisture changes.

I would not be building on that land.
Hi
That is the salesman, He was very abusive and head office were not much better. I have heard of a house being built and the carport was on the nabours block so I guess im lucky I found out before they started building. It seems to be a commen thing for them, need more training
Related
19/05/2023
PVC pipe through footing

General Discussion

yep sounds good make the footing bigger to to allow for the pipe in the middle

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

18/01/2024
Soft clay in footing

Landscape & Garden Design

I've dug some footings to embed a post anchor into. My holes are around 450mm deep which I'll put a 200mm stirrup into. The bottom of these holes seem firm enough. …

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum