Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Brick veneer - missing 2 rows of bricks below sliding doors?

Page 1 of 2
Hey guys what are peoples thoughts on missing 2 rows of bricks beneath external sliding doors?
I am assuming the bricks could be left out due to future concreting or decking requirements as it would allow for joists to sit directly on the external brickwork and not on a bolted on ledger.
But what I have seen on some houses being built around me, is that all that is being done is some cement sheet is fastened to the slab, inside the cavity as it would be, but I see gaps where insects and mice could easily enter the wall cavity and as such the house.
Would it not be better to have the brickwork go right up to the sliding door floor level, just below the aluminium frame?
Whether they be rows of brick like normal, or placed on there edge like under a window (lintel?)
Any thoughts?
What’s there at the moment? NOTHING?
Are the doors in yet,and what’s holing them up if so?
hi miagi,
sounds strange. can you post a couple of photos so we can see what you mean.
Helen
Hi Miagi,
I think I know what you mean. Our sliding doors are in, and they are in the framework (so inside the brickwork). I have noticed on the plans that it shows that it is "filled" under the sliding doors on the outside. I know at my parent's place they have had concrete filled in the gap, but I wouldn't be surprised if they filled it with cement sheet or the like.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what they put there...

Ray.
we have a gap between our sliging doors and the bricks under them its about 15mm full length of the door, we thought it was just ours but houses in the street with different builders have the same thing, i'm guessing they are just going to fill it in with the same colour cement motar thats in between the brick
Apparently the bricks are missing to allow for concrete to be washed right in to the window.
If building a deck the joists can be load bearing directly on the brickwork.
I think it allows rodent access to the cavity and my builder has agreed to brick it up.
I will dynabolt on a ledger to allow for joist load bearing in the future.
All good
Pic

[img]

This is the only forum in the god damn world where adding a picture is a major pain in the ***.
Could the moderators please make it easier, because its REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ I am sick of this, this whole forum exists so that people can share pics and views but it is made so hard to do just that.

If somebody could point me in the right direction I might stick around a little longer.

I had this same problem some time ago, and I am sure I am not that stupid.!!!!!!!!!!!
End of RANT.
try again

Allowed Extension Groups and their Sizes
NOTE:
You are normally allowed to attach files within this Forum,
but since no Extension Group is allowed to be attached here,
you are unable to attach anything. If you try,
you will receive an Error Message.

And what is this CRAP about?????????
hi miagi, I upload files using a site called http://www.photobucket.com.
1. Get yourself a username and password (it's free)
2. You can then upload photos from your pc, mobile phone, url or video to your photobucket account.
3. Click browse, locate the item on your pc and click open.
4. Then click the upload button. It's very quick.
5. Once uploaded to your account, scroll down and it shows you in your own little "album".
6. Others might do it differently but i tick the box of the item(s) i want to upload then
7. scroll down the page and click [generate html and img code]
8. The copy and past it into your post for homeone.

If you want to add a web link. Click [url] then add the link, then click [url*] again.

Other people use different programs, but try photobucket. its pretty easy.
If you have any issues, let us know. Hope to see some pics soon...
miagi
Pic

[img]

This is the only forum in the god damn world where adding a picture is a major pain in the ***.
Could the moderators please make it easier, because its REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ I am sick of this, this whole forum exists so that people can share pics and views but it is made so hard to do just that.

If somebody could point me in the right direction I might stick around a little longer.

I had this same problem some time ago, and I am sure I am not that stupid.!!!!!!!!!!!
End of RANT.

Miagi,

The issue here is that Homeone cannot host pictures for you.

Continually trying to post them here will result in failure every time.

Please post to photobucket (or similar) to show people your pics...
miagi
try again

Allowed Extension Groups and their Sizes
NOTE:
You are normally allowed to attach files within this Forum,
but since no Extension Group is allowed to be attached here,
you are unable to attach anything. If you try,
you will receive an Error Message.

And what is this CRAP about?????????

Follow Phoenix's advice... oh and take two of these and call me in the morning..

See... not that hard to post pics.
It might seem a little long winded when you start, but it's really easy. I can upload a pic in under 30 seconds.

PM me if you have any issues with uploading or if you don't understand what i have written here.
Thanks guys for the info, I will go the photobucket way, my ugbox account wont work here.
I feel better 2day thanks to the chill pill

post some pics later 2night.

Love it…… poor miagi, wait till you try do an Avatar!!!!
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd286/miagimadcat/IMG_1415Medium.jpg
Can’t believe your builder was going to leave that!
The side bricks aren’t even cut straight.

Good choice getting them to finish it.
Looks like they are leaving a spce for the bearers of a decking to me.

Have all the windows had their sills bricked in yet?

If not they may be waiting for some 1/4 bricks to get the right height...
Hey great job posting the pics, miagi. Maybe the builder is going to cut the bricks in half and morter them in like a step in the bottom corner of this picture? .
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee299/matthewnathan/7febb4e2.jpg
Ask them to clarify that for you a.s.a.p
Nice BIG photo phoenix!!!!!
Yep all the window sills are bricked.
Builder has agreed to fill in the missing rows.
Left out for Decking or concrete pour.
Didnt like it so when I questioned the vermin possibility they said they would brick it up.
And so they should.
But its very commonly done, but not good enough in my opinion.
Thanks guys.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd286/miagimadcat/IMG_1270Medium.jpg
This pic is 6weeks old, at completion now.
Related
27/02/2024
Veneer bricks 30 y.o. house - 3 courses under grade

General Discussion

Interesting. You have great clearance to damp proof course all the way around which is rare with so many cowboy landscapers and concreters. Is there sufficient fall…

21/05/2023
Replacing brick veneer?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Great advice, thanks Alex

27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum