Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

OUR BIG BET - H3NLEY Vs CLARENDON - WHO WILL WIN??

Page 1 of 5
IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookiemonster and I (**Phoenix**) have made a bet.

Mark is building a Springwood 2 storey house with Clarendon in Kellyville, Sydney and we are building a 36sq Cottesloe single storey house with H3nley in Berwick, Victoria.

Our blogs are:
http://thehouseofcookies.blogspot.com
http://herestohealthwealthandhappiness.blogspot.com

Come along and enjoy the ride.

The goal: who will finish first?
The prize: A DVD of the winner's choice.

Have fun!!!
Can I come over the winer's house with BYO Movie DVD ?

:p
Henley 100%

It is a single storey...
mattwalker
**** 100%

It is a single storey...

Yeah.. i think Im stuffed.. only Melbourne weather can save me.
Ya..guess Melb will have no stoping rain for next 4 month. :p
I agree with Matt, single storey will definitely be faster...

So if we all bet **Phoenix** will win and X months later she did win, does this mean we all get a DVD from her??
Come on folks - you're all talking quality - now you want speed - and the 2 are very difficult to merge - until you get an expert team then price comes to play.
So make a choice. Just don't expect them all to be in the one package unless - well you know the answer.
Steve
I'm gunna have to go with H on this one.

Why?

Well I don't know enough about the big H.

However, everyone I know who has built with Clarendon in Sydney has had delay after delay - the 9 month KDR promise for my mates parents became 51 weeks (they'd only leased the neighbouring house for 1 year!), and others have taken a long time to get going.

That being said though, apart from a few tiny little petty issues, not one of them have any real complaints, and the quality level of the finished product is very high.

I'd much prefer quality over speed.
Yeah, I reckon whoever wins should have to win with fewer than x defects at final inspection time, otherwise the extra speed is forfeit because it was a slack job.

--Mike
Im not concerned at all about how long it takes to build. As long as it's a quality job. The bet is just for a bit of fun on the side.

And in the poll - even I voted H*nley.
Should we not have abit more info here - square meterage of each house, and maybe $ per M2 so we know what we are betting on

Steve
JEEEEZZZ!!! You guys are taking it too seriously...

It's just a bit of fun. Unless everyone is betting on us as well, then I'd like to know what our odds are???

Of course we both want quality over speed. Although must say living with parents isn't fun, long term

Cookie, i don't care who wins or loses, let's just have fun and post our updates on this page with some pics to show progress.

My status is:
Plans sent to developer for approval on Tuesday this week - hopefully 2 weeks for approval?
Then apply for building permit - hopefully another 2 weeks?
Then i am not sure how long to site start?

Anyway, if it makes any difference, our house is not standard, we have a lot of upgrades and if you don't already know by now, i am a pedantic person, so nothing is going to be "rushed" if you know what i mean.
I will be employing the services of an independent inspector, maybe Kevin, to look at possibly pre-plaster and handover stages for us - so that might slow it down too.

So i'm still game if you are, Cookie?
The building process is stressful enough, let's just have some harmless fun with it along the way....
**Phoenix**
JEEEEZZZ!!! You guys are taking it too seriously...

It's just a bit of fun. Unless everyone is betting on us as well, then I'd like to know what our odds are???

Of course we both want quality over speed. Although must say living with parents isn't fun, long term

Cookie, i don't care who wins or loses, let's just have fun and post our updates on this page with some pics to show progress.

My status is:
Plans sent to developer for approval on Tuesday this week - hopefully 2 weeks for approval?
Then apply for building permit - hopefully another 2 weeks?
Then i am not sure how long to site start?

Anyway, if it makes any difference, our house is not standard, we have a lot of upgrades and if you don't already know by now, i am a pedantic person, so nothing is going to be "rushed" if you know what i mean.
I will be employing the services of an independent inspector, maybe Kevin, to look at possibly pre-plaster and handover stages for us - so that might slow it down too.

So i'm still game if you are, Cookie?
The building process is stressful enough, let's just have some harmless fun with it along the way....

For sure.. all fun.

OK lets compare notes.. our plans were submitted to council on Friday.. approval takes 6-8 weeks so Im told. Site start will not be until Jan/Feb I believe.

You're pedantic too!? We're two pedantic peas in a pod.

Wanna share your list of upgrades?.. ours are very very lots.

We will also be getting an independant inspection done at pre-plaster stage and at final handover.
The goal: who will finish first?
The prize: A DVD of the winner's choice.

Have fun!!!
[/quote]

There are two houses build by Clarendon in my area. The first one was under construction until handover 12 months!!!
The second one is under bricks stage but things are not going any faster than previous house.

Unfortunately the one happy owner is not that happy with the quality. The maintenance team is 2 a week in his house and correcting stuff ups. I am surprised and dissapointed. Clarendon was in a group of my favourites.

)
kate
Major Upgrades /Variations we have selected are (Due to confidentiality agreement i can't disclose pricing):

Total : 340.3 sqm Brick Veneer Single Storey House with:
1. Different facade option
2. Double ++ garage being an extra 2.5m wider than std with rear roller door access option
3. Grand size alfresco option
4. Grand size theatre/rumpus (with double doors) & dining room option
5. Longer corridor for bedroom option
6. Larger ensuite option incl. spa
7. Higher ceiling option
8. Increase size of architraves & skirting boards
9. Upgrade all door handles
10. Add wall and double doors to living area (now its a kids room
)
11. Double doors to study
12. Upgrade toilet suites
13. Glass splashback to kitchen
14. 40mm Caesarstone to kitchen
15. 20mm Caesarstone to bathroom & ensuite
16. Tiled bases to both showers
17. Laundry cupboards with st/stl insert
18. Upgrade towel rails to doubles
19. Upgrade shower screens
20. Add additional dctd htg vents to bathroom & ensuite
21. Cooling
22. Additional exterior junction boxes
23. Downlights to entry/hallway/kitchen/family/dining areas
24. Surge protector to switch board

These are the major options not including the requirements of the estate that we are building in. (eg. roof pitch, etc).

Now the issue is, H3nley have not built our house with this many upgrade/options. So it has been really difficult to visualise what we are going to actually get, cause no one but us has been silly enough to want/buy it!!!!

So it will be a very interesting trip.... They better not get it WRONG.....i'll be driving past and checking them every day so should be fine... I am not one to stay quiet...that's for sure...

But Cookie, we are hoping to start hopefully late November??? That might be an unfair advantage....
But i'm happy to go along for the fun of it anyway... Unless someone else wants to race me?
I don’t care who wins…….Its just going to be fun watching the game!!!!
Our home will be 385 sqm.

Our upgrades are:
1. Façade upgrade
2. Bagged and Painted
3. Third garage
4. Brickwork to above garages
5. Panel lift doors to garages
6. Rear roller door to third garage
7. Provide 2 windows to upstairs rumpus
8. Eaves
9. 4 zone Aircon
10. Granitguard termite barrier instead of chemical reticulation
11. Window to side of 3rd garage
12. 6.38mm glass with acoustic seals
13. External wall Insulation (R2.0)
14. Ceiling Insulation (R4.0)
15. Roof Sarking
16. External Wall sarking
17. Continous Hot Water - Rinnai Infinity 26 + 4 controllers + smartstart feature
18. 60mm acoustic sound insulation to all internal walls
19. 115mm acoustic sound insulation to internal floors
20. Upgrade kitchen cabinets to polyurethane
21. Leaf guard system for gutters
22. Tiling to ceiling (bathroom)
23. Tiling to ceiling (ensuite)
24. Tiling to ceiling (powder)
25. Tiling to ceiling (laundry)
26. Tiling to ceiling (wc)
27. Semi-frameless showers
28. Shower to powderroom downstairs
29. Water tap for fridge.
30. 2 extra external taps
31. Upgraded roof tiles
32. Upgraded alarm
33. Glass kitchen splashback
34. Solid internal doors
35. Tapware upgrade
36. Door handle upgrade
37. Window to laundry door
38. Frameless bevelled edge mirrors
39. Upgraded tiles in wet areas
40. Fly screens to windows + security doors
41. Ceramic cistern toilets
42. Drawers to bathroom vanities
43. Upgrade shower heads
44. Upgrade bathroom towel rails
45. Upgrade shower soap holders
46. Upgrade shower shelves
47. Upgrade toilet roll holders
48. Moulded vanity tops
49. Kitchen handle upgrade
50. Upgrade Dishwasher - Electrolux ESL6143 fully integrated
51. Upgrade oven - Electrolux EOB6790X
52. Upgrade cooktop - Electrolux EHG97X 900mm gas
53. Upgrade rangehood - Electrolux EFC935X/A 900mm stainless canopy
54. Add built-in microwave - Electrolux ESL6143
55. CFL downlights on lower levels
56. Provision for garden lighting front and rear
57. Additional light points
58. Extra TV points
59. Additional power points
60. Pre-wire theatre room (7.1)
61. Ensuite Spa
62. Auto garage door opener

Phoenix, like you I don't think Clarendon has built a home like this with so many options. At the tender appointment the phrase "You've done this before" and "you've done plenty of homework" was said several times.

But we will be living in this home for at least the next 12 years.. when our daughter will finish high school, so we want to make sure our home is something we are very happy with.

Lets keep the competition going though.. it's fun.
We have recieved developers approval for the house!!! Woohooo
Application for building permit is set for tomorrow. We have been told that it should take about 10 days (
sorry Cookie
) And our CSR hereby known as "T" has said they will endeavour to be onsite a.s.a.p. after that.

Will keep updating as i hear more....

Very Happy.

Go H3nley Go!!!!!
Cookie - you're screwed. Plus it's easier for me to celebrate your loss in Berwick
Related
1/10/2023
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

the stair balustrades? There is nothing special about these and I imagine literally every stair installer will be able to do this.

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum