Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fence cutting our boundary

Page 1 of 1
We have just received a quote for our boundary from our neighbours.

The quote includes 7 metres then 19.5 metres which means there is no fence on the garage.

Only problem is our garage isn't exactly on the boundary. It is only 15 cm from the boundary however our driveway is going to be quite close to the boundary and we want a little garden bed between the driveway and the fence so 15cm will make a difference!

We called the fencing guy and he said they would just bring the fence over so it lined up with the garage which technically means we are losing 15cm.

Will they actually construct a fence that close to the garage or is it just too close?

We aren't that fussed over losing 15cm overall it will just look better at the front with that little bit of extra room for a couple of plants up the side!

What does everyone think we should do?
If I were you, I would have them build the fence along the true boundary & stop at the garage - and re-start afterwards (if you are going to put fence forward of garage) so you get your garden path.

I would not want to give 15cm away for free to my neighbours - you paid for the land, so you are entitled to it.
over the length of your block you would be losing about 5m2 - it's not nothing, and they absolutely can't do it. Tell them that they build it on the boundary, and if they want to build a little divet in to your garage on both ends then they can - that way you would lose the 15cm along the garage but nowhere else. If the neighbours are concerned that their yard will look funny with a little jutting out bit along the fenceline then tell them to build the fence the whole way along. Simple. But they certainly shouldn't get your land for free, and your plans for your own land shouldn't suffer for someone else's greed.
Just tell them the garage isn't on the boundary and you want the fence the whole way along the boundary. Nothing they can do about it really. If you want it that way, that's how it goes.
Ari
Just tell them the garage isn't on the boundary and you want the fence the whole way along the boundary. Nothing they can do about it really. If you want it that way, that's how it goes.

pretty sure it is against council regs to build a fence that close to a wall- it encourages vermin etc because you can't get in the space and clean it out.
guess there must be some reason for building close to boundary but not on the boundary (i'm guessing builder f#@kd up).. but think council would not be happy with that either to be honest. but yeah you don't want to be handing valuable land to your neighbours. So "somewoman's" response would be what i would be voting for.. and if they are unhappy about the appearance offer to sell them the land at market price..
Not all councils are like that. Depends where georgie is building
topaz
guess there must be some reason for building close to boundary but not on the boundary (i'm guessing builder f#@kd up).. but think council would not be happy with that either to be honest.

We have a build to boundary block and had two choices - build on the boundary and have the gutter sitting on top of the garage wall (we took this option) or have the gutter in the normal position which makes the gutter on the boundary and the wall around 15cm inside the boundary.
catjim
have the gutter in the normal position which makes the gutter on the boundary and the wall around 15cm inside the boundary

This is what must have happened with us but we didn't have any choice!

Thanks all for your replies the only problem we are finding is that the fencer is adament the garage is on the boundary so if we want to dispute it we will have to get it re-surveyed.

We might just get our own quote and see what happens and if they say the same thing we will just go with somewomans idea and get the divet at the garage.

Thanks again everyone
you should have site plans that would show where your boundary is and where the house sits in relation to said boundaries. If you don't, call your builder and request them.

The fencer should know better than that. Very poor form on his part
You should only lose the 15cm on the garage side. The fencer should make a 15cm wing at each end of the garage and then fence along your boundary. Technically this means the neighbours gain the space on boundary side of the garage wall, 6m x 0.15m = 0.90m2, this is what was done at our previous home.
Hi, We had the ssame situation with our last house where our gutteriing for our garage was on the boundary, not the garage wall. the fencer just put in a little return to the garage!
Related
5/04/2024
Fence boundary - New Lot

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone, My lot has just been titled and during the settlement we found that the rear pegs were not visible. We requested for a re-establishment and pegging plan…

10/04/2024
New Fence - Boundary

Building A New House

Hi, It’s important to keep in mind that dividing fences have thickness, so it’s impracticable to expect them to be wholly constructed within the neighbouring…

19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum