Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

SunshineT's Build: Garden pics

Page 126 of 222
How come you changed from sliders to hinged T?

And what is it with some tradies, not a thought of their own in the world.....just auto pilot, robot style.....!!!!
nina marie
How come you changed from sliders to hinged T?

And what is it with some tradies, not a thought of their own in the world.....just auto pilot, robot style.....!!!!

hi nina. last minute decision, but decided we would have better access with hinged. The kids' robes are 1800 wide, and the sliders were going to be 820x2 so we would have lost a little, plus a little more with the drawers on each side (behind the door studs), plus difficult to get into the middle part of the robe behind the sliders... Don't know why it only took us 12 months to figure this out. Actually, it was doing the robes with jodge that made us realise. We will see how it turns out as the doors that were delivered were the sliders...

as for robot tradies - are you referring to the whirly bird installers? If so, yeah, we just totally didn't understand how they did that. It's further back too, not in line with the other one (if they were in line then both of them would have been over the roof cavity). Go figure?!?! We're not fussed about it though...
T getting closer....
When are you in?
We were in 2 weeks after painting finished.
kiwi
When are you in?
We were in 2 weeks after painting finished.

rub it in kiwi
You had the dream builder. no idea, at least another 6 - 8 weeks I am guessing... We haven't finished painting. They just did the undercoat (and there will be 3 coats)... Actually, that has made me wonder when they will do the other two coats, meaning whether they do it after stuff gets installed. Who knows?!

SC - thanks, yeah, happy with progress recently. Very slow this week, but that's the way. It's coming together nicely.
We moved in before the painters had finished..........
6 weeks ain't long. Whhooooaaa!
T, the painters come in at the end, virtually after everything has been completed and roll the last two coats of paint.
I would say 6- 8 weeks is reasonable, carpenters for a week, tiling for 1-2 weeks, cabinetry/stairs etc 1-2 weeks, final fitout 1 week, final paint 1 week
and obviously lots of little things, electrician, floor sanding, gyprock sanding and patch up, plumbing....
Oh and clean up

The boys have some kids on Tafe placement at the moment and they cleaned my house beautifully yesterday, all rubbish picked up, all floors swept, all piles of timber stacked nicely, they started karchering the windows but didn't get far, but still it looks so much cleaner than before!
gogo65
"karchering"

Now that's a new word .....

Better than gurneying though
I knew exactly what she meant!!!

I've been known to do a spot of karchering.

"Oi! DS go karcher the ute!!!"

....It is a well used word in this house!!!
Never heard of that word before

Dilemma!! I showed my trusty friend (the one who has an architectural background who has helped me pick and design a lot of the house, in fact she even helped with scouting the original block / house when we first bought 5 years ago...) so this friend is intimately involved and has great taste (even though a tad above my budget). Aaaaannyway, she looked at the pendant and strongly advised against it on the basis that it will date. She also convinced me not to put a pendant in the great room - too much going on with downlight, clerestories, two fans. DH absolutely agrees with her and I can see that now too. So will get the pendant spot capped so I can think about it once we move in.

But there will still be a pendant in the stairwell. $950 is a lot of money for a pendant... My friend has suggested I look at David Trubridge pendants (on the basis that more classic / simple / won't date as easily). So now I am totally torn. Here is the link to his lights. I must say, they are rather nice...

http://www.davidtrubridge.com/Designs/lighting/

Oh, and carpenters did turn up today and are doing woodwork. At 3.00 DH dropped in and was surprised they had only done master and one other bedroom (but gogo did say they were slow). They reckon they will be finished tomorrow, but I can't see that happening.
OK, what do you think of this? gogo posted a pic on another thread, but here it is from the David Trubridge site...

http://www.davidtrubridge.com/Designs/l ... ts/coral/#
T-can you post the original pendant that your friend pooh-poohed up on this page?

IMO the Trubridge pendants are becoming almost "common"-lots of people put them up now.... I know there have been a couple of people on this Forum use them.....as Kiwi says " If it makes YOUR heart sing-then go for it!". Wise woman is Kiwi!
The David trubridge are lovely lights but I can't see how that won't date any slower than the pendant you had choosen

SunshineT
:lol: Never heard of that word before

Oh, and carpenters did turn up today and are doing woodwork. At 3.00 DH dropped in and was surprised they had only done master and one other bedroom (but gogo did say they were slow). They reckon they will be finished tomorrow, but I can't see that happening.

You know I'm good at making up words, morokaing, karchering(high pressure cleaner)

Hahahaha at the carpenters, that's about the speed they did our house, a couple of rooms a day, so all of a sudden they are going to do the rest of the house in a day
Deemaree
T-can you post the original pendant that your friend pooh-poohed up on this page?

IMO the Trubridge pendants are becoming almost "common"-lots of people put them up now.... I know there have been a couple of people on this Forum use them.....as Kiwi says " If it makes YOUR heart sing-then go for it!". Wise woman is Kiwi!

Here you go

Huge fan of Trubridge - are becoming quite common. I am planning on getting either his floral pendant or choosing the protea pendant by Tim Whiteman ( aussie designer). Have seen Trubridge's coral pendant in a few places and it looks great .

I think there are pics of the coral pendant in the reno thread '$60,000 on the first step' (or something like that)
Personally I like your original choice better.
I think it is more in keeping with "Casa Qualia".....the Trubridge is too pale IMO.
gogo65
The David trubridge are lovely lights but I can't see how that won't date any slower than the pendant you had choosen

Completely agree. Particularly as they are becoming so popular.

I do like your original choice. That's just as nice as a Trubridge.
Pete_n_Pet
gogo65

Completely agree. Particularly as they are becoming so popular.

I do like your original choice. That's just as nice as a Trubridge.

Good point Peta and gogo. I have realised though that maybe my original choice (the dark metalic one) is a tad too dark. gogo made a comment on her thread that her dark pendants matched her dark bamboo floors. We are having spotted gum (which is much much lighter) and although dark grey carpet on the stairs (which is where the pendant will go), I am starting to think a light fibre might be the go. But then again we do have dark window frames. Oh my god - I feel like a see-saw!!! making myself dizzy.
I love both of the lights you have picked but If you are thinking budget (and I know it becomes tighter and tigher as you progress through the build) would you consider doing an ikea pendant? I think this one would cast lovely patterns on the wall:
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40147463/

This is the one we are doing in our entry - mostly because we couldn't agree (I love the David Trubridge but DH doesn't) so we decided to get a cheap one until we saved up for a really fantastic pendant. This one will be ok for a couple of years:
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/produ ... #/60155013
Related
1/03/2024
Native garden plans

Landscape & Garden Design

Fig Landscapes has produced an e-book and native plant index, available for purchase from their website. It's a great resource, full of inspiration and tips. Another…

27/03/2024
Vertical Garden Kitchen splash back design

General Discussion

Our Bondi Greenwall was impressive from day one with advanced lush plants to provide a wow factor to this recently renovated living area. The boundary was less than 1…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum