Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 28 of 723
taki
We paid our deposit on 13/11 and I suppose I can expect a colour pack soon (hope it's good). I'm trying to obtain Geotech from developer, which would save us around $400.
I asked for flyscreens to be included in the quote as I've heard they are not too expensive, but was told they are, I will ask about this at the colour appt then, would prefer to have them doen before the move in.

Bricks are my main worry, we need exposure grade and we want to pick solid coloured brick, as we are going with Classic facade and being Havana Elite, it will be fairly wide and needs to look good.

b.lizzie-do you recall garage colours that are standard. Have you narrowed down your choice of bricks. I thought about contacting PGH and Austral as from their websites you can't tell whih ones are solid.

We hope to start building in March-April.

Did anyone upgrade external/internal doors and what is the choice.

We need to keep the costs down, as I think our site costs will be more, 1.5m fall front to back, need around 700mm cut and same for the fill, at least won't need soil removal I hope.

Castlevania, I was looking at Austral, I don't mind Symmetry Asphalt and I've heard it's solid colour. Are you going with brick or bag/render?

Hey Taki
I just realised we are building the same design! Drive around and look for other houses you like with a similar front - It has really worked for our deciding.

Lizzie
macca2000
thanks guys. No blog started yet hopefully i'll get around to starting one soon it will be great to see the progress 12 months down the track

a few of the display places have been good, they could tell me with the balinese resort facade we have chosen, (which we have already had to pay like $10k for) that we have to pay extra for the door to be stained & extra for the woodlike garage door etc etc (they had already pointed out on the brochure that it didn't include the wood windows which i can live without, but they obviously ran out of space on the brochure to list all the things it actually excluded...)

bugger lizzie, i wish we got ur person for walk through. The lady said she thought we would have her on the actual selection day, that will be very interesting. She started out with the "no i'm not telling you that price, you'll have to wait until ur appointment". Well i've already done my homework lovely & i know what i like & i've priced them already. After my husband pointed out that i got my "cranky pants on" she started to rattle off a few prices like $1500 for tiling to the top behind the rangehood...this seems extremely high has anyone else had the extra tiling in the kitchen done? Do you remember a rough price??

Also, has anyone seen the standard vanity tops to the bathroom of a stuart everett? she couldn't show me an example & i've only seen ceasar stone in their displays... i'd just like to see our options

Hi we are also getting the balinese resort as well.Do yuo know how much the wood garage door was and the window frames . i didnt realise they were excluded
Hi we are also getting the balinese resort as well.Do yuo know how much the wood garage door was and the window frames . i didnt realise they were excluded[/quote]

Hi, no idea on window frame prices but garage door is $675 according to colour pack
and the colour selection lady didn't give a price for front door to be stained yet... will keep you posted
macca2000
Hi we are also getting the balinese resort as well.Do yuo know how much the wood garage door was and the window frames . i didnt realise they were excluded

Hi, no idea on window frame prices but garage door is $675 according to colour pack
and the colour selection lady didn't give a price for front door to be stained yet... will keep you posted
[/quote]

Hi Macca,
We have a stained front door and door jambs, that will cost $475.00 in lieu of standard.
But not sure if it makes a difference our front door is 1200 wide.

Riccathome
How much did people go over the base rpice for their homes ours seems to be blowing out
bee224
How much did people go over the base rpice for their homes ours seems to be blowing out

We went over by $100k. Including flooring.
woodduck
bee224

Ours is seeming alot over also. Is that including structural extras such as alfresco and concreting etc

Lizzie
b.lizzie
woodduck
bee224

Ours is seeming alot over also. Is that including structural extras such as alfresco and concreting etc

Lizzie

Yeah, structural, wall moves, grand alfresco and quiet a few other small changes.

We were told by another building company that you could add approx $80-$100k on top of base price, we didn't believe them until our last tender came back.
Hi all,

We are going with Elite and also alfresco grande with concrete, so will end up probably around 80K or more above the base price, as we need to upgrade bricks and will probably have higher site costs due to salinity and land fall.

b.lizzie-thanks for the info on bricks, I checked those standard bricks and must say none of them are to my liking and if 3K is the maximum upgrade price, I'll be forking out for it, given that I'm going with classic facade. Will also need to upgrade garage door colour then, depending on the brick choice.

Got message about the colour folder being sent 2 days ago, still no sigh of it, how long did it take for others. I probably won't be home and I'm worried I'll miss it.

When it comes to colours and style, I will be the one choosing all of it, hubby just wants his study/music room.
Hi all,

Me again this time expressing my frustration.

I suppose I could say that the communication breakdown has started. I e-mailed sales yesterday to check when can we expect a variation document given that I'm not sure of how long this process takes. Well I received the call today late afternoon to check why we have not responded to the document that was apparently sent via e-mail on 21/11....

I got them to send it while I was on the internet to make sure I receive it, thankfully it happened, however there were some mistakes and some unclear and unexplained things, so cannot move forward just yet. Hoepfully this will all be corrected in one go.

Qyestion for anyone that is including sliding door, for eg in Havana between kitchen and children's activity. We are not going with the designer type as thises are 3K + and want to go with standard sliding. Does anyone know if these would be the same width as designer?

Cheers,

taki
Hello all,

I been reading this thread for months now and have finally decided to post. we are currently building the Beachside Entertainer with MJH.in the Newcastle area We got the process rolloing in January and i must say compered to Huxley Homes who we built with 6 years ago the process has been long and drawn out. It seemed like a real battle to get itto the contract stage and their colour selection process is a little strange. They seem to forget whos paying for the house sometimes. We currently have a slab, a frame and the electrical fit out has been done( not impressed the wires will be out in the weather for a length of time and the brick layers should be startingg on Monday or Tuesday as they have been there and loaded the job up as they say.
Our first site supervisor for the slab was nice guy and i give him 110 out of 100.
MJH do not seem the cheapest by far by hopefully you get what you pay for We are cuurently 135k abiove the basic price and we still have to do drivewaways , floor & window coverings. Building as goy dear in teh last 6 years with all this extra basix and bush fire red tap. Will post some photos soon
Hi fletcher21, congrats. Hope it all goes well for you.
Did you make many changes??
Woodduck
Hi Taki,

Hope you have better luck than us with your bricks. We picked PGH Sandstocks at a price of $5000 extra which looked lovely and then the brick cleaner washed them. We now have a complete disaster as he blasted too hard and 50% of our wall area needs to be repointed. How this can be fixed is yet unknown. We are devasted at how they look and are very disappointed at the response from MJH.
Hi 1155,

How terrible that this has happened with your bricks, since you've paid so much for them. This is what I fear, choosing carefully and then they don't end up looking good. Hopefully they find a solution for you.

I received the colour folder today and brick section only has standard range bricks from Austral. Nothing about other categories, let alone upgrade prices. And letter says to choose brcik before colour appointment. Ours is booked for 26/1, and hopefully they'll respond to my e-mail asking about more brick choices. None of the standard ones are exposure grade.

A bit confused with other things, such as no photos of door handle selections, Actron brochure instead of Darby, not sure if I can choose from either Laminex or Formica for cupboards/vanities and Ceaserstone/Essastone for benchtops, also no colours of glass splashback. Glass splashback/stone benchtops are included in Impression package for us.

Question for all who got free upgrade from 22.5 deg to 26 deg roof pitch? I can't find this in my preliminary tender, should I mention this now or wait till colour appointment?
Hi Taki,

Did you just get the roof pitch or did you get the impressions package for free?

Josh
Got an Impression package for free, but can't see the roof pitch mentioned in the first document we signed. Now we are onot deposit variations, came back wrong and was wnadering if I should mention this given that it is structural.

Have a question regarding shower screens for Next Gen designs, are semi-frameless included?
Also is getting 2 kitchen colours and upgrade?
Hey Taki,

If you read the impressions package booklet it mentions the roof pitching in there.

I believe they are I'd have to speak to Danielle as to what the "standard" is, as she is right into the bathrooms today for some reason?!?
Good to hear things are moving along nicely for nearly everyone. Well it only took around 4 weeks to get through council,loan is all sorted, all docs received and signed now just the wait. Guessing with tradies having the break over christmas it might be a new year start but starting to feel the anticipation a bit more now.

One question for those who have gone with an independent building inspector. Is he part of the process all the way through or does he just do the final inspection at hand over? Also what was the cost if you dont mind me asking although you cant really put a cost on having peace of mind?

Good luck to all.
Hi, I saw The Havana out at Oran Park on the weekend and feel in love with the render of the Balinese resrot facade. Does anyone know what colour it is? I am desperate to kow cos Im having trouble trying to find a render colour we like and can agree on.
taki
Hi 1155,

How terrible that this has happened with your bricks, since you've paid so much for them. This is what I fear, choosing carefully and then they don't end up looking good. Hopefully they find a solution for you.

I received the colour folder today and brick section only has standard range bricks from Austral. Nothing about other categories, let alone upgrade prices. And letter says to choose brcik before colour appointment. Ours is booked for 26/1, and hopefully they'll respond to my e-mail asking about more brick choices. None of the standard ones are exposure grade.

A bit confused with other things, such as no photos of door handle selections, Actron brochure instead of Darby, not sure if I can choose from either Laminex or Formica

26/1 is Australia day you might want to check the date
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum